'Gravity tank' for VFR RC30 project

Guest seansparkle

Guest seansparkle

Hi All,

Second question from my RC30 replica project,

I want to use an NC30 tank on my VFR750 (4th gen) for my RC30 project (would love an RC30 one but seem to be as rare as rocking horse, er, teeth).

From what I can see teh VFR uses a pressurised fuel system via a fuel pump, the NC30 and RC30 both had a simple gravity type system (pretty sure most of the earlier VFRs did), can I simply ditch the fuel pump and use that type of tank, running the fuel line from the fuel cock to the carbs?

Any help would be welcomed!

Sean

You may run into problems when the tank gets below half, down to a quarter. It will probably work fine with a full load of fuel, and less so as the tank empties.

The 750s used an external fual pump, sucking out of the tank, so I see no reason why you could not plumb the NC30 tank's outlet into the VFR's electric pump inlet.

Article number 1 is the fuel pump, you can see where is sucks out of the fuel tank of the 4th gen via articles 6 and 4.

captureqw.png

The pump would not care what bike the tank came off of, so long as the petcock is open, there is enough fuel in the tank, the tank is higher than the pump inlet, the hose size is adequate and not kinked, the tank is properly vented, and the filter is not plugged.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

You may run into problems when the tank gets below half, down to a quarter. It will probably work fine with a full load of fuel, and less so as the tank empties.

why does every assume this?? this completely FALSE!!

the 1st, 3rd and 4th gens will be fine till the last drop as long as you are under 125 mph .. if you go faster for more than 15 min , the bike is " out running" the fuel and it bogs down .. so YOU simply go 115 for a few min and let her rip again..

as for the 2nd gen.. it had a set of tubes in the gastank that needed a pump suck the gas UP ,then down to the petcock.

the fuel pump is for HIGHSPEED..

its NOT needed unless your are driving like a nut.

it a not an uncommon mod and WILL NOT hurt your bike.

the fuel pump has been OFF of my 86 vfr since 1990.. and its STILL running like a top! :cheerleader:

oh by the way i added a long gas line the an easy accessible inline on. off swich

Archived