which helmet

nedhills

You 'd better copy and bring the info to this site rather than throwing some links to other sites.

That would make inconvenience to the people you want to ask, and also make the thread looks like some sort of advertising or SEO.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

I just picked up a new helmet today as my old one was well past the end of its service life. Regardless of the helmet model you choose, I cannot recommend highly enough that you go to a shop that stocks the helmets you're considering and try each on. Fit varies between manufacturers and also between models of helmets from the same manufacturer and there is no way to tell without test fitting. A poor fitting helmet can cost you your life or serious injury. Find the 1 or 2 that fit best and wear it for 15 or 20 minutes in the shop. I spent 2 hours in a local dealership wearing helmets last Saturday. Some were so bad they gave me a headache. The one I settled on feels like butter. The staff there was very knowledgable and willing to let me stand around with their floor models on my noggin. I bought the best helmet I could afford - that is one area where I will not try to save a buck. The local dealer was about $20 more than on-line, which I thought was a bargain considering they let me try on 7 or 8 of their helmets. There are numerous videos on Youtube about fitting helmets - find one that helps you get the right one.

• Member Contributer

I wouldn't ask which one should be chosen...I ask why would anyone ask for someone else's opinion on what to buy? The only thing you can't go wrong with is buying from motorcyclegear.com! Good people and great prices...

Since we're talking about choosing for others, makes it a good time to bring up the thought, that when anyone goes to a store to try on helmets, I'd suggest wearing a skull-cap to get the right size with......... it's a lot easyier to clean the cap than it is to remove the liner, and you will be tempted to wash more often.

• Member Contributer

Just a few things to consider, weight, field of vision, noise level and of course comfort. Most of which require one thing...trying on the helmet. The only item you will not find out about until you wear it and ride with it, is noise level. Although most seasoned riders will tell you to just wear ear plugs, having a quiet helmet is great when you run out them or forget to wear them. (Been there done that!)

Something I have found useful, is looking at several web sites and reading the buyer reviews on the ones you have your eye on. Many times you will find that there's something really great about the helmet but another really annoying item about it. For instance "face shield fogs easily", "a lot of whistling when I get above x MPH", "fit was tight at first", etc. What I found is that some people might find something to complain about but 10 others didn't have the same issue. I read a lot of different reviews and really looked at what was most important to me before I finally pulled the trigger on my helmet purchases. Although I did buy a Bilt helmet at Cycle Gear on impulse, it was half off and I have it as a spare or for guest who might want to take a ride with me.

I hope this is helpful, good luck on finding the right one and ride safe.

Cheers

I just picked up a new helmet today as my old one was well past the end of its service life. Regardless of the helmet model you choose, I cannot recommend highly enough that you go to a shop that stocks the helmets you're considering and try each on. Fit varies between manufacturers and also between models of helmets from the same manufacturer and there is no way to tell without test fitting. A poor fitting helmet can cost you your life or serious injury. Find the 1 or 2 that fit best and wear it for 15 or 20 minutes in the shop. I spent 2 hours in a local dealership wearing helmets last Saturday. Some were so bad they gave me a headache. The one I settled on feels like butter. The staff there was very knowledgable and willing to let me stand around with their floor models on my noggin. I bought the best helmet I could afford - that is one area where I will not try to save a buck. The local dealer was about $20 more than on-line, which I thought was a bargain considering they let me try on 7 or 8 of their helmets. There are numerous videos on Youtube about fitting helmets - find one that helps you get the right one.

:+1:

Proper fit is Everything. Is your head round, oval, etc.??? Figure out what shape shell best fits your head shape, then try all the brands/models in that catagory and pick the one that feels best, looks are secondary IMO.

:smile:

• Member Contributer

Dealing with a local dealer would definitely be my recommendation.

There again, I have a great dealer to work with.

Reading reviews and doing some research is a great start.

Once you have some idea what you are looking for, (Price range, style, features), go to the dealer and try several helmets for fit.

As has been said, the fit can be much different between helmets from the same manufacturer.

Ask questions such as what kind of feedback the dealer has received from previous buyers.

They hear some good suggestions and definitely hear the complaints.

Make your final decision based on how you feel about the helmet.

I have owned Shoei, AGV, Bell, (When Bell was one of the best), and presently use a HJC CL-SP that fits, feels great and seems to equal any of the others in quality. The HJC prices are amazingly reasonable for what I consider a high quality helmet.

As far as noise with any helmet, wear earplugs!

• Member Contributer

As far as noise with any helmet, wear earplugs!

:+1:

I went to a safety supply store (where you would get ear muffs, reflective vests, safety harnesses, etc for construction workers) and bought a box of 200 - about $25. That way I never have to look for a pair and don't tend to skimp on them. I never ride without them. I keep them in my jackets, tank bag, saddle bags, etc so I always have spares with me or to give to riding buddies.

• Member Contributer

Hope you got better local dealers then I do, I would most certainly buy from motorcyclegear,com GREAT PEOPLE. CopmAcc.com has some great deals right now. I just purchase this one.

http://www.compacc.c...ce-Race-Helmets $289.00 to the door. HJC are hard to beat.

COOL VID ON YOUTUBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbIDO4c6eeo&feature=related

• Member Contributer

Hope you got better local dealers then I do, I would most certainly buy from motorcyclegear,com GREAT PEOPLE. CopmAcc.com has some great deals right now. I just purchase this one.

http://www.compacc.c...ce-Race-Helmets $289.00 to the door. HJC are hard to beat.

COOL VID ON YOUTUBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbIDO4c6eeo&feature=related

Very nice!

Not my style, but it is one good looking helmet.

Seems to have all the features you could want.

You probably will be visible when wearing it.

And I do have a good local dealer.

He's also one of my best friends so that probably helps a little, too. :smile:

I had the CL-16 Hellion. Pretty decent helmet, fit my head nicely. I loved the Pinlock system, but the visor mechanism was shitty. the plastic screws that hold the hinge in place stripped out after about 2 months and it was always really hard to open and close the visor. it might of just been mine, and i didnt attempt to have it replaced, but besides that it was a pretty nice helmet for the price.

• Member Contributer

This is my fourth HJC no problems so far. Got a Scorpion EXO-1000 really like it BUT the hardware that attaches the shield to the helmet is JUNK. Took a small strike to the shield and both base plates broke. I was on the foothills parkway not far from the house so went back and got the HJC FS15.

I have been waiting for new Nolan N104. I have had three N103s over the last few years and they work for me. I have owned most brands over the years but never HJC. Guess I need to try one sometime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Several HJC's, all good except the faceplates fog up. Scorpion Exo great with fit and no fog shields, good on price. Now happy with Zox modular for long rides. Well made, and no-fog works well. Use a helmet skirt and it goes dead quiet. http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/wind_stopper_helmet_skirt/web1006881

• 4 weeks later...

Like kbyte255 I am shopping for the new Nolan 104Ncom modular bucket. I know its BEST to try helmets on at a dealers... But the nearest dealer with lots of variety is 3hrs ride east of here in Calgary.

Anbody on this site that has a head like mine ( no not that head) ..I mean a coconut thats halfway between a medium and a small ??? The last HJC I got was after trying helmets on for an hour ... and when its all said and done the HJC at medium is too loose.... the small was an obvious TOO tight.

So with the Nolan on mail order (backordered) whats the concensus on medium or small .... its modular do they fit different from a full head.??

Not looking for someone to make up my mind .. just surfin for input, preferably from a head thats 22 inches around (??small at 21 3/8 inch V medium at 22 5/8 inch??).

• Member Contributer

Like kbyte255 I am shopping for the new Nolan 104Ncom modular bucket. I know its BEST to try helmets on at a dealers... But the nearest dealer with lots of variety is 3hrs ride east of here in Calgary.

Anbody on this site that has a head like mine ( no not that head) ..I mean a coconut thats halfway between a medium and a small ??? The last HJC I got was after trying helmets on for an hour ... and when its all said and done the HJC at medium is too loose.... the small was an obvious TOO tight.

So with the Nolan on mail order (backordered) whats the concensus on medium or small .... its modular do they fit different from a full head.??

Not looking for someone to make up my mind .. just surfin for input, preferably from a head thats 22 inches around (??small at 21 3/8 inch V medium at 22 5/8 inch??).

I found doing my shopping that manufacturers make various shapes - long oval, medium oval, round oval for example. Arai is very specific about which is which in their line, but not all manufacturers are as so . Various helmets may have the same overall measurement around, but will fit differently depending upon head shape. If you can't find an example of one you're interested in to try on, this site has (for me) a useful article about helmet shapes by model. They also have model specific reviews as well.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

As others have said, it's all about the fit, snug, but not too tight

For me, and my head, I have found over the years Shoei is The One for me

When I bought tbe RF1100 I found the best deal I could find online, and printed it out

I took that laser to my local shop and said this is what I want, what can you sell it for

The reply was we can get that no problem, and I'll beat that price by 10%

I only like clean, solid, bright, single color helmets for greater visability, I got the orange this time

Shoei_RF1100_Solid_Helmets.jpg

Archived