Camera Reviews............

LookingHard

FWIW, the February issue of 'Car and Driver' has a review of 4 cameras...........

Contour Roam.........Drift HD..........Go Pro Hero2..........and Replay XD1080

Basically, they feel that the GoPro does the best job.

YMMV

LookingHard

• Member Contributer

Seems GoPro Hero2 is the way to go. Without reviews its kinda hard as a consumer to get past all the fanboys who sing its praises who haven't tried other high end options. I can't get past the wonky form factor.

I just bought a Contour ROAM (for 25% of what a GoPro Hero2 would cost me), so the GoPro would have to be 4x better to be worth the money. The ROAM has one big advantage over my other vid camera (a Tachyon XC) - it is 'instant on'. Turn on the switch and it's recording in less than 2 seconds with no other interaction required. Don't know if the Hero2 does that; but I know the earlier model did not.

One disadvantage to the Contour is that it uses *only* it's rechargeable battery, which has a life of ~2 hours. The Tachyon uses easily replaceable AA's, and new ones last ~6 hrs (about the same life as the capacity of a 16Gb SD card).

I'm curious if the magazine review considered any of this stuff (but not curious enough to go buy it).

• Member Contributer

One disadvantage to the Contour is that it uses *only* it's rechargeable battery, which has a life of ~2 hours. The Tachyon uses easily replaceable AA's, and new ones last ~6 hrs (about the same life as the capacity of a 16Gb SD card).

There are different models of the Contours. Oddly, the difference between them is whether the battery is removable or not. IIRC, the GPS and intro version both have removable rechargeable batteries, while the ROAM model does not. But all come with the ability to have a charger on them while in operation.

There are different models of the Contours. Oddly, the difference between them is whether the battery is removable or not. IIRC, the GPS and intro version both have removable rechargeable batteries, while the ROAM model does not. But all come with the ability to have a charger on them while in operation.

Yes, and I now have the bits to wire up the bikes so I can power the ROAM while riding. That 'instant on' feature is brilliant. :)

Here is a link to the article..................

http://www.caranddri...ra-test-feature

LookingHard

And that article says "There's a small toggle switch to run on the power and a big toggle switch to start recording." and that is WRONG. The ROAM has ONE switch, a big slider, on the top of the camera. Turn it on and the camera fires up and begins recording.

• Member Contributer

After reading that article, it actually looks like the Replay XD is the better performing out of all of them, when you're looking at image quality. Only problem is that it doesn't have a wide angle lens. But to be fair, the others seem to just have a bubble lens on it to get the field of vision, which isn't a true wide angle lens.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like my Contour GPS. Stupid simple to operate, plus I got the connect card for my iPhone...letting me make settings adjustments and preview the shot via bluetooth. Having a spare batter is nice too.

Here's my first test with out of the box settings, then color tweaked in iMovie just for drama.

I had a Gopro hero 2 under the tree this christmas. I tried it on my quad and it worked good, excellent resoulution. I already have a mount built for my bike, but alas, it's still not riding season in Alberta yet. I took it to Mexico and used it for underwater pics while snorkeling at Xel-Ha. Pics are good as long as the sun is out. The only thing I don't like about it is the software is finicky and won't load on some older computers. I am computer savvy enough to get it figured out, and I have a buddy who is head IT tech where I work if I run into trouble. If they made the software less finicky, it would get 5 stars from me. And yes, as mentioned above, it needs a remote,or bluetoothed to your smartphone to make it easier to operate. Can't wait to try it out on the bike.

• Member Contributer

I just picked up a Countour Roam for $180CDN. Brand new, no tax as it came from a guy who won it, but already owned a GoPro.

Haven't used it much at all yet, but like the instant on factor, easy mounting options, it's soooo compact & light, has a tripod screw hole, and decent optics.

In doing some research on it and others, I'm pretty dam happy with it for the price I paid, however . . . .

As I'm doing more video for work (and play) the Contour GPS has a few options that attract as well, except for the price:

The aforementioned bluetooth link to iphone / android for quick monitor view of what the camera sees, as well as adjusting settings.

The ability to shoot at 60 fps in 720p mode - which allows for smooth slow motion in post editing, great to emphasis cool action scenes.

Swap-able battery.

Back to the Roam, it's simple, water resistant at 1 meter for 1/2 hour = no issues for rain or water area shots.

I've got the software on my netbook, though not as quick & handy as bluetooth on a phone, I could easily hook up and change.

The only settings on the roam you can change are the video quality (720@30fps, 960 and 1080@30fps) or photo mode (a still pic every 1,3,5,7 . . . 30, 60 seconds).

This is kind of mute for the roam. More like set it to 720p and leave it.

Oh ya, in 720p mode it shoots to 170 degrees. Objects close up have 'fish eye' affect, 1080p mode is 135 degrees. Not as wide, but HD and less distortion.

You can purchase an underwater housing for around $45 which is good to 60 meters (I really like that as I am a scuba duba).

I picked up two 32gig micro SD cards for $115 (one for my phone / one for the roam).

I'll see about posting some sample videos up once I play with it a little, and once it stops snowing :mad:

Later . . .

• Member Contributer

I just wish the GoPro had a damn remote control.

Rollin

It does, coming next month....

http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/wi-fi-bacpac-remote-combo/

If you have the new H2 unit, you can transmit what the Camera is seeing over wifi, if you wanted to use it for CCTV or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone use Kodak PlaySport Zx3?? HD movie and price on Ebay is at $50.00 only with free shipping.

Kodak-PlaySport-Zx3.jpg

kodakplaysportreviewimage.jpg

Here are details:

Description:

Record your child's swimming lessons with the Kodak Playsport ZX3 Waterproof 1080p Video Camera. Waterproof in up to 10 feet of water, you'll be able to capture each leg-kick in full 1080p video with the 5 MP CMOS sensor and monaural microphone for capturing sound. The camera is equipped with electronic image stabilization to reduce shaking and SD/SDHC expandability for up to 32GB of video recording.

Get close-up with the 4x digital zoom for videos of them splashing in the water. Built in HDMI and USB 2.0 connectivity allow for television and computer playback, or use the 2-inch color display for instant playback. With a 5MP camera mode and a rechargeable Li-Ion battery, the Kodak Playsport is a tough and versatile video camera.

Features Include:

• Waterproof up to 10 ft.
  • 1080p HD recording (1920x1080, 30 fps)
  • 5.3 MP camera stills
  • Movie and camera mode
  • 5 MP CMOS sensor
  • Li-Ion rechargeable battery with AC adapter included
  • 4x digital zoom
  • Electronic image stabilization
  • 2 inch color display
  • 128MB internal memory
  • SD/SDHC card expansion slot (up to 32GB)
  • 39.4" – infinity focus range
  • Auto white balance
  • H.264 (MOV), AAX LC video file format
  • JPEG still file format
  • Monaural microphone for capturing sound
  • Speaker for playback of sound
  • HDMI, USB 2.0 and AV out connectors
  • Windows (XP and up) and Mac (10.4 and up) compatible
  • Factory refurbished

Package Includes:

Playsport Video Camera, Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery, Adapter and Cable for Charging, HDMI and AV Cables, Wrist-Strap, User Guide, Arcsoft Media Impression Software for Kodak

• Forum CEO

I have the older countour hd, the Roam does not have the removable battery, like my hd does, the gps has a gps of course and a card slot for the remote bluetooth view finder, and the Countour plus has the removable battery improved electronics and the biggest lens of all the cameras removing that fish eye distortion from the view and still giving 170 degree field of view - but at $500 bucks its out of my price range. They also have a video streaming pack for live video via RF signal. I guess you get what you pay for, the roam is the cheapest they got and well its not the best.

My HD is pretty good - does not have the 170 degree field of view but 130 degrees but it does have removable batteries. 3 year old tech but still damn good, other then the wind noise issue I have with it.

• Member Contributer

I picked up the Outdoor Edition GoPro Hero2 and I think it's a lovely little camera!

I'm a little spoiled when it comes to Video/Photo equipment as I have a Canon 5D Mark II and Canon 7D at my disposal but the Hero2 is great for doing what it does. The small form factor is phenomenal.

The only downside I have with it is lack of LCD, even though you can buy it additionally. Having to guess what angle or what the lens may see is my only gripe!

Archived