Then and Now Images

Guest sfarson

Guest sfarson

skylinenow.jpg

FWIW, something different. A ride report over many years. Then and now. Standing where the photographer stood many years ago. I didn't always get it right... rushed pics, different lens, and other excuses, but hey, there was always a bike pausing nearby or idling underneath! They do, or can, cause moments of reflection.

The mining community of Apex in the late 1800's, having a 4th of July parade...

apexthen.jpg

Apex today, a semi-ghost town about five miles NW of Central City...

apexnow.jpg

Bonanza, as in "It's a bonanza boys!" flared when a rich gold vein was discovered nearby. President Ulysses S. Grant visited upon reports Bonanza could be the next Leadville...

bonanzathen.jpg

The gold was mined and fires swept through the close proximity structures (A common fate of many frontier towns... wood heat, wood structures, no 911)...

bonanzanow.jpg

Tracks were laid over the Boreas Pass summit to haul ores from Leadville to Denver...

boreasthen.jpg

The tracks were pulled up in the 1930's, and in the 1950's a road was placed on the old rail bed. Riding friend Rick cheesily agreed to place himself where the train was...

boreasnow.jpg

The Cathedral Spires along the North Fork of the South Platte...

cathedralthen.jpg

Two rails then, two wheels today...

cathedralnow.jpg

The pastoral Dedisse Ranch above Evergreen...

evergreenthen.jpg

That pastoral Bear Creek above would turn demonic when its raging waters would crash through towns below after heavy rains. The dam creating Evergreen Lake had me off to the side for the "now" pic...

evergreennow.jpg

The Bradford Junction community in the late 1800's would gather at this ranch for all things social... dances, celebrations, etc. Perhaps this was a July 4th gathering. Bring your best attire was often the unstated rule...

foxtonthen.jpg

Today, busy U.S. 285 passes by the same place near the town of Conifer. Had the elevated highway not been present, could have relocation for a better comparison...

foxtonnow.jpg

Gold Hill is the location of one of Colorado's earliest gold strikes. An image from around 1890...

goldhillthen.jpg

In a way, not a lot has changed. Well, there are more trees... less need to cut down the nearby woods for structures and heat. Colorado's oldest continuously operating school is here. The massive Four Mile wildfire of September 2010 licked the edges of the town off to the left, but a valiant firefighting effort spared the historical buildings. If you have a BBQ sandwich at the general store, a pot bellied stove is a main source of the heat and the bathroom is about the size of your coat closet...

goldhillnow.jpg

A thrilling road just for owners of new fangled cars was built above Golden around 1920...

lookoutthen.jpg

Today the Lookout Mountain road thrills for owners of two wheeled transportation devices. The sun kindly obliged and a rider was caught just in time on the far left...

lookoutnow.jpg

Marshall Pass about 70 years ago...

marshallthen.jpg

And today...

marshallnow.jpg

Narrow gauge trains/rails were used 100 years ago because, well, they were narrow and could squeeze between canyon walls and rivers. Denver passengers often took weekend trips into the mountains on these trains. Not far from Buffalo Creek...

peterheadthen.jpg

The aptly named Peterhead Rock today. Could have climbed higher for a more accurate "now" image, but I risked life and limb just getting this high!

peterheadnow.jpg

An 1890's hacked out road just south of Ouray...

skywaythen.jpg

Today's famed Million Dollar Highway...

skywaynow.jpg

Cripple Creek and Victor pumped out so much gold, the amount was greater than the California and Alaska gold rushes combined. Back then Victor had a population of 5,000...

victorthen.jpg

Today about 400 call Victor home. Most downtown structures are empty...

victornow.jpg

Looking west towards Westcliffe in 1900, towards the dramatic Sangre de Cristos Range...

westcliffethen.jpg

Well, someone has surely came along since then with some seeds or seedlings!

westcliffenow.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Wow! That is a neat concept. Great work. If you did not know any of the history, just think of everything you would be missing. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for posting this. Very cool!

And congrats on your 150th b-day :laugh:

Funny how much of what was natural did not change too much after all that time. You can see the same boulders, rocks, cracks and crags in the pic hardly affected by time weather and man.

Human beings are just passing along and eventually, I suspect will not be in future pictures of the same sites.......

Thank you very much for posting the pics. They should all be in a book one day!

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Thank you - that is awesome! Great work! :fing02:

The lookout mountaint pic is very cool - I wanna go there!

• Member Contributer

A great idea and very nicely executed. Are you going to be at SumSum? If so, I'd like to stick close to you. I might learn something, (or, more likely, lots of stuff).

• Member Contributer

Love it. I have a few similar photos of new/old here in Colorado. John Fielder books are my favorites. I hope that doesn't tarnish my "high intellectual image" HA! Yes, photo books are my favorites and I love to compare new/old and am often surprised at the number of NEW trees that weren't in the old ones. Good work!

Funny how much of what was natural did not change too much after all that time. You can see the same boulders, rocks, cracks and crags in the pic hardly affected by time weather and man.

Human beings are just passing along and eventually, I suspect will not be in future pictures of the same sites.......

Thank you very much for posting the pics. They should all be in a book one day!

Beck

95 VFR

Kind and thoughtful thoughts everyone.

There can be reflections from older images... what remains, where there is change, what vanishes. Photos of people from previous generations can cause a pause, at least with me, as if then was their time on the stage of life, and now we're up on the stage. May we say our lines well, and with gusto. A few more...

In the late 1800's the townsite of Tarryall, on the magical Tarryall Road (County 77 - Park County) sprang to life with nearby gold and silver deposits... but it wasn't a long "sprang". The town also went by the unflattering name of "graball". Guess the merchants, tradesmen, middlemen, etc. charged or took whatever they could from the miners. The nearby county seat was named "Fairplay" because we "play fair" with the miners. The "garden spot" of Tarryall in the 1880's...

tarryallthen.jpg

A riding friend and I wandered all over the place trying to find the location of the above...

tarryallnow.jpg

Back when inmates were sentenced to "hard labor", the nearby residents at the Canon City State Prison constructed this amusement park like road called Skyline Drive.

skylinethen.jpg

I found the photo above after taking the photo below. If ever in the Canon City area, ride this thing. The one way road with its blind rises will leave you with your stomach in your throat if you gas it a bit!

skylinenow.jpg

Downtown Steamboat Springs 1945...

steamboatthen.jpg

Now if I could have climbed to the second floor of the store behind me I could have come a bit closer!...

steamboatnow.jpg

Berthoud Pass back in 1915...

berthoudthen.jpg

This rider's pass is gorgeous in more ways than one...

berthoudnow.jpg

Archived