Then and Now Images

Guest sfarson

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like "FM light and Son's" is not only still there in Steamboat but has expanded.......

Yes, how about that. And the Safeway Store, at the time, next door. Grocery stores have changed a bit since then!

Surprised my wife with a weekend riding trip to Steamboat Springs two years ago. She wanted the destination a secret. Well, I forgot well-known F&M Light places advertising signs on highways leading to Steamboat... "See F&M Light in Steamboat Springs for the best selection of cowboy boots. 45 miles." Dang. After about five of them she guessed where we were going. :huh:

• Member Contributer
... May we say our lines well, and with gusto. ...

Amen to that my friend ... great set of pics sfarson, thx for posting.

BTW ... I've been thinking (read "dreaming") of a new Hypermotard for my garage and have seen a few incredible pics of yours on the Duc website - very nice indeed!!

This is one of the best posts I've read on Vfrdiscussion in a while. What a great way to explore and document the area you live in. It's really quite amazing when you look at historical photos and see how much things have changed.

Kind thoughts everyone. As always. For a few more strolls through past...

A festive 1901 Labor Day in the thriving, mining community of Eldora...

eldorathen.jpg

Well, with the mines less thriving, so is the now sem-ghost town of Eldora. What a contrast...

eldoranow.jpg

Boy, when roads were created for autos around 1910-1920, there was a craze to go on group "drives". We can relate with our two wheeled things eh? This is Bear Creek Canyon west of Denver. How would you like to be going the opposite direction?

bearcreekautos.jpg

At the mouth of Bear Creek Canyon then...

bearcreekthen.jpg

Bear Creek Canyon now...

bearcreeknow.jpg

When fires swept through communities back then, seriously, little could be done. Many towns saw flames pass through more than once. The Cripple Creek fire of 1896. Dang...

cripplefire.jpg

Hey, let's start building more often with brick. Four years later in 1900...

cripplethen.jpg

And 110 years later. I should actually be a few feet forward...

cripplenow.jpg

About 60 years ago, the D&SP station house in Como was in a state of decay after the tracks over nearby Boreas Pass were pulled up.

comostationthen.jpg

Things are coming around a bit, but things are also still a little slow and sleepy in Como (named by Italian miners who thought the area reminded them of home)...

comostationnow.jpg

Nevadaville, about a mile SW above Central City, boasted in 1865 a population of 4,000... one of the most populous towns in the state at the time. The first big gold strike was nearby...

nevadavillethen.jpg

The population today now hovers between 5 and 10...

nevadavillenow.jpg

• Member Contributer

I just love going over photos like this... thanks for posting... here is my version of then and now...

2545714215_db00fd31c6_o.jpg

Same spot 43 years later...

2544425302_2536d4d300_o.jpg

This post got me to thinking maybe I could do the same thing here locally. So I googled some old photos taken around the area looking for prospective sites. Fat chance! Our horizon is so flat here that there is nothing permanent enough to figure out where to take the "now" photo from.

This is a nice post, sure nice to look how things change during time. Spechally two places I like, both seem to be werry enjoyable whit a 2 wheeled :tour:

This...

lookoutnow.jpg

And this

skywaynow.jpg

• Member Contributer

I think this thread pretty much epitimizes what a road trip on the VFR means to me. Travelling to places I have never been and trying to capture the feel of the history each stop has.

You just took it to the next level with putting the past and present pictures together. Truly epic. Well done Sir!

Archived