::: ACE MTSG - Another weekend to Dalat...

_DSC0003.jpg

Close to X'mas, ACE MTSG (a big bike rider group in Hochiminh City) set up a short trip during weekend. We tried to avoid riding there during X'mas day as there would be very crowded and the services may not be good as expected.

We divided in two group, first one departed from Friday PM, the second one, just me and a friend departed Saturday early AM as we still had to work on Friday.

This thread reports from my departure.

Trip destination is Dalat (Đà Lạt) - a beautiful highland City in southern part of Vietnam.

And here is the tracklog for the trip:

Tracklog.jpg

Departed from home about 4 o'clock plus, the City seemed still asleep, yeah, no wonder, that 's Saturday AM.

Heading to Dalat with thinking of all the twisty passes ahead, Bao loc and Prenn passes.

Weather is too nice for a morning ride. It's quite cool, abt 18 degree C.

Stopped beside a artificial lake - it was a valley, then a dam has been built and the valley become a lake, utilized for a hydro-power plant.

The Sun was rising, but still yet to appear on the sky:

_DSC0003.jpg

My bike:

_DSC0014.jpg

_DSC0010.jpg

My friend's:

_DSC0006.jpg

_DSC0009.jpg

Took a last shot before getting back on my ride - The Sun still yet to come:

_DSC0012.jpg

This time, we did not see any fog along the way, different from the last time, even though it's colder.

Stopped by beside La Ngà bridge:

_DSC0015.jpg

So peaceful river:

_DSC0017.jpg

People make the cages and tents on the water to raise fish

_DSC0019.jpg

Rode on for about 60km more, we stopped for breakfast.

My friend's Hornet 919 - I had own two of Hornet 919 previously. That bike damn strong with high torque and stable performance.

_DSC0020.jpg

Crazy heavy VFR made me do a reversed parking to avoid rolling the bike after a full breakfast:

_DSC0023.jpg

(... to be continued...)

Reached Bao Loc pass, the pass I have captured a video and shared with you guys.

Photos again:

_DSC0025.jpg

_DSC0028.jpg

_DSC0031.jpg

Then keep riding toward the cool highland:

IMG_8803.jpg

IMG_8805.jpg

IMG_8807.jpg

Here's how I can have the riding photos:

IMG_8788.jpg

Green along the road:

IMG_8790.jpg

IMG_8794.jpg

Do you know what 's on the ground?

IMG_8798.jpg

The things in brown on the canvas - anyone knows?

IMG_8799.jpg

(to be continued...)

Stopped for fuel:

IMG_8786.jpg

Just a little chicken strips as I have passed the Bao Loc pass with about 10km twisty road.

_DSC0040.jpg

Took a clearer photos for the thing I asked: _DSC0039.jpg

Most of the houses beside the road having such thing spreaded for drying: _DSC0038.jpg

That's coffee, guys. Vietnam is famous with Coffee, just Vietnamese coffee style - stronger than any coffee from Starbuck, Highland, etc...

DSC_0187-1.jpg

(Coffee with hot water in filter)

Here 's how we make a cup of Vietnam coffee everymorning:

Kept riding:

IMG_8821.jpg

IMG_8824.jpg

IMG_8839.jpg

Kept shotting:

IMG_8817.jpg

IMG_8850.jpg

My friend might say chees:

IMG_8834.jpg

Clear road:

IMG_8829.jpg

Unclear road:

IMG_8844.jpg

Gotta stop for a while as they are prioritized: IMG_8846.jpg

(to be con tinued...)

Almost 10:30AM, we reached Dalat, called our friends who have been there for the meeting place.

They all were ready and awaiting for us before going to a friend's house.

Met and waited infornt of a Tourist place, called Golden Valley:

_DSC0041.jpg

This place is very nice, peace full and very cheap for any kind of services, from accommodation, food, etc...

_DSC0046.jpg

Here is where the Forestry station:

_DSC0047.jpg

What 's hell this guy doing?

_DSC0044.jpg

And here, this guy must be taking care of trees:

_DSC0045.jpg

We took aout 15mins at this place to get all of our lunch to be arranged. We would be heading to my friend's house, it 's about 15km deep inside the forest with very limited of service if not saying no services.

Got on bike, we took abt 10km twisty roads, then about 5km offroad - damn really offroad. Will have a video for this later on. After this, found that VFR can do offroad also! Dude!

All team stopped beside the stream. This season, there is not much water. But during raining season, this gonna be a flooding source. There were at least 02 offroad cars has been drifted with the stream.

_DSC0049.jpg

Our bikes were not advised to pass the wooden bridge:

_DSC0053.jpg

_DSC0056.jpg

My bike with the stream:

_DSC0058.jpg

I passed the bridge, then looked back:

_DSC0061.jpg

_DSC0059.jpg

_DSC0062.jpg

(to be continued...)

Okay, now we done all the difficult parking, moving into my friend's house area - need to pass 02 streams thru wooden bridges:

_DSC0067.jpg

Where we take a rest:

_DSC0068.jpg

This area very peaceful, silent, cool and so beautiful. To have this, the owner has spent a lot of money, time, his head and mind. To get here, he did build a temporary road/trail abt 4.5km long. The main road is @ Elev:+1500m and the house area is @ Elev: +1350m. It takes him almost 7 years to get the thing like now:

_DSC0070.jpg

_DSC0077.jpg

_DSC0081.jpg

_DSC0074.jpg

_DSC0075.jpg

A building in progress:

_DSC0073.jpg

Our stuff:

_DSC0082.jpg

Chit chat:

_DSC0071.jpg

_DSC0076.jpg

This is firs house of the owner here. Now he is modifying the basement to make an entertainment room:

_DSC0072.jpg

We visit the hydropower machine:

_DSC0078.jpg

It's s hydropower generator - take water from the hill, this could provide almost of the living power users here:

_DSC0079.jpg

Passed the noon time, looked at this, feel hungry and wanted a bite of BBQ:

_DSC0085.jpg

Waited to long for the food to come, we gotta satisfy with the instant noodle... hic hic...:

_DSC0099.jpg

A handy job:

_DSC0089.jpg

Yamy...

_DSC0086.jpg

_DSC0087.jpg

_DSC0084.jpg

(to be continued...)

Haha... you must be kidding Rosso. :D

It's too risky to pass those bridges by bikes. It's not too far from where we parked to our chitchat place, so we can leave the bikes there for walking in.

You rite on the issue of Rune. It was so difficult when we made the return. Damn heavy bike.

Some more nice spots at the place:

_DSC0090.jpg

_DSC0092.jpg

Endless chatting:

_DSC0094.jpg

_DSC0101.jpg

_DSC0095.jpg

Construction is still going on....

_DSC0097.jpg

What a smell... cool.gif:

_DSC0096.jpg

(to be continued...)

Lastly, the food came.

_DSC0106.jpg

We have "cơm lam" - the traditional rice with the cooking style of the remote area people:

_DSC0105.jpg

For the normal rice, they cook by boiling in a cooker. But for "cơm lam" (~ green rice), they use a segment of bamboo tree instead of the cooker. Rice, with special leaf (to add the flavor) with water put inside the bamboo segment, cover it by another leaf, then provide heat from burning wood. When eating, just pull the leaf then the cooked rice will come out:

_DSC0107.jpg

Really great:

_DSC0109.jpg

Some mountain chicken as well:

_DSC0111.jpg

We have sang so many songs...

_DSC0108.jpg

This friend came back from Westminster, CA, really enjoy with us there:

_DSC0110.jpg

_DSC0125.jpg

_DSC0114.jpg

_DSC0116.jpg

_DSC0123.jpg

The guy was great with romantic guitare:

_DSC0126.jpg

In the jungle with love :clap:

_DSC0127.jpg

(to be continued...)

We took some time for rest after lunch.

Almost dawn time, we started to gather for heading the city.

Took some nice photos at the peaceful place before saying goodbye:

_DSC01432.jpg

_DSC0144.jpg

_DSC0149.jpg

_DSC0148.jpg

Heading to the way back, thanks to the place owner for the very good time:

_DSC0150.jpg

There was the difficult part ahead, even turning the bike:

_DSC0151.jpg

I am ready:

_DSC0157.jpg

_DSC0159.jpg

This is a valley, so the sun came down very fast. Saw it almost down:

_DSC01672.jpg

Almost of bikes are ready:

_DSC0171-2.jpg

_DSC0173-2.jpg

_DSC01742.jpg

This damn heavy, waiting for the owner to come and we turn it toghether:

_DSC0168-2.jpg

There were still some more works:

_DSC01752.jpg

_DSC01772.jpg

(to be continued..)

We heading back while the sun coming down the hill.

The dark came so fast, really different from our imagination. On the way out, we stuck there for abt 20mins as there was a malfunction truck at the middle of the road.

_DSC01782.jpg

Safely back to the hotel. Took the water hose to have light cleaning to our bikes.

_DSC01872.jpg

Bikes were right at our windows:

_DSC0188.jpg

Used taxi to go for dinner. Here 's dinner place:

_DSC01902.jpg

Some add-on, very suitable with the cold here:

_DSC0191.jpg

Small black chicken inside:

_DSC0193.jpg

_DSC0194.jpg

_DSC01922.jpg

_DSC0195.jpg

Impressive:

_DSC0198.jpg

Afterward, we went to Dalat night market:

_DSC0199.jpg

Almost people there are tourist. Lots of foods on the street.

_DSC0200.jpg

_DSC0203.jpg

Some clothes for winter:

_DSC0201.jpg

_DSC0202.jpg

Chitchat again:

_DSC0207.jpg

Get some more breads at the coffee shop:

_DSC02082.jpg

Slept very well that night.

(to be continued...)

I got up early the next morning. Started my bike for a while for warming up at wake up others.

_DSC0215.jpg

_DSC02162.jpg

_DSC0217.jpg

_DSC02182.jpg

_DSC02192.jpg

_DSC0220.jpg

_DSC0221.jpg

Breakfast at hotel:

_DSC02302.jpg

_DSC0248.jpg

_DSC02502.jpg

Oh, here 's the welcoming flowers from hotel to us - thanks to the hotel's kindness:

_DSC0232.jpg

_DSC0234.jpg

We gathered in front of the hotel for a group photo:

_DSC0238.jpg

All feel happy:

_DSC02432.jpg

(to be continued...)

Done the group photo, we took a ride around Xuan Huong Lake - the lung and the heart of Dalat City - to say goodbye to the beautiful place:

IMG_8854.jpg

On the way back Ho Chi Minh City, we met our friend from HCMC to join us. It was so pitty to him that he was hanging around with other business so could not be able to join with us from trip beginning:

IMG_8872.jpg

A place to rest ourselves and our bike:

_DSC0255.jpg

_DSC02592.jpg

Belows are some snapshots on the way back to Ho Chi Minh City, just to show you guys how Vietnamese roads look like:

IMG_8859.jpg

IMG_8870.jpg

IMG_8860.jpg

IMG_8874.jpg

IMG_8875.jpg

IMG_8876.jpg

IMG_8880.jpg

IMG_8878.jpg

IMG_8887.jpg

Dalat is very famous with flowers, vegetables and also strawberry. This fellow bought some kilos of fresh strawberry for his wife. Gud man:

IMG_8890.jpg

IMG_8892.jpg

IMG_8901.jpg

IMG_8902.jpg

IMG_8904.jpg

IMG_8906.jpg

IMG_8909.jpg

IMG_8917.jpg

IMG_8922.jpg

This is end of my trip report.

Hope you all enjoy with the beautiful and peaceful Vietnamese scenes.

It's our pleasure to have you visiting Vietnam.

Ride safe, guys.

• 3 months later...

..Thanx VHorse ... the trip report is very nice.... makes me want to ship my self and bike over there to soak up the scenery and culture. Do you have some months of the year that are no good for riding, or have you got 12 months of good weather?

What are fuel prices per gallon. or per liter.

Liked your photos and what a great collection of other bikes you are riding with, Ducs, Yammies n BIMS

..Thanx VHorse ... the trip report is very nice.... makes me want to ship my self and bike over there to soak up the scenery and culture. Do you have some months of the year that are no good for riding, or have you got 12 months of good weather?

What are fuel prices per gallon. or per liter.

Liked your photos and what a great collection of other bikes you are riding with, Ducs, Yammies n BIMS

Thanks Suitcase for your nice words. A lot of foreign riders have come an had great time riding here.

- Fuel price here is now at abt $1.1 per liter (A95).

- For riding seasons, pls see my below quote:

In general, Vietnam divides into two parts regarding weather.

- Northern part, we have four seasons very separately - Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter. Riding could be good within end of Spring, whole summer and Autumn. We so called having no snow in the country, except some very small highland part at very north, and the snowing just appears for some days in the year only. The normal winter in northern of Vietnam is lowest not lower than 6-8 degree Celsius. Hottest in summer may be around 45-46 degree Celsius on the road.

- Southern part, we have two seasons - raining season and dry season. We could ride of course through out dry season, and we still have quite numbers of weather windows for riding during raining season.

Monsoon season is used for our offshore area only. Monsoon season in Vietnam prolongs from October until March of the following year.

Not so many people in Vietnam aware of the "monsoon" season. Lucky me that I was working offshore for couple of years and experienced that damn high wave and swell season.

• Member Contributer

What a cool write up! Interesting to see how some things aren't very different in other parts of the world. Then some things are VERY different! Beautiful pictures. Thanks so much for sharing.

• Member Contributer

:-) Made a lot of stops overseas in the 80's... Always have the desire to go back as a civilian and see what I missed! Beautiful country! Someday soon I hope!

That was a wonderful report you got there, VH. How long did it take you to complete the trip? Back in the days, my mom took me to Dalat and it was about half a day trip on the bus (xe do).

The brown stuff laying out for drying, are they tobacco, the one for chewing?

Archived