Graves exhaust - Modification for VFR 6th Gen?

VietHorse

Modify 1 SS Graves exhaust to fit VFR800 6th Gen?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Yamaha R1 Graves canisters fit with VFR 6th Gen?

2. 2. That's improve bike performance?

3. 3. That's look nice?

How 's your comments and recommendation for the idea:modify the Graves exhaust for YamahaR1 to fit on VFR800 6th Gen.

I am thinking of Stainless steel Graves exhaust.

This brand seems quite famous for racing bikes, especially for Yamaha bikes.

The exhaust looks nice as well.

0704_sbkp_11_z+graves_exhaust_systems_factory+exhaust_pipe_tree.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

Graves21.jpg

955170c6fd9c3e68b4592cab3927c2c3_rough.jpg

• Member Contributer

anything can me made to fit :tour:

Just a matter of skills and/or money.....

How it will look/fill the void can only be judged by test fitting with a few bits of wire

Hahaha... If saying like you, the VFR "discussion" would never been exist. All the discussion, asking for the accessories usage, modification (i.e. gut the exhaust, wire the additional power outlet, choosing the best tire.... etc...) become worthless... :unclesam:

Anyway, thanks for your comments.

People have used stock Yamaha r-1 mufflers on a VFR VTEC before, I see no reason why the graves mufflers could not be made to work.

Depending on how long they are, you might want to shorten them if they stick out past the taillight.

I think they would look good! Ti or CF.

Man, someone is using my name for exhaust systems! Where's my royalty checks?! :computer-noworky:

On a serious note if you can make them work by creating your own y pipe and riser pipe go for it!

I think like all Exhause systems you'll need to have a PCIII or PCV to get more power out of the motor, Catless headers would be good too.

• Member Contributer

Check the OD's to see if they can slide right in where the VTEC pipes are. Fairly sure the Graves will be smaller in circumference, so they should fit under the tail. You will have to cut them down. Most sportbike undertail exhausts, especially Yamahas, are much longer than the VFR pipes.

• Member Contributer

People have used stock Yamaha r-1 mufflers on a VFR VTEC before, I see no reason why the graves mufflers could not be made to work.

I have a stock set of R1 mufflers on my VFR. Unfortunately I don't have any pics in my gallery to show you but the stock length is a good fit. You will need a custom mid-pipe made to get them to fit though. As BR said, throw enough money at it and you are good to go (unless you know how to weld). :491:

Make sure you have a PCIII/V and don't expect much in the way of performance gain though.

Guys, thanks for the comments.

@Canuck: I am looking for the SS version.

@Yoshi: I just have the feedback from a Graves seller on the Graves dimensions. Now at work so can't have my VFR measurements for comparision.

Here are the figures for you all references:

1. Length of the canister (from bolt to bolt at two ends): (just the can = 17.5", total with slip pipe = 20")

2. Circumference of the canister (at the inlet end): (about 12.5" around, its an oval approx 4.5x3.5")

3. Diameter of the extension tube (slip-on end). (approx 2")

@Graves: You could claim for some copyright fee... hehe... The PCIII or PCV will of course make the better performance. However, I think just replacing the OEM VFR exhausts with Graves, it would make more throatiness, less restriction - then the bike performance must be better than with the OEM exhausts.

@Vanion: Belows are some photo of FrankoQ, the 6th Gen with R1 OEM mufflers. But he took the photos with the tail lights off the bike so I don't know how much the R1 mufflers go off the tail.

My another worry is that the VFR OEM muffler has a bend at the middle so the two mufflers are quite close looking from back.

If using Graves, those are straight mufflers, if not carefully adjust, or there is no room to adjust, two mufflers will be far from each other looking from back. That looks bad and also the Saddle rack could not fit.

DSC02823.jpg

DSC02829.jpg

• Member Contributer

The PCIII or PCV will of course make the better performance. However, I think just replacing the OEM VFR exhausts with Graves, it would make more throatiness, less restriction - then the bike performance must be better than with the OEM exhausts.

@Vanion: Belows are some photo of FrankoQ, the 6th Gen with R1 OEM mufflers. But he took the photos with the tail lights off the bike so I don't know how much the R1 mufflers go off the tail.

My another worry is that the VFR OEM muffler has a bend at the middle so the two mufflers are quite close looking from back.

If using Graves, those are straight mufflers, if not carefully adjust, or there is no room to adjust, two mufflers will be far from each other looking from back. That looks bad and also the Saddle rack could not fit.

First, the VFR runs lean. De-restricting the exhaust would make it run leaner so just slapping on the Graves exhaust will likely decrease your performance. Thus the reason you want a PCIII/V so you can tune the fuel maps accordingly.

Yes, the stock VFR mufflers have a slight bend in them but this has no impact on mounting the stock R1 mufflers what so ever. In fact, the mounting tabs on the R1 mufflers are plug-n-play. No modification needed there at all.

To use the mufflers though you will have to cut the inlet pipes short and have a custom Y made for your mid-pipe to fit the VFR. I watched the whole process for the guy who did the work for me so I am quite familiar with what had to be done to make it work. And I have no fitment issues with my Givi brackets for my V35 side cases with the R1 mufflers mounted.

When I get home I will take some pics to give you a clearer idea of what you are looking into. For now though this is the best shot I have:

IMG_0833.JPG

Archived