Michelin Pilot Road 2, 9800 miles

CharlesW

• Member Contributer

It's a slang term used to identify the DOT officers that monitor the trucking industry.

They mostly watch for over weight and over length violations.

They also monitor the drivers logs for length of time spent on the road. A trucker is limited to how many hours he can drive consecutively in the state of Iowa. The driver is required to keep a log of his day/night.

Since business is down, shipping/trucking traffic is down so the officers now are equipped to write speeding tickets to anyone.

I don't really know much about it, but I'm guessing they will be like a kid with a new toy when they get that radar gun.

Still better than the cameras, though. The camera system was actully promoted as a cash raiser by the companies involved rather than a safety device.

The companies supply, maintain, and monitor the camera violations for a percentage of the fines.

• Member Contributer

I hadn't even thought about a "Bear" reference not being that common to many members.

In the old CB radio days when most of the speeders used CB radios to monitor and pass on LEO locations, a highway patrolman was referred to as a "Bear". The highway patrol spotter plane was referred to as a "Bear in the Air". The DOT truck enforcement officers were "Diesel Bears".

A county sheriff was a "County Mounty". City cops were "Local Bears".

It wasnt the term Bear, it was the term Diesil Bear, Im think Bears riding with Truck drivers or driving Diesil Trucks?

But I understand the meaning now, the ones policing the trucking industry on the interstate, they have those here too, but I dont distinquish them, as a different.

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't even thought about a "Bear" reference not being that common to many members.

In the old CB radio days when most of the speeders used CB radios to monitor and pass on LEO locations, a highway patrolman was referred to as a "Bear". The highway patrol spotter plane was referred to as a "Bear in the Air". The DOT truck enforcement officers were "Diesel Bears".

A county sheriff was a "County Mounty". City cops were "Local Bears".

Just had a "Convoy" flashback! (CW MCALL, 1975) Funny.

• Member Contributer

Quick update.

Just passed the 11,000 mile mark and still not to the wear bars. Close, but at least another 1/32", maybe aven a little more.

Getting a little cooler here so I think they will finish the season for me. I really didn't want to put new tires on to just set in the garage for 3 or 4 months.

Although the "new" tires will probably be in a warehouse for several months anyway. :smile:

• Member Contributer

11,000, wow. I'm about to mount my 3rd set of tires for the season, and only put about 6k on the odometer.

So what is your best mileage rear & front so far?

11,000, wow. I'm about to mount my 3rd set of tires for the season, and only put about 6k on the odometer.

So what is your best mileage rear & front so far?

It keeps getting less and less every year! :comp13: I'm swapping my Ohlins out for a Wilbers triple adjustable unit very soon, this will let me fine tune my comp and rebound further than I could w/ the Ohlins. Hoping that will help me get better wear without having to slow down! lol

The PR2 are the best ST tire I've ever used. I'm really enjoying the PR3's right now and might be my new favorite. 10k on tires just does not happen to me or in Florida, period...LOL.

• 3 years later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm bumping this thread for another data point.

I have 9,300 miles on my PR2 tires. They could probably keep going but I've developed a flat spot on the rear tire on my trip home from SumSum3. I've ordered a new set and will install them next week as i don't know how much tire is left and I'm not real confident in them any more.

Since we're bumping old threads, I might as well throw in my data point. I recently replaced both front and rear:

PR2 Front: 18,842 miles

PR3 Rear: 17,325 miles

Mostly freeway commuting in the San Francisco Bay Area. Rears were down to the wear bars in the middle with a bit of meat left on the sides, and the opposite was true of the front.

Replaced them with PR4s front and rear.

• 3 weeks later...

Since we're bumping old threads, I might as well throw in my data point. I recently replaced both front and rear:

Mostly freeway commuting in the San Francisco Bay Area. Rears were down to the wear bars in the middle with a bit of meat left on the sides, and the opposite was true of the front.

Seriously? How? You must weigh 20# and only ride 30mph. Or did you put them on a 50cc Scooter?

• Member Contributer

I removed my last set of Road 2's at 7,500 miles. They were not down to the wear bars, however replacing them provided a significant improvement in turn-in and confidence during cornering. I would estimate they could have made it to 10,000 miles +/-, but for me the handling improvement was worth replacing them sooner.

• Member Contributer

Seriously? How? You must weigh 20# and only ride 30mph. Or did you put them on a 50cc Scooter?

Ditto - I am always blown away by guys saying they got 10,000 miles or better. Know how to twist that right grip? Jeez I am lucky to get 5K on both fr/rr with a sport tire in the front and sport tour tire in the rear. And sport tire in the rear? 3500 if I'm lucky.

17k miles, holy xxxx!

• Member Contributer

My last set of tires, PP3 (front) PR2 (rear) went 13,600 miles with the front being done, but the rear still has a decent amount of tread left. This is on my 6 Gen though which is primarily my commuter/tourer so most of the miles are freeway, highway and just enough curves to keep the tires from squaring up in the center.

My last PP3 set on the 5 Gen lasted about 5.5K miles, but these are purely sport riding miles. I'll say this, I don't ride like Marquez but I'm definitely not riding like Abraham either! Maybe it's a combination of the tire air pressure, road surface and general throttle control that does it but when you think about it, some racers go through their tires before the end of a race, while their competitor, using the same tire has plenty of tire left at the end of the race. In the truest sense of the phrase, YMMV.

Archived