Whether the Weather matters on tour? Wither do you go for forecasts/reports?

• Member Contributer

Last week, I was planning a mini VFR tour in Northern New Mexico, Utah and Nevada but the weather “froze” my plans for one last tour hurrah for 2011.

I was leveraging a trip to Texas for a wedding and stowed my VFR in the bed of my pickup. My much anticipated VFR tour route included big miles, high altitude travel, twisties and mountain roads. Unfortunately after a day in the rain on the way to Albuquerque my launch point, the forecast that evening called for even more rain, thunderstorms, snow, ice and dare I say wind over the entire area to the north. The TV weather channel reports confirmed the Internet forecasts.

While my Chevy routine gave me more options it also added a certain element of “what do you think…what should we do?” Ultimately a decision to forego the potential sleigh ride was a no brainer (if I had one), as my route traveled thru Torrey UT (about 7K ft). And I was planning to ride higher still.

2930319820099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Not sure but the reports I saw indicated the storm was worse than forecast.

This gets me to thinking what methods do you use for accessing the weather reports on tour? What sites do you visit??

This is what I access dependent on my bike and where I stay:

1. Wi-Fi Laptop… sometimes I sponge a Wi-Fi connection with a mobile hotspot if camping in an area with cell access. I usually tap into weather.com or the NOAA site for forecasts.

2. Weather TV channel if not camping.

3. AM and or WB radio.

Other devices I am considering or have evaluated:

1. XM weather integrated with a GPS to include NEXRAD (weather radar).

2. iPad

3. Smartphone (most likely will add next year)……I am not any early adopter.

Instead, I recorded this VFR tour highlight as I my bride shopped for some valuable RT66 heirlooms on the way back to San Diego.

2212046140099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Should, woulda, coulda!!!!!!!!!!!!! May I should have saddled up the VFR but 500 mile days days in the twisties in that weather was not the best choice. I listened to the Winter Storm Warning...........in early October who woulda thunk?

One always wants to justify a decision and I was good to have a German on tour tell me he was stopped at the Grand Canyon south rim for hours because of this.

2589942740099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

Good old Bill had it right! Plus my wife was not eager for me to launch out into the gathering storm either.

I really like the WB radio on the Wing as it sends out reports continuously while I am on the move...plus no fees. Don't think I have ever used my laptop in the middle of the day.............perhaps if I had a smartphone it would be easier to get a weather update while on the move or on a short break. But you need cell/WiFi!!!!!! Most times I would not reroute unless there is snow though!

Sometimes I wonder about the Z665 and the weather radar. But my Z550 is still working fine and paid for and do I need another monthly bill when most times I just go with the flow.

sc-01-lg.jpg

• Member Contributer

Sometimes I wonder about the Z665 and the weather radar. But my Z550 is still working fine and paid for and do I need another monthly bill when most times I just go with the flow.

sc-01-lg.jpg

You can add the XM weather to your Z550, but ya an extra monthly bill just what everyone wants.

• Member Contributer

You can add the XM weather to your Z550, but ya an extra monthly bill just what everyone wants.

I would consider it but I need the ant AND the 550 does not have the Radar presentation. I think the radar would be handy if I was on the road all the time but this year I will do maybe 5 tours total. Not enough to justify the cost.

• Member Contributer

I just got my first smartphone, you can get one of many weather apps for real time updates. I also use CoPilot Live GPS app which includes real time weather reports from Accuweather.

• Member Contributer

Yea I think a smartphone is the way I will go. But I am not an early adopter. What weather apps do you guys like?

Lugging my laptop on the VFR or the KLR is not what I want to do anyway.

Archived