Wierd problem with 5th gen VFR

silverbullet132

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out your starter relay plug as well...the sidestand switch connects there and they commonly melt down.

Nothing melted on the starter relay. Also, did not get to checking the tip sensor...buuttt...

While I had the tank up to check the fuel pressure regulator, I decided to try it. Bike had 0 problems starting with the tank up (near vertical) while in riding position with the kickstand down or up. So it now looks like something to do with a component of the fuel tank. Thoughts?

There's too much going on with this bike, don't know if any of it is related to original problem or if you're just having to sort out several things that have happened at the same time and possibly somewhat related. I'd check the connections on the fuel pump and see if you can trace the wires at least to where they enter the loom. You might have a loose connection or rubbed wire that started all of this by messing with your fuel pressure and your ECU trying to compensate?

There's too much going on with this bike, don't know if any of it is related to original problem or if you're just having to sort out several things that have happened at the same time and possibly somewhat related. I'd check the connections on the fuel pump and see if you can trace the wires at least to where they enter the loom. You might have a loose connection or rubbed wire that started all of this by messing with your fuel pressure and your ECU trying to compensate?

Hopefully it is that simple, it is getting to be quite cold up here in Ontario :(

Makes sense that it could be the wires to the fuel pump, just the whole start on sidestand die as soon as tilted up thing complicates it. Hopefully a connection clean with some product on both the wiring and the fuel pump connectors fixes this issue, I really want to ride this thing.

• 3 months later...

If you're still having problems then just get on ebay and get a '98-'99 harness. I've seen them cheap several times.

Good suggestion, but I have read that the 98-99 harness could go bad while riding causing lights to flicker etc etc. It is an option, but if I have to replace the harness I will just get a 00-01 harness to eliminate the issue mentioned.

• 1 month later...

Pictures of some connectors mechanic found, also narrowed problem down to the running light circuit

img20120309133436.jpgimg20120309133423.jpgimg20120309132549.jpgimg20120309132506.jpgimg20120309132031.jpg

*the cut small green wire was done by him, to ground that circuit elsewhere to see if that solved it*

any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

What. The. Eff.

And I thought my problems were complex. Cutting ground wires to trace faults? Wow. Serious time.

• 2 weeks later...

Stator replaced but he now discovered the cover had been well messed up by the last owner. Found weld fixup spots, and I think caulking too. Told me when he replaced the stator it was hitting off of the flywheel rotor? Ordering a new OEM cover/gasket tonight/tomorrow.

... My 5th gen has 43000 miles with stock everything. No failures.

Thanks Timmy...that's what I wanted to hear!

While I'm planning to check out my '98's wiring & connnections before Tmac, if everything checks out o.k. I'll probably leave the stock wiring and connections alone. I may look for a way to relocate the RR for improved airflow/cooling though.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Stator tested bad, replaced. After replacing the stator it was discovered that the stator cover has been bent and welded back up before. That has since been replaced, waiting for a call back. Hopefully that will be the last of the parts to be replaced.

• 4 weeks later...

Replaced the stator, replaced the stator cover, worked well. He started bolting stuff back on and tested it again, stator was fried. He is now testing the crank to see if it is bent :( Anyone have ideas? possible bent flywheel?

Basically. In testing it resulted that some of the stator phases/wires were shorting to each other. When he first put it in it was charging at 14.2-14.3v, now it charges at 15v+ and nothing has been touched in the electrics since the first install.

• Member Contributer

Basically. In testing it resulted that some of the stator phases/wires were shorting to each other. When he first put it in it was charging at 14.2-14.3v, now it charges at 15v+ and nothing has been touched in the electrics since the first install.

Overcharging has nothing to do with the stator, that's controlled by the regulator! The stator puts out anywhere between 24 and 100+ volts AC, the rectifier converts that to DC and the regulator circuit drops the voltage down to 14 volts.

If your bike is charging at 15+ volts, your regulator is bad or you have a poor electrical connection between the regulator and the wiring harness and battery.

• Member Contributer

Also, sounds like your mechanic is a bit of a muppet.

:+1: nothing makeith any sence

• Member Contributer

I know the voltage is regulated by the R/R, but like I said the stator phases are shorting to each other.

I don't buy it. If it was doing that it wouldn't be generating ANY volts.

I know the voltage is regulated by the R/R, but like I said the stator phases are shorting to each other.

I don't buy it. If it was doing that it wouldn't be generating ANY volts.

I saw him do the test in front of me, either way I will be getting an update on it later today or sometime tomorrow.

• 5 years later...

Archived