2012 VFRD SumSum x2 - August 14 – 17th

didit

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

PS Hulu tv isnt available to canada... And since we had so many canadians at the meet Ill just say this :(

I'm pretty happy that I didn't watch that before we rode the Million Dollar Highway.... But then again, Shade had me pretty spooked before I got there so it didn't really matter. It is one pretty scary piece of road.

• Member Contributer

That's a bummer . . . :sad: Speed Channel is showing that it will be re-broadcast on September 7th - hopefully they'll show it in Canada so everyone north of the border can watch as well.

http://www.speedtv.com/programs/dangerous-drives/

• Member Contributer

Well, made it to Roseburg, OR and off to Washington tomorrow. http://goo.gl/maps/bwj3R

So many roads, so many great days and each day I ride I think about the meet.

By the way, Bridgeport IPA is pretty darn good.

Another shout out to Horsefly Brewing Co & Scott' printing for the outstanding support and product.

I'll mention more on this later, but a big thumbs down to Davis Service Center. The owner royally screwed us.

Something wonderful about owning a VFR and the people you meet.

Even the evacuated people in Anderson, CA would stop and say "nice bikes"

• Member Contributer

A big overdue thanks to Tammy for all the pics and Axel_7 for making sure there was always water & juice ready for everyone.

Thanks to Radar for arranging a SPECTACULAR dinner on Thursday night. Man, those ribs were good.

Thanks to QDawg & Erin for all the help with the maps and the shuttle service.

Thanks to Mike - Pluseb0 for the major gift card.

thanks to the sponsors for all the donations

Thanks to Best Western Red Arrow staff for all the help

Thanks to the ride leaders & sweepers (HS, Buzzard, CVVFR, Shade and others)

Thanks to Baileyrock for the always fun and ever creative banter

Thanks to all who came and all who supported.

More to come, but for now, thanks!

• Member Contributer

Well, made it to Roseburg, OR and off to Washington tomorrow. http://goo.gl/maps/bwj3R

Another shout out to Horsefly Brewing Co & Scott' printing for the outstanding support and product.

I'll mention more on this later, but a big thumbs down to Davis Service Center. The owner royally screwed us.

didit - that's really taking the back roads through the Willamette Valley. On your route just west of Cottage Grove, OR, you'll go through the little town of Lorane - just past there last summer I came around a curve on that road and encountered a herd of elk standing in front of me - so keep an eye peeled.

When you get to McMinnville, if you detour just slightly on 18 East you'll go right past the Evergreen Aviation museum across from the McMinnville airport which has the Spruce Goose. Even if you only have an hour - it's worth the stop - it's a really good museum.

http://www.evergreenmuseum.org/the-museum/popular-exhibits/

Have a safe ride.

didit - that's really taking the back roads through the Willamette Valley. On your route just west of Cottage Grove, OR, you'll go through the little town of Lorane - just past there last summer I came around a curve on that road and encountered a herd of elk standing in front of me - so keep an eye peeled.

When you get to McMinnville, if you detour just slightly on 18 East you'll go right past the Evergreen Aviation museum across from the McMinnville airport which has the Spruce Goose. Even if you only have an hour - it's worth the stop - it's a really good museum.

http://www.evergreen...pular-exhibits/

Have a safe ride.

Tyke and I did this on the way back from the PNW meet in Troutdale. Very impressive. Don't miss the missle launch command center.

Too bad they did not get the space shuttle. I was hoping they would.

Also, the 747 waterslide should be open by now. Bring your swimming trunks!

• Member Contributer

Didn't take the water slide, but a 747 on top of a building is a good photo op . . .

gallery_20057_6120_418451.jpg

Here's a video of how they put it in place - not something you see every day.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the tip, would have rode right past.

Looks & sounds like a very worthwhile stop, capping off a great trip.

Much appreciated.

• Member Contributer

Hit the museum and nothing but great roads all the way to Kelso.

Blew the pipe insert out of the header so now I sound like a teenager's honda civic with no muffler.

Choco made it to meet us. Having beer, dinner and a ride together tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips.

• Member Contributer

I got home Tuesday at 3:30 am. Had a casual ride home. No problems. I spent a couple of days riding in the Nebraska Sand Hills region. Great high-speed roads. Left Valentine NE for 511 mile "sprint" home. Sunday and Monday night were gloriously cool. I think I heard Sunday was to set an overnight record low. Camping at Meritt Resevour was quite comfortable for a change.

Tony, thanks for putting on a great event. I really had a great time. Your organizing skills are remarkable. Thanks to all who made it possible. The riding was truly spectacular. And the dinner Thursday evening was fabulous. I'm still waiting to see what I won at the raffle. Something about an upgrade to fork work.

I'm already looking forward to the next SumSum. But three years is a looong wait.

• Member Contributer

Well, we just arrived in Monroe, WA after a nice cruize up the coast with Choco.

Last night before CVVFR, Jfviffer & I head our separate ways.

It's been just over 5000 miles, too many roads to name and blessed weather the whole way.

I'll be posting up the SumSum Summary once I get home, get settled and get back in the groove.

So many great ideas for the 2015 meet, I'll have to start working on them now.

Book your time and save your pennies, it will be even better.

• Member Contributer

Made it home, the last 361 miles to the Okanagan, BC.

Home cooked meal, warm welcome and ALL the laundry done.

Blew out one of the exhaust / header pipe on Thur aftn so I sound like a harley. Everyone looks, but for the wrong reason.

Thanks to CVVFR, Jfviffer & a little choco for an incredible ride home.

No tickets, great beers, good times, comfy rooms (all BW) and the radar detectors paid for several times over.

• Member Contributer

Didit you sure didit up good..........

Not sure how you’re going to top this meet! I can’t say enough how great it was to come back to the hotel and have nice cool keg at our disposal form the great people at horsefly brewing, much appreciated after a long ride through some of the best rds Colorado has to offer. The giant big ass maps were great, got me wanting to do all of those roads, which I did and some. I do love maps. Mark form Scott’s printing did a great job. Took the time to ask me about how my ride was each evening was much appreciated. Great seeing some old VFRD faces and meeting some new faces always a great group.

After a total of 4200 miles made it home the long Way. What a pleasure to ride with 2 of the best riders/peeps I know. Lots of great memories to keep me going through the winter thanks guys for letting me tag along.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Got back last night after detouring to Aurora, CO for a few days to visit a friend. My ride was 3,700 miles of great weather and good roads.

Funny story: I roll up to the border crossing (truck crossing at Blaine, WA) yesterday and the Canadian border guard tells me to shut off the bike and remove my helmet--the usual drill. He asks me where I've been, for how long, what I'm bringing back--also the usual. Then he starts berating me for my "chicken strips"--"I'll have to show you how to ride that thing!" Turns out he owns an '02. We chatted a bit about VFRs, the Colorado meet, the 7th gen (he doesn't like them and is thinking about going BMW)--I felt badly since there was a half-hour lineup heading north!

Thanks to didit (Tony) for organizing, Buzzard60 (Ron) for leading the rides, and Cogswell (Curry) for the new avatar shot (be careful when you choose a display name--I had no idea there was a town in Montana named Belfry!).

I really enjoyed meeting many of the folks whose posts I've been reading for the past couple of years, seeing some people again whom I met in Nelson last summer--and getting to meet the boss (HS a.k.a. Miguel) and Baileyrock (Kevin).

I'm still working on being a better photographer (that is, I can take a picture I just don't like to stop riding to do it!), but I'll add a shot or two to the picture thread once I get them off the camera and sorted.

Thanks again!

• Member Contributer

Yet another big thank you to Tony for a great meet! And all who attended!

After somewhere around 6000 miles I made it back on tuesday night. The old VF made it. I had a great time. Only one leaking fork seal, and a scraped fairing having dropped it once off of the centerstand in Boulder. But I didn't break a mirror like someone we won't name with a pearl black 6th gen that is basically my neighbour.

Saw great landscapes for the first time, drank some really nice beers in Montrose, Boulder and Ft.Collins, toured several caves and caverns, watched storms pass over the arches, and had a blast in Montrose riding with y'all! Will post some photos once organized.

Its back to work for me and getting used to these ridiculous french units of measure!

Looking forward to 2015!

• Member Contributer

My own summer ride took me, coincidently, to western Colorado on of my way to Laguna Seca. Obviously, I missed out on some great riding - if I'd been more active here I would have taken a different route to Monterey and joined in the fun.

Thanks to HS I now know that the 25 mph signs don't apply to VFRs ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to make it official ...

We got back late last Sunday night. Did 523.8 miles on our last day ... even did a little dirt road out in the middle of BFE.

Not to mention having to dodge a Bambi on our last day. Oof.

Didn't get home until after 10pm.

7 states.

3,921 miles.

No tickets, no crashes, no fatalities.

Over 700 photos taken .... it will be *quite* a while before we post a report. lol.

Fracking awesome trip. :^)

Cheers! - Randy et Stoosan (Flying Ant)

Archived