2012 VFRD SumSum x2 - August 14 – 17th

didit

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Sorry, this is not enough notice :laugh:. I have sold the KLR and I will be scouring the web over the winter for my next bike... no idea what to get, but I always thought the RWB anniversary VFR was a nice set up.... may be time to get back into the VFR fold and do a longer road trip next summer (hint hint).

NO!!! SAY IN AIN'T SO!!!!! No more hooligan in Nelson?!?!?! WTH?!?!?! :-))))

C

PS we all knew you were going to see the light, it was just a matter of time...

I will try and maintain my hooligan profile on whatever bike I end up with :tongue: - I will be taking a friend's Triumph Tiger 1050 for a spin next week... just to see what my options are.

• Member Contributer

The KLR - gone but not forgotten!

August16th2011001.jpg

Gone but not forgotten...but time to move on.

The long ride home from Nelson was the final straw - I need more oomph than the KLR can offer.

My route home from Nelson?

I left Nelson just before 7 am:

Nelson to Kaslo, 31A to New Denver, over to Nakusp to Needles Ferry & Hgy 6 (Monashee Rd) to Lumby, bypass downtown Vernon (follow the 97 west signs) to the top of Westside Rd - to Kelowna, then Coquihalla to Merritt and take 5A to Princeton – then the Hope/Princeton home. The only true slab is the Coquihalla from West Kelowna to the 5A turnoff, and the Hope to Vancouver parking lot known as Highway1.

From the Grand Hotel in Nelson to my place in Kits, 914 km’s and about 11 hours, with a lunch stop at Timmies nr Vernon.

Over 900 km's of slab in one day is just too much on the KLR, and if I am only going to have one bike.....

The search for my next bike is on!

• Forum CEO

The KLR - gone but not forgotten!

August16th2011001.jpg

Gone but not forgotten...but time to move on.

The long ride home from Nelson was the final straw - I need more oomph than the KLR can offer.

My route home from Nelson?

I left Nelson just before 7 am:

Nelson to Kaslo, 31A to New Denver, over to Nakusp to Needles Ferry & Hgy 6 (Monashee Rd) to Lumby, bypass downtown Vernon (follow the 97 west signs) to the top of Westside Rd - to Kelowna, then Coquihalla to Merritt and take 5A to Princeton – then the Hope/Princeton home. The only true slab is the Coquihalla from West Kelowna to the 5A turnoff, and the Hope to Vancouver parking lot known as Highway1.

From the Grand Hotel in Nelson to my place in Kits, 914 km’s and about 11 hours, with a lunch stop at Timmies nr Vernon.

Over 900 km's of slab in one day is just too much on the KLR, and if I am only going to have one bike.....

The search for my next bike is on!

I am with you on that, my xr650r saw probably maybe 12 miles last summer, I just did not ride it! I did not ride the vfr that much either at home, just two cross country trips on vacation that was pretty much it, maybe 3 day rides? I rode the piggy (xr) a couple years back on a birthday trip to Silverton and back some 400 miles in 3 days all backroads and trails and just about permanantly made my butt unsittable! I had pains for a few weeks after that trip AND I really modified the seat for comfort? I suppose breaking my pelvis 2 years before that did not help matters. So it sat all summer, just kick started and around the hood a few times, the kick start thing is a hassle too. I have agonized over selling it for a scooter or an upgrade dual sport with electric start - I would like a bmw 650gs light but still dirtable. I think that would probably sit too. A scooter on the other hand I would commute on and weekend around town alot with! Looking at a big wheel honda scooter or even the cbr250

• 1 month later...

I was gonna try a loop through Glacier, Kalispel, MT. Then north west to Creston, BC. and back to Saskatchewan.

BUT, this has got me rethinking my route. Things that make you go....Hmmmmm???

• Forum CEO

I was gonna try a loop through Glacier, Kalispel, MT. Then north west to Creston, BC. and back to Saskatchewan.

BUT, this has got me rethinking my route. Things that make you go....Hmmmmm???

Saskatoon? Shoot Radar is from there hes commin! Hes helping Didit with the organizing too. Maybe you can hook up on the way down, or back?

• Member Contributer

Hey didit

Time to start another list (forum topic) of who is coming

Who has booked rooms (and if they have room)

WHo has order shirts etc :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

The registration page is complete, using Eventbrite once again (thanks to Baileyrock for that tip back in '09).

Registration opens Monday, Feb. 06, so don't get pissy if you can't buy today.

http://www.sumsumx2.eventbrite.com/

Having a little issue getting it to stick on the first post, so any MOD's who would like to help on that one.

Your watchful eyes are much appreciated, so if there is anything missing or needs changing, please PM me.

• Member Contributer

The registration page is complete, using Eventbrite once again (thanks to Baileyrock for that tip back in '09).

Registration opens Monday, Feb. 06, so don't get pissy if you can't buy today.

I have my finger hovering above the enter key, just waiting to buy!

Mark

• Member Contributer

Well my wonderful wife surprised the hell out of me and gave me the kitchen pass to go even though we have a newborn expected in April. Unfortunately I will still miss this year's events due to the days that were picked for the ride.

Just out of curiosity why only weekdays this time around? If part of the event included the weekend I probably could have made it for part of it (I am not upset...just curious). :smile:

For what ever reason I expect everyone to have a great time (almost a gauruntee) and take tons of pics and footage. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Just out of curiosity why only weekdays this time around? If part of the event included the weekend I probably could have made it for part of it (I am not upset...just curious). :smile:

Went with weekdays to allow people to use the weekends on either end for travel to / from, minimizing the amount of 'work time off'.

Congrats on the pending family addition and know, YOU will be missed (unless something happens & your wife gets sick of your moping and says GO :)

Pics & videos a plenty will be available - part of this years' event ideas: a method for members to post / download while at the meet to a VFRD public shared folder. I've got this solved!

• Member Contributer

Just completed my registration for SumSumX2. Can't wait. Mark, meet in Ratton again?

Gary,

Sounds like a plan (without the "hail storm" this time).

Mark

• Forum CEO

part of this years' event ideas: a method for members to post / download while at the meet to a VFRD public shared folder. I've got this solved!

Tony - there is no need for a public shared folder offsite - the new gallery software I upgraded too last summer here on vfrd has that capability, its already set up I just added a public general album for both the sumsum and the texasmac anybody can upload photos to. Then they can be added to posts using the my media button like I did below (for that users uploaded photos)

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/album/6299-summer-summit/

Summer Summit 09 019

And just to throw some more Chevron Supreme (with Techron ®) on to the fire:

IMG_3634.jpg

And ze' Fly-By ... courtesy of Tony "why yes I Didit ...why?"

(CLICK ON FOLLOWING GRAPHIC FOR VIDEO)

th_MVI_3548.jpg

th_MVI_3549.jpg

th_MVI_3550.jpg

th_MVI_3551.jpg

See you there y'all .... ! Cheers, E-Ticket

IMG_3616.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have to wait a few weeks before I can commit and book the room. If all goes as I hope ( fingers crossed) then I can add my name to the growing list.

Well, it took .00476 seconds for my wife Susan Post (aka, "The Flying Ant") to shoot her thumb in the air approving the road trip. She is, as in the words of the Ricky Carmichel, The GOAT, "super-pumped" as she had to miss the original '09 Summer Summit due to a broken arm from dirt biking. And it just about killed to watch me pulling out of the driveway for a 3-week hoo-hah.

So we be in, eh! :bliss:

We're booked at the Best Western host hotel with the VFRD discount rate. (THANK YOU, TONY!!!) :fing02:

TIP: If you have a Best Western Rewards card, let the reservations person know that *right* off the bat ... as they have to use a different screen to make your reservation so that you get your rewards points.

Now, on to the very importance business of making the "get there" "have fun" "get back" loop as large as possible. :tour:

First pass:

http://maps.google.c...1,22,23&t=m&z=5

Yah, that ought to do it. Cheers! E-Ticket

Archived