Clear Clutch Window

Veefer800Canuck

• Member Contributer

I had the cover and one of the rings powdercoated a sort of semi gloss black. I've left the other ring original and may change it out sometime for a different look.

Gives the bike a cool look. One thing I can confirm is the fogging of the glass by the oil until it gets hot, at least right now with temps here around 5-10 degrees C (41-50 F).

• 1 year later...

Must add to this thread since Dutchy linked it elswehere.

The windows Seb uses are made from Lexan.

Mine has not discolored at all in the time I've had it on the bike, 3 years now.

Yes, it clouds over when the bike is warming up, but that goes away fairly shortly, once the bike is up to temp.

And, with the O-ring seal on the machined cover ring, it has not leaked nor sweated any oil, ever.

Keep in mind that mine was one of the original prototypes, and I can only assume that Seb has gotten the process refined somewhat, with all the practice he's gotten making these things.

Hey Seb, how many are out in the wild, do you think????

• Member Contributer

+1

firing up after the winter stop (in a freezing shed), the window "yucked up" pretty bad. Like I had poured some Bailey Original Irish Cream in...

That took some 10 minutes riding (to heat the engine up properly) to clear it.

Now with warmer temperatures is will only give a small smudge that disappear very quickly.

Not 100% convinded on the blue anodized M3's..... they should be a tad darker blue... so I may revert to the ones Seb supplied.

100% happy camper, afaik still the only one in NL to have it :-)

Must add to this thread since Dutchy linked it elswehere.

The windows Seb uses are made from Lexan.

Mine has not discolored at all in the time I've had it on the bike, 3 years now.

Yes, it clouds over when the bike is warming up, but that goes away fairly shortly, once the bike is up to temp.

And, with the O-ring seal on the machined cover ring, it has not leaked nor sweated any oil, ever.

Keep in mind that mine was one of the original prototypes, and I can only assume that Seb has gotten the process refined somewhat, with all the practice he's gotten making these things.

Hey Seb, how many are out in the wild, do you think????

Thank you for the testimonial. I have done about 30 of these covers to date, at least 20 of them are on VFR's around the globe. :cool:

Seb?! Still doing your magic when it comes to the clutch covers? I've got one that's doing nothing at the moment!

I am, but not much longer.

I have just a handful left from the last batch, and I will keep a few on hand in case of the most unfortunate incident where someone may need spare parts.

I will be visiting the machinists later this month and will pester them about another run that may, or may not, come to fruition this year.

• Member Contributer

What oil do you use because my oil never does that ?

And how do you install your oil, I take mine and open it for one hour. That lets it breath .

:goofy:

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

I decanter my engine oil prior to feeding it to redslut.... :-)

• Member Contributer

One must treat oil with respect.

Even after use, it must be carefully washed and then let to air, like any fine wine.

oil-water-518202.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Hey Seb, I found a spare clutch cover in my parts mess, and Why-Too-Kay is getting jealous of Virginia's exposed parts. I'd like to get a second SSCCC if one is available.

• Member Contributer

I just got mine going a little over a month ago. It is summer but I've noticed no clouding, it's clear from start up.

Terry, let me double check my stock and get back you. I feel obligated to keep some on hand in case of emergency, don't want to make promises I can't keep.

My cover only fogs up on startup & cool down when it's cooler out. And only briefly, since it's garage kept 90% of the time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

post-8974-0-73878900-1407255188.jpgMy 4th Gen loves her clear clutch cover....

post-8974-0-73878900-1407255188.jpg

(Seb used silver M3 bolts; the blue ones I retro-fitted)

• Member Contributer

Seb - I'd really like one too if you do another batch... one of these would be a perfect touch on my 2002!

96zvie.jpg

While this one is NOT one made by Seb (saw it on a sea front promenade), it does show how it would look "in white"

(just rattle can the plate..)

post-8974-0-98935800-1406566194.jpg

Guest Willytheekid

Hi Seb

Very keen on getting one of your clutch covers made up for my infidel :biggrin:

I have just bought a spare engine for my old 96 (she's done 130.000k, and still stock, hence I bought a spare for the old girl)

I can send you the standard clutch cover off said engine to be modified etc, but just curious as to what would the approx cost be if you are still making these? (God I hope so...best mod Ive sen yet!)

If you are still producing these wonders Seb, would you please consider adding me to your already long list :fing02:

ps...from New Zealand (And more than happy to wait paitently and pre-pay etc :smile:

Long time member/reader...just a shy poster :blush2:

Many thanks for your time Seb