Clutch And Grab

Veefer800Canuck

After 12 years and 76,000 kilometers, I decided it was time to have a look at my clutch which has never seen the light of day since it left the Honda factory.

The clutch seemed to be working OK, it engaged and disengaged fine, didn't make any funny noises, and did not slip, near as I could tell.

However, I found a set of Ferodo clutch friction plates, and a set of EBC clutch springs on Ebay for cheap, so I looked at it as a preventative sort of thing.

The '98-'99 clutches are slightly different than the '00-'01s, so refer to the FSM for any changes.

gallery_554_564_238824.jpg

photo

gallery_554_564_124595.jpg

spring Is In The Air

The manual says to drain the engine oil, but my oil is fresh, and I wanted to save a step, so I left the bike on the sidestand, and put a jack under the headers and raised the bike up about an inch to get more lean to the left. Worked great, only lost a couple teaspoons of oil.

gallery_554_564_1146893.jpg

IMG 0232

Once I unearthed the clutch cover from the bodywork, it was a simple matter to clean all around the cover so that no FOD would migrate into the engine, then spin off all the retaining bolts:

gallery_554_564_1510018.jpg

After that, carefully pry the cover off, paying attention to the crankshaft pulse generator wires routing through the cases. I found a handy tab on the top of the cover, and a 3/8" ratchet fits right behind it, so that levering the ratchet upwards against the upper cylinder block easily dislodges the cover:

gallery_554_564_1176352.jpg

IMG 0221

You will either need to disconnect the pulse generator from the wiring harness, or like I did, unbolt it from the inside of cover and leave it attached to the bike.

That leaves you staring at the clutch in all it's naked glory:

gallery_554_564_1652331.jpg

IMG 0222

The starter drive intermediate gear decided to stay with the cover, so I had to remove the gear and it's shaft and replace them between the starter primary gear and the starter clutch.

gallery_554_564_786429.jpg

IMG 0223

Before replacing the errant gear, I spun the starter clutch fore and aft by hand and it's quiet and solid with no play, so it seems healthy.

Undo the 5 clutch spring bolts and lay out the parts in the order they were removed for easy reference.

I swathed the important bits in paper towels and gently scraped the gasket remains off the block. Thankfully it came off real easy.

gallery_554_564_1304111.jpg

IMG 0225

Here you see the old and new clutch plates compared. I had soaked the new clutch plates in motor oil for an hour prior to installation.

gallery_554_564_1666951.jpg

IMG 0229

I gently cleaned up all my metal plates using a nylon wheel brush chucked up in a drill. Worked great for freshening up the surface, and is not aggressive on the plates like an abrasive wheel would be.

Abrasive-Nylon-Wheel-Brush-48155-.jpg

I found that my clutch basket had some characteristic notching due to normal wear.

gallery_554_564_523897.jpg

IMG 0224

I used a small fine file and wrapped the clutch basket in paper towels so as to not get any contaminants in the oil pan, and carefully filed the basket tangs until most of the notching was gone. Didn't want to remove too much material:

gallery_554_564_677331.jpg

IMG 0226

Much better. Very tedious and time consuming. If one had the proper tools to remove the basket from the bike, it would be far easier to do on the bench.

A trigger spray bottle with some varsol and more paper towels made cleaning up the clutch basket afterwards a breeze.

After removing all the friction and drive plates, there are two washers at the back of the clutch pack. One is a thrust washer and the other is a spring washer. Take note of their positions and replace as found after removal, cleaning and inspection.

gallery_554_564_433352.jpg

IMG 0227

All the metal plates for the clutch are stampings, so they have a rounded side and a sharp side, which is readily identifiable by feel and sight. Note the way the plates were oriented and replace them in the same manner.

First to go in is the "odd man out". There is one plate, seen below, that has a larger ID to make room for the thrust washer and the spring washer.

gallery_554_564_5004.jpg

!C!yrnH!Bmk~$(KGrHqR,!ioE0GqDSD8rBNEjKF6jO!~~0 12

This one loads in first, followed by a steel plate:

gallery_554_564_1179614.jpg

IMG 0228

Continue to load frictions and steels into the clutch basket, keeping the steels all facing the same way.

gallery_554_564_781447.jpg

IMG 0230

gallery_554_564_6538.jpg

And this is where I stopped for the night. Will finish tomorrow and update with more pics.

gallery_554_564_1146893.jpg

IMG 0232

• Like 3

Today, as promised, we continue installing the new clutch.

Once you are done installing all the plates, you should always clean and paint your pressure plate before installation, just to protect it against possible corrosion, and well, it just looks prettier doesn't it?

gallery_554_564_150573.jpg

IMG 0233

• Like 1

I'd be interested in the details of that coating on the new Ferodo plates, can't say I've seen that before. Nicely done how-to!

They are apparently Ferodo's "racing" compound, and contain no cork or rubber. P/N FCD 0133/1 for a 1998/1999 VFR800

****Ferodo FCD Friction Plate Sets -

The perfect replacement for Original Equipment clutch plates. Due to the "paper friction" material used, these plate sets have unique characteristics and outstanding performance, even under difficult conditions. The material contains no cork or rubber, which means that these plates do not suffer from slickness or slip, and have predictable performance. Kits with racing friction material have a /1 suffix at the end of the manufacturer's part number, while the standard material plate kits have no suffix.

Subtle....... nice stuff boys!

Seb - I shoulda looked closer at your VFR at TMAC - have you also done this to your bike?

Love how Rob tried to slide that clear clutch cover dealio through. Kinda like killing a mosquito with an anvil...... :)

Seb - I shoulda looked closer at your VFR at TMAC - have you also done this to your bike?

Haven't put one on my VTEC yet.

Ha, that clutch cover (SEBSPEED?) looks great. I hope the paint on the pressure plate will last, nice touch. :fing02:

Yes, I made that. Looked like this before Rob painted it:

6-17-11006.jpg

Love how Rob tried to slide that clear clutch cover dealio through. Kinda like killing a mosquito with an anvil...... :)

:biggrin:

That was the "grab" part of "clutch and grab".

Because it grabbed your attention, didn't it? :491:

• 2 months later...

Do you get dizzy watching that thing spin??

Nice work, both of you!!

Wondering if you could slide the ebay seller's details over for the springs and plates?? Hope he has the VTEC equivalents.

Is VARSOL like Kerosene??

Thanks!

Wondering if you could slide the ebay seller's details over for the springs and plates?? Hope he has the VTEC equivalents.

I want to say they're the same?

Tricky one that... ron Ayers microfiche don't seem to coincide exactly... the inner disc is supposed to be different to the rest... in the fiche at Ron Ayers site the outer one is also a different reference number and although they mention the same ref for both bikes, they're not for the same position in the order of installation... so I'm stumped.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

What's the consensus on average clutch life? Im in excess of 74,000 miles and never removed the cover...

(I was wondering this back at about 50,000 but never got around to doing anything)

My stock clutch was working fine with 70,000km on it, the basket was notched a bit, but I didn't notice anything funky about the way the clutch engaged.

I replaced it as a PM thing, as I plan on riding far and fast in the future, plus the cover thing of course, and I only wanted to break 'er open 1x to do the whole works.

Nice write up!

I dont know if I will do this, but I have made my mind up and my 5th gen will go thro a rebuild during the coming 15-16 months.