5th gen "coil on plug" setup.

Ranger77

• Forum CEO

I was at the local dealer yesterday and there was a custom chopper with a Honda xr400 motor in it, maybe an xl600 motor, it was a dirtbike motor in any case. The guy had a coil on plug sticking off the spark plug about 8 inches, it looked stupid as hell but works!

• Forum CEO

I read most of this thread once but remind me again why you want these? Not criticizing, genuinely curious.

Hotter spark! Coils with wires that lead to the spark plug lose voltage for each inch of high voltage wire, so voltage loss = power loss. Coil on plug effectively puts the voltage step up as close to the spark plug as possible with minimal voltage loss.

We have kind of strayed from the OP's direction in this thread, which was the COP mod on a 5th gen. Talk about 4th gen bikes isn't a big problem, but in all of this wandering discussion about earlier bikes, I wonder if RangerScott69 could let us know how his 5th gen is running after all this time? And how many miles he has on his modified bike.

I would have thought with electrical items, if the resistance is too low, current is too high, that failure would be rapid. Doesn't seem to be anyone stepping up to say that they did the COP mod on a 5th gen and their ECU burned up in 15 mins.

On the contrary, both RangerScott and Mohawk are reporting zero difficulties.

We have kind of strayed from the OP's direction in this thread, which was the COP mod on a 5th gen. Talk about 4th gen bikes isn't a big problem, but in all of this wandering discussion about earlier bikes, I wonder if RangerScott69 could let us know how his 5th gen is running after all this time? And how many miles he has on his modified bike.

I would have thought with electrical items, if the resistance is too low, current is too high, that failure would be rapid. Doesn't seem to be anyone stepping up to say that they did the COP mod on a 5th gen and their ECU burned up in 15 mins.

In that case Mr.Mod, would you mind pulling the relevant 4th gen info into a new "4th gen Coil-On-Plug mod" thread for us? Pretty Please?

• Member Contributer

I think you guys are reading too much into this. Coils are really simple, they don't draw hardly any ampage, just look at the length & diameter of the cables from the ECU which only acts as a trigger unit to collapse the Low tension field to generate the HT field. Coils DON'T use much juice. The resistance of a coil is directly related to the amount of power it requires, the newer ECU's are even smaller than the old tech VFR one & they use the same grade wiring for their CoP units. In theory a 3ohm resistance should draw 4amp & 1.5ohm 8amp, but when i tested the original coil it only used 2amps. I'll test one of each on Monday evening to see what they register.

Edited by Mohawk

• Member Contributer

I think you guys are reading too much into this. Coils are really simple, they don't draw hardly any ampage, just look at the length & diameter of the cables from the ECU which only acts as a trigger unit to collapse the Low tension field to generate the HT field. Coils DON'T use much juice. The resistance of a coil is directly related to the amount of power it requires, the newer ECU's are even smaller than the old tech VFR one & they use the same grade wiring for their CoP units. In theory a 3ohm resistance should draw 4amp & 1.5ohm 8amp, but when i tested the original coil it only used 2amps. I'll test one of each on Monday evening to see what they register.

The maths looks sound to me....am gonna give it a go..

What plugs do you use?

• Member Contributer

I use NGK iridium plugs on all my bikes, never change them, I've never had a set wear out :) Just clean & check them when I do valve adjsutments.

• Member Contributer

Cool,

yes i did, thanks m8.. Hope to test fit cops myself soon.

Shame i dont get to do the mileage as i used to, living on an even smaller island now.

Originally Bristol based myself, left over 10 years ago...

Started as a dispatch rider in the city thru the 90's- good days and cheap fuel

• Member Contributer

So would you suggest all modern gsxr coils are the same?

600/750/1000/1300?

As for some silly reason the Honda versions are twice the price on the second hand market...

edit: just found a pattern coil maker that lists all the gsx as the same model ref for replacement.

model ML503, same for all 600-1300 gsx 01-07(no idea if up to date)

cross ref.

SUZUKI

33410-35F10

33410-35F00

DENSO

129700-4150

129700-4510

129700-4180

129700-4580

ATPA

ML503

They use the same cross ref for Kawasaki ones also ML503.

The Honda ones all have model no. ML504. Maybe that is to do with the difference of length?

In that case Mr.Mod, would you mind pulling the relevant 4th gen info into a new "4th gen Coil-On-Plug mod" thread for us? Pretty Please?

Done.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/70686-4th-gen-coil-on-plug-mod-split-thread/

• Member Contributer

So would you suggest all modern gsxr coils are the same?

I think the GSXR 600/750 & poss 1000's are all the same, as the engines are practically the same. I used CBR ones, beacuse they were available cheap at the time I was looking. GSXR ones would probably be better as they are a little shorter. I had to add a couple of O-rings to my CBR ones to centralise them in the hole & seal it against water/dirt entry !

Strange I was a Bristol Flyer courier in 87/88 then had an acciden that put me out :( Best job I ever had, people think I'm nuts but nothing I've done since was that enjoyable !

Edited by Mohawk

• Member Contributer

Well I remembered to test the coils resistance last night, the CBR1000 (2007 model) CoP units register 1.5ohm, the original VFR coils show 3ohm.

A previous HOT resistance check on the CBR CoP showed 2.5ohm, so I'm happy. I'll try to do an AMP test tomorrow, won't have time today.