5th gen "coil on plug" setup.

Ranger77

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, shaynus said:

Sigh...  that's one problem with living so far away from anywhere  - the cheapest set I found (4 plugs + harness) was at least $100 more than that. And that is from the UK. One 'local' (other side of the country) ebay seller is asking for $220 for the same thing!

I got the whole lot from the US for under AU$75 posted Shaynus. 

A bit of patience will pay off mate. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, VFROZ said:

A bit of patience will pay off mate. 

But when I get an idea in my head I want to do something about it NOW!

... and then have the parts sit in my shed for 6-12 months until I get a chance to do anything and then another 6-12 months until I finish it!

;-)

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, shaynus said:

But when I get an idea in my head I want to do something about it NOW!

... and then have the parts sit in my shed for 6-12 months until I get a chance to do anything and then another 6-12 months until I finish it!

;-)

Wow!

It's like looking in a mirror... that sounds just like me :blush:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Got it fully finalized today. I bought some better soldering gear and heat gun for heat shrink tubing so I could permanently join the CBR plugs to the VFR harness. 

#3 wire was a tad short making it tighter than I wanted, so I added some length. I have most of a ZX636 wiring harness and found one wire to match. The other will have to be brown...

IMG_3339.JPG

IMG_3340.JPG

IMG_3341.JPG

IMG_3342.JPG

IMG_3343.JPG

I found some fancy high temp resistant tape used by auto manufacturers for under hood wiring.(Tesa 51036, btw) Figured it was worth a shot. More like a cloth than traditional stretch electrical tape. I still suck at wrapping, though...

IMG_3344.JPG

I didn't trust my jenky soldering to not eventually poke through the heat shrink, so I gave each one a wrap of tape.

IMG_3345.JPG

IMG_3346.JPG

IMG_3347.JPG

IMG_3348.JPG

IMG_3349.JPG

Starts on the button, as they say. Actually better than it had been recently. It was taking 2 pushes when cold, now it fires right up with the first push! I'll probably change the plugs at some point soon-ish. I don't remember how long they've been in there.

• Member Contributer

Good job, Kev. Looks very neat. 

On 4/11/2018 at 8:08 PM, Rush2112 said:

Wow!

It's like looking in a mirror... that sounds just like me :blush:

Yup, me too! 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Stray said:

Good job, Kev. Looks very neat. 

Thanks! I've actually been practicing my soldering this evening and I could do it so much better then I did the other day.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I posted this in my refurb thread already, so if you've seen it before apologies. I completed my COP swap recently and this thread was an excellent guide. I chose to use the boot/seal over the top style COP's common to GSXR's and, like others, found the length/plug engagement/and seal to work seamlessly on the VFR. One tip - I pulled the rubber seal and installed it first, then inserted the coil second. This ended up meaning the seals sat a bit lower on the coil, just below the notched area they sat in originally. The fit around the coil is a little tighter because of this, and the seal over the plug tunnel is very positive as well. We will see if they move around, I haven't had the bike back on the road yet. Here is a pic of the part #, thanks everyone for sharing the info:

20180603_183931_001.jpg?dl=0

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, yogisays09 said:

Denso part number means like this ? 129700-5370

I searched some time ago and got the same pn. 129700-5370

• Member Contributer
On 6/25/2018 at 7:01 AM, Vee-Ef-Ar said:

I searched some time ago and got the same pn. 129700-5370

That's the one--thanks, both.

I saw an eBay ad for one recently (but not the pn. view) and it definitely looked like a Denso CoP.  The Denso part numbers all begin with 127900, but 5370 is not one I've seen before (or measured).  It looks like a CBR1000RR CoP, which is pn. 5150 (which is the same length as a 4400), but the grommet appears to be significantly wider--which would help "internal" sealing in larger valve cover openings.  Here is a picture of a 5150:

image.png.bae62a19eb00b99ce81e0f7e18e2d176.png 

And here is the 5370:

1489213346_Denso129700-5370(VFR1200X).thumb.jpg.f03000caf57740bdde0e568485842b43.jpg

Now, if they only sold the grommets separately...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, JZH said:

Now, if they only sold the grommets separately...

Surely someone with a 7thGen has or will change their plugs sooner or later... and have a decent set of vernier calipers.

adkfinn - The 129700-4800 sounds promising, let us know

I'm in the VFROZ camp, where prices are somewhat surprising, including the not-so "plug and play" options.