GoPro

Monk

• Member Contributer
Looks good..... Were you using the open back of your GoPro ? I could hear some wind noise, I've been using the closed back.

I was using the Open back. It says to use it for under 100mph riding and I was usually around 80-120km/h.

The open back is good for low speed riding where it picks up the sound of the bike nicely...maybe next time I'll use the closed door?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also need to fix the shaky video. Yours do not have that.

Don't worry about using r3 if you are using r5..... I can't use r5 because I haven't been able to use/edit r5 with "Windows Movie Maker" ....... What are you using to edit?

As for the shakes, I've been keeping my mounts short, I tried a semi longer one on the tank, but strapped the upper portion to my tankbag to absorb the shakes.

I'm also using Win Movie Maker on a Dell XPS with a P4 processor. An old gaming desktop that still does the job.

It takes a while to "prep" the video, but once loaded, I can do editing fine.

Mmm... shorter mount... will try that but that will be hard for the low side angles.

I tried the suction cup on the side fairing and the thing bounced a lot and it looked like it would detach anytime. :blush:

Looks good..... Were you using the open back of your GoPro ? I could hear some wind noise, I've been using the closed back.

Mmmm... I'll try the closed back too. Mine was using the one with the top and bottom openings.

I just came back from a 2 day ride to VA, WV, PA, and back to MD.

I ran out of battery while riding a very twisty section of Skyline dr. :pissed:

Oh well. I'm in the editing room and will post a video soon.

I've got to get me a sargent seat.

Looks like I better bookmark this thread. I just got a GoPro HD yesterday.

I've used one of the standard GoPro's once before, but didn't mess with editing the footage enough to really know what I was doing. I just cut a few pictures out of it and cut one lap out of a session during a track day. Hopefully I can figure this thing out and make some good videos.

Looks like I better bookmark this thread. I just got a GoPro HD yesterday.

I've used one of the standard GoPro's once before, but didn't mess with editing the footage enough to really know what I was doing. I just cut a few pictures out of it and cut one lap out of a session during a track day. Hopefully I can figure this thing out and make some good videos.

Sent you a PM.

This one without the rice crispies sound effect. :)

I watched you video.... and everything looks good and stable to me.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI........... Don't do the auto delete from the camera until you have finished and stored the edited version......I did a 300 mile ride near the Smokies Sat and lost all the video........ :angry:

FYI........... Don't do the auto delete from the camera until you have finished and stored the edited version......I did a 300 mile ride near the Smokies Sat and lost all the video........ :angry:

:blink:

Oh well. an excuse to ride another 300 miles. :cool:

The quality is down due to me trying to record a long vid and editing it, then trying to break it into parts that will be in the size excepted. Well it took a few different edit's to get to this point which degraded the quality..... I now know to do one section at a time and not to edit more than once.

So anyway, I took a ride up to the BRPW area to a entry point of called Tuggels Gap (which is also a popular local MC Cafe' / motel ). I then U turned And went back down.

I'll Have to go up there again and record everything in the correct MB's to show the whole ride next time. But quality aside It's a nice road........

Looks like a fun ride Monk, what did you do to clean up the sound? Or is that just because of where you mounted it? I still get a high pitched wine in mine.

You're right..the sound change is just from "where" it's mounted.

There's a road close by there that has a lot of turns (rt.40)that I need to go back and record. There's a lot of roads near the BRPW that are like the T-Mac area to play on.

I found another source for our Rice Krispy's noise.......... I took the back door off that covers the battery and shook the thing in my hand and could still hear a clicking sound, found out it's the power button, at this time I don't know how to stop it.

So far I bought the GoPro and have made a few ride vid's. Went from the suction cup to a sticky(to much bouncing with the suc-cup). Also I'm picking up some noise which I traced to where the windsreen connects to the front fairing, so now I'm in the process of making the screen quiet.

I've recorded in default 4 vid, will try 5 vid next. I've been able to transfer it from the GP to my Windows 7 computer, and there wasn't any problems doing the tranfer. That's as far as I've gotten so far. The next step, I guess is to edit the film. So what is the next step? should I use Windows Moviemaker or try another FREE service(I'd like to use my 5 setting for Hi-def? I've been looking though the web and Adobe came up as a source.

Here's some links I've been looking though.

http://lostindetail.dyinglight.de/?p=112

http://gopro.com/support/

http://download.cnet.com/Pazera-Free-MP4-to-AVI-Converter/3000-2194_4-10784027.html?tag=mncol%3B1

http://goprouser.freeforums.org/stickie-how-to-convert-to-avi-for-easy-editing-t212.html

I'd like to have a step by step what to do from camera to posting a hi-def vid. But if no one can give me the steps in order, than I'll work on one step at a time and ask for the next step as I go. Any help would be appreciated.

Step #1...... What service to edit?

Monk,

I mounted my son's GoPro to my SportBikeCam mount and the video was dead still. This is a mount that attaches to the gas cap bolts and is super rigid. I shot through the windscreen, obviously. You will need to buy some hardware if you go this route, but it is worth it. No vibes whatsoever. I enjoyed your video.

IG

Monk,

I mounted my son's GoPro to my SportBikeCam mount and the video was dead still. This is a mount that attaches to the gas cap bolts and is super rigid. I shot through the windscreen, obviously. You will need to buy some hardware if you go this route, but it is worth it. No vibes whatsoever. I enjoyed your video.

IG

Thx for the info, and coo-doos.....

"http://www.youtube.c...bed/F0BMHi_ypoI"

Here's a video that I'm pretty happy with. I've gotten rid of most of the unwanted noise from the setup end, and the camera is stable. And worked on my splicing to cut down the running time of the vid'.

Not to mention I'm really liking my bikes new suspension in these curves.

• Member Contributer

Tried an experimental ride using the GoProHD on my way to work this morning. Learned a couple things:

1. Mounting the camera on one of my Givi E360 sidebags provides WAY too much video of my fat arse and not enough of the road...

2. Another happy bi-product of mounting on sidebags: lots and lots of rattle noise.

On the ride home I'm going to mount it up to the sticky that I put on the front cowl, just below the windscreen. Hopefully that will clean things up a bit. Got to shop for the suction cup mount to get it mounted on the tank and maybe shop for a bunch more 3m mounting brackets.

Also noticed that shooting at 720p, 20 minutes of video uses about 1.12 gigs of space. So, I'm going to get about 2 hours out of an 8 gig card on continuous record.

• Member Contributer

Well, I mounted the GPHD on the front like I said and the picture was a jumbled mess for the most part - the full rig seems to bounce WAY too much. Sound was better, but with the jumbling around, it still wasn't what I would consider "good."

I think using the extender (the thing with three elbows) is a bad idea for a front mount. Going to try it again when I head over to 'back to school' night for my son, but this time with just the one elbow mount and see what happens.

Can some of you seasoned GoPro veterans please post up some pics of your GoPro mounted on your bike?

Can some of you seasoned GoPro veterans please post up some pics of your GoPro mounted on your bike?

Take a peek at post 40 page 2 of this thread And you will find a one joint mounted on the front.

Post 94 on page 4 is a link for a video I used with this mounting set up.

• Member Contributer

Make sure your using that little U shaped rubber thing to lock the quick release mount tight. That will stop the rattle noise.

Your 8 gig card should work out fine, you'll run out of battery life before card fills up.

• Member Contributer

Shortened up the stack and the front mount was perfect. No rattle, clear picture. Going to check out your mounts now, Monk. (that didn't sound right, now did it??) :goofy:

That's about where I put mine - just below the windscreen instead of on it though. video looks about the same. Interesting, there's a dark edge to my videos... and not in that cool director's cut kind of way either.

Shortened up the stack and the front mount was perfect. No rattle, clear picture. Going to check out your mounts now, Monk. (that didn't sound right, now did it??) :goofy:

That's about where I put mine - just below the windscreen instead of on it though. video looks about the same. Interesting, there's a dark edge to my videos... and not in that cool director's cut kind of way either.

Correction..... I'm using two joints and the sticky base is sideways..........

Archived