GoPro

Monk

Nice job Monk.

Nice roads. I'll be doing a 2 day bike trip to WV later this month.

Working on the route now... maybe I come near your neck of the woods.

I take that back. I just looked you up on the map.

I'm heading to Davis, WV and then going north.

That's why we don't have any traffic.. We're not close to ANYTHING :laughing6-hehe:

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NorthernVFRDave.......... I was wondering what that little rubber thing'y was for. I have some new video I haven't looked/listened to yet. Hoping the fairing will give it some depth(sound).

• Member Contributer

NorthernVFRDave.......... I was wondering what that little rubber thing'y was for. I have some new video I haven't looked/listened to yet. Hoping the fairing will give it some depth(sound).

Just checked out your video Monk, looks a lot better than my first try did... :laughing6-hehe:

Did you use the suction cup to your windscreen? Because I can hear the rattle that rubber thing'y will stop, but its only for the stick on mounts not the suction cup that's why I asked how you set it up.

Looks like your on the r4 setting, I would switch to the r3 setting if your not going to use the full HD mode of r5, its a wider 170° view over the 120° with r4 doesn't change the quality of the video a whole lot but you see a lot more around you.

I've been playing around with the r5 (highest setting) and with a 16gig card the battery still dies before the card fills ups, so I'm thinking I'm going to stick with that and see how editing goes. Had it on my sailboard on the weekend, not much to see as there wasn't a whole lot of wind, but just wanted to try out different mount setups and so on. Once we get a windy day should make for some really good video. :biggrin:

there is a "skeleton case" for sale to try an up the volume.

Also, I have seen folks drill a 2 mm hole in the back of the case near the microphone to try an get better sound. (not waterproof any more)

• Member Contributer

Monk,

In terms of paid software, for about $50 you can get Adobe Premier which will let you edit and export just about anything. Not sure what version of windows you are running but have no problems with Windows 7 and the new Windows Media Player

Here is a quick short one I did last night with Adobe Premier for a buddy.

I exported it in several versions. I can even burn to a DVD & play on my PS3 or DVD player.

Love my GoPro's

Best way to mount is with the stick on mounts on a large body surface that does not flex, such as a side faring, tail section, etc. Windscreens flex too much. Also, mounting in front of windscreen can be tough as the camera will vibrate from the wind buffeting. Use the case back for the noise/sound level you want to achieve with either the waterproof case or the skeleton case. Try your different sound setting via the menu options.

Have fun

Here's my new video from today.

While you guys look at this I need to answer some of these new comments/info's.

Just checked out your video Monk, looks a lot better than my first try did... :laughing6-hehe:

Did you use the suction cup to your windscreen? Because I can hear the rattle that rubber thing'y will stop, but its only for the stick on mounts not the suction cup that's why I asked how you set it up.

Looks like your on the r4 setting, I would switch to the r3 setting if your not going to use the full HD mode of r5, its a wider 170° view over the 120° with r4 doesn't change the quality of the video a whole lot but you see a lot more around you.

I've been playing around with the r5 (highest setting) and with a 16gig card the battery still dies before the card fills ups, so I'm thinking I'm going to stick with that and see how editing goes. Had it on my sailboard on the weekend, not much to see as there wasn't a whole lot of wind, but just wanted to try out different mount setups and so on. Once we get a windy day should make for some really good video. :biggrin:

Yeh, I used the suction-cup on that one, the next one I just posted is mounted on the sticky base and all sound mod's were done except for the rubber thingy(just wanted to see if the home brew was working.

Thx, I start using the r3 setting next. "tharkun" said the Adobe thing works well for $50(if that's a one time cost I'll do it), I had looked into that some but wasn't sure about the thing being free or what.

So, how many min do you get out of the batt ? I bought an extra batt but I'm not sure if I'll lose what I'm recording if I changed it mid stream???

Monk,

In terms of paid software, for about $50 you can get Adobe Premier which will let you edit and export just about anything. Not sure what version of windows you are running but have no problems with Windows 7 and the new Windows Media Player

Here is a quick short one I did last night with Adobe Premier for a buddy.

I exported it in several versions. I can even burn to a DVD & play on my PS3 or DVD player.

Love my GoPro's

Best way to mount is with the stick on mounts on a large body surface that does not flex, such as a side faring, tail section, etc. Windscreens flex too much. Also, mounting in front of windscreen can be tough as the camera will vibrate from the wind buffeting. Use the case back for the noise/sound level you want to achieve with either the waterproof case or the skeleton case. Try your different sound setting via the menu options.

Have fun

I was looking at that Adobe.... Is that a one time $50 for their editer ?

That's a nice vid you did, I for sure want to use HD......... I haven't excepted putting those sticky bases on everywhere yet, I'll succumb with time.

I haven't done this yet, but it looks like an "All free" step-by-step how-to on using GP-HD on Movie maker live.

It would be nice if someone better at using PC's than myself could give this a try and let us know how to do it.

Here is the link:

http://mountainbikemayhem.com/helm-cam-video/edit-gopro-hd-videos-free-and-easy

I'm posting this Vid here not for the rider training but for the learning the GoPro's functions.

I was trying to cut long sections out of the vid using the Win-Mov-Maker's edit tools. One is a Trim (which I couldn't get to work). Then tried the Split (Did work). Now I'd like some input on how to soften the gap between the splits(fade in-and-out) ????????

Also would like to know how the Trim works, Or if someone has found a how-to on using the Windows Movie Maker ??????

to fade into a new clip, just "push" the clip to the left. click it, hold it down and to the left with it. you will then see an overlapping blue ramp that indicates how slow or fast the fade is. It will make more sense when you actually do it.

• Member Contributer

I'm impressed with the encoding, I may have to pick up a GoPro soon.

I played with my Sony HD cam on the bike a few years ago. It was all pre-VFR (and pre-decent-GoPro) but should apply.

Up front the summary is: hard mount the camera to a frame component. You'll see a lot of good video taken from down low. I had pretty good success with a frame slider mount. Close to your knee is also surprisingly convenient to reach the camera controls.

Unfortunately that puts the GoPro out into the wind, so you'll have to use an external microphone, tucked into quiet air (and also picking up your exhaust note). Decoupling microphone mount from camera mount gives you much more flexibility.

Looks like GoPro does not support external microphone yet, but if you're brave you can DIY. Unfortunately these might be older models?

I had to do something similar for my Sony - which uses a proprietary external hot shoe interface so I had to hack up an external microphone to make the connection.

I ran stereo microphones to my AutoCom and then used its passenger output to hook into the camera. That way I could mount the mics out of the wind and near the Remus. Plus picked up the bike to bike chatter (had to warn my buddies when recording). Note the AutoCom output had to be attenuated to be compatible with the unpowered microphone input - just a simple voltage divider did the trick.

Added benefit - I enjoyed listening to my engine better than my iPod - I had a microphone volume adjustment so I could mix in as much as I wanted.

Ultimately, I was not satisfied with the Sony - its HD encoder was not designed for fast paced movement of the entire image. It had a funky wave effect, your GoPro looks far superior.

Here's a movie FX guy's mount, no gyro and no shock mount. Forgot what movie it was used in.

He said that shock mounts work until they reach their limits, but then they act like drunken sailors. He asserts that the frame (or rider) are already shock mounted, and have enough mass to dampen vibration.

gallery_20267_5717_47449.jpg

to fade into a new clip, just "push" the clip to the left. click it, hold it down and to the left with it. you will then see an overlapping blue ramp that indicates how slow or fast the fade is. It will make more sense when you actually do it.

Thx for the info... I've been trying to figure out what you're talking about .... worked on it most of last night, but just can't figure it out... I'll keep at it and let you know if/when I get it.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the trim or cut.... I've been working on how to use both.... It seems that you're telling me how to merge the cut sections?

Hey Monk could you post a pic of your gopro mounted?

still using the suction cup or the glue thingies?

I switched to the sticky and mounted it on the windscreen... Pic's to come.........

gallery_16535_4665_1597226.jpg

gallery_16535_4665_1304796.jpg

Guest 93Octane

a few things here,

not sure what type of computer you have or your specs - need more info.

i have the go pro and while i have a beefed up mac book pro because i teach adobe apps, i use the 1080 setting but, i havent burned to a dvd to watch on a big screen.

point in case - no point of shooting 1080 if you are going to upload to youtube and watch on the laptop

also get the chest harness, works much better i think, the pov is different - personal taste

you can get adobe premier pro for free for 30 days, then the basic editing version is pretty cheap.

any problem just pm me

a few things here,

not sure what type of computer you have or your specs - need more info.

i have the go pro and while i have a beefed up mac book pro because i teach adobe apps, i use the 1080 setting but, i havent burned to a dvd to watch on a big screen.

point in case - no point of shooting 1080 if you are going to upload to youtube and watch on the laptop

also get the chest harness, works much better i think, the pov is different - personal taste

you can get adobe premier pro for free for 30 days, then the basic editing version is pretty cheap.

any problem just pm me

I'm PM'ing you now But it'll take a few min to type some questions.....Thx

• Member Contributer
I switched to the sticky and mounted it on the windscreen... Pic's to come.........

It seems like there was a comment in another thread that the GoPro needs to have something in its field of view that is moving in sync with the camera in order for the image stabilization to really work well. In other words, you can't see any of the bike from your windscreen mount, so the GoPro has to work harder to have a frame of reference as to what is "shaking" and what is "not."

If you like where it is, you should stick with it (no pun intended), but if you get to the point where you can't tolerate the jitters anymore, you might try another mount where a fender, fairing, mirror, dash, or some part of the bike is in the picture. Keep up the learnin' - I aim to get one of these camera one of these days too. :fing02:

It seems like there was a comment in another thread that the GoPro needs to have something in its field of view that is moving in sync with the camera in order for the image stabilization to really work well. In other words, you can't see any of the bike from your windscreen mount, so the GoPro has to work harder to have a frame of reference as to what is "shaking" and what is "not."

If you like where it is, you should stick with it (no pun intended), but if you get to the point where you can't tolerate the jitters anymore, you might try another mount where a fender, fairing, mirror, dash, or some part of the bike is in the picture. Keep up the learnin' - I aim to get one of these camera one of these days too. :fing02:

Interesting...Thx

OK....I have the WMM editer figured out now.......Thx, Timmy.

Hopefully you're using the large suc-cup, so you can move it around to find "quite". Then replace SC with a sticky-mount.

Hopefully you're using the large suc-cup, so you can move it around to find "quite". Then replace SC with a sticky-mount.

Are you using that little rubber piece with a ring on one end?

I didn't know what it was until I saw this video.

it's supposed to remove a tapping sound in the videos.

http://pointofviewcameras.com/blog/pov/article/gopro-hd-doohickey/

Archived