GoPro

Monk

So far I bought the GoPro and have made a few ride vid's. Went from the suction cup to a sticky(to much bouncing with the suc-cup). Also I'm picking up some noise which I traced to where the windsreen connects to the front fairing, so now I'm in the process of making the screen quiet.

I've recorded in default 4 vid, will try 5 vid next. I've been able to transfer it from the GP to my Windows 7 computer, and there wasn't any problems doing the tranfer. That's as far as I've gotten so far. The next step, I guess is to edit the film. So what is the next step? should I use Windows Moviemaker or try another FREE service(I'd like to use my 5 setting for Hi-def? I've been looking though the web and Adobe came up as a source.

Here's some links I've been looking though.

http://lostindetail.dyinglight.de/?p=112

http://gopro.com/support/

http://download.cnet.com/Pazera-Free-MP4-to-AVI-Converter/3000-2194_4-10784027.html?tag=mncol%3B1

http://goprouser.freeforums.org/stickie-how-to-convert-to-avi-for-easy-editing-t212.html

I'd like to have a step by step what to do from camera to posting a hi-def vid. But if no one can give me the steps in order, than I'll work on one step at a time and ask for the next step as I go. Any help would be appreciated.

Step #1...... What service to edit?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went out and did a few runs using 5. The results are it works and will let me watch from the GoPro directly to my PC..... But everything runs slow (pic & sound). Each film is just over 8 min(which may be to long to handle?) Should I download and see if it works right (and should I cut the run time to under 8 min. on an editor ? )

i think this is why most folks dont use the top setting on these things.

if it is MP4, then it will not work on MS Moviemaker.

As far as the windscreen as a mounting base.... I find that it works as a sound magnifier, I was able to cut out the noises from the screen being connected to the fairing by putting a couple of pieces hard foam wedged in the air-port under the screen, one each near the sides. But I'll need to hear it with the film running at the correct speed to be sure. I'm thinking as much as I like it mounted there(visually), it's a sound problem(although I like the motor sounds from there, and that's with the sealed back on).

i think this is why most folks dont use the top setting on these things.

if it is MP4, then it will not work on MS Moviemaker.

10-4.THX

I went out and did a few runs using 5. The results are it works and will let me watch from the GoPro directly to my PC..... But everything runs slow (pic & sound). Each film is just over 8 min(which may be to long to handle?) Should I download and see if it works right (and should I cut the run time to under 8 min. on an editor ? )

Yep you need to transfer it to your computer. The connection speed over USB is too slow to run HD stuff. Transfer it to your PC and it should be okay.

Yep you need to transfer it to your computer. The connection speed over USB is too slow to run HD stuff. Transfer it to your PC and it should be okay.

I'll give that a try...THX

I'll give that a try...THX

I down loaded it, but as Timmy said it didn't do any better.

I got this right off the GoPro web-site.... Could use some help following these instructions?

"My PC will not playback the .mp4 video files.

•If using Windows Media Player or Movie Maker, make sure you download the latest HD-capable version and also download a H.264 decoder to update media or movie maker. CoreCodec CoreAVC is one company that offers a codec pack for h.264.

•VLC media player is another video media player program that you can download for free, which supports .mp4 h.264 files: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/"

you probably won't like my solution, but i ended up buying a mac so i could edit the HD files that my old windows xp lap top couldn't even play smoothly. vlc is a good program that i use on my mac so it will play windows media files...

you probably won't like my solution, but i ended up buying a mac so i could edit the HD files that my old windows xp lap top couldn't even play smoothly. vlc is a good program that i use on my mac so it will play windows media files...

I have enough problems using this(new Windows)one, much less changing to a Mac, not to mention the money.THX

• Member Contributer

I found myself a copy of Sony Vegas Pro 10, it handels the high end video no issue, even on a slower older PC. But its a $700 program to buy.

I found myself a copy of Sony Vegas Pro 10, it handels the high end video no issue, even on a slower older PC. But its a $700 program to buy.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio would be a better fit if you are not doing anything fancy. Added bonus it's only ~$40

Here's my 1st attempt at posting a home made video. I'm working on getting rid of the bouncing and weird noises, and I have much better roads than this. One thing nice about this area of the country, is the lack of traffic on most back roads.

• Member Contributer

Very good, John. It appears you have quickly got a handle on the technology. Nice job editing; and adding comments..

What a dream of a road; lots of green, curvy and well maintained; and so few cars! I took a couple two hour rides this 4th of July weekend and never was able to escape the tourists in cages (with no concept of the purpose of slower traffic turnouts). But I digress. You displayed very smooth and consistent riding in your video, too. Kudos.

I'll tell you how to get rid of that rattle:

Put a strip od electrical tape on the base mount before you slide the little doohickie on it. (the sella retrofit little red plastic thingy for this now)

Also put 2 thicknesses of electrical tap right on the battery so it snugs up better when the back of the case is closed.

and viola.....case closed.

Put a strip od electrical tape on the base mount before you slide the little doohickie on it. (the sella retrofit little red plastic thingy for this now)

Also put 2 thicknesses of electrical tap right on the battery so it snugs up better when the back of the case is closed.

and viola.....case closed.

Good stuff...Thx

Very good, John. It appears you have quickly got a handle on the technology. Nice job editing; and adding comments..

What a dream of a road; lots of green, curvy and well maintained; and so few cars! I took a couple two hour rides this 4th of July weekend and never was able to escape the tourists in cages (with no concept of the purpose of slower traffic turnouts). But I digress. You displayed very smooth and consistent riding in your video, too. Kudos.

Thx for the comments........ Now if we could get rid of the double yellows on our roads. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Here's my 1st attempt at posting a home made video. I'm working on getting rid of the bouncing and weird noises, and I have much better roads than this. One thing nice about this area of the country, is the lack of traffic on most back roads.

Nice video Monk, makes me want to go for a ride.... Now.

Cheers, BC

• Member Contributer

Nicely done! It looks like you are coming along real good learning how to use that thing. :fing02:

Now that I added some more anti-noise mod's(electric tape to batt and sticky base) thx to Timmy, I'm heading out to another local road. Working on 10 min films.

Thx for all the comments.

• Member Contributer

In case you don't know what the red thingy Timmy is talking about.. its coming with all the new cameras and accesories for 2011. mine have all been white rubber, haven't seen the red one yet, but acts as a lock once you slide the camera on to mount. they stop the camera from shaking and causing a click noise on all your videos.

P1040087-2.15682607_std.jpg

Mork if you figure out how to cut back the whine of the engine and make is sound more like a bike and less like a 2 stroke blender let me know.

Nice job Monk.

Nice roads. I'll be doing a 2 day bike trip to WV later this month.

Working on the route now... maybe I come near your neck of the woods.

Nice job Monk.

Nice roads. I'll be doing a 2 day bike trip to WV later this month.

Working on the route now... maybe I come near your neck of the woods.

I take that back. I just looked you up on the map.

I'm heading to Davis, WV and then going north.

Archived