5th gen engine in 6th gen

168sierra

Question

I am considering installing a 5th gen (2000) engine into a 6th gen (2003) to take advantage of the power of the 5th gen engine and gear driven cams (love the sound) and the handling of the 6th gen with an RC51 front end.

Has anyone used the 6th gen FI on a 5th gen motor? From what I have read, the throttle bodies bolt on. I was palnning to use the 330 ohm resistors to bypass the O2 sensors and run a catless header. I am thinking of trying to reflash the ECU with a 5 th gen fuel map. This should be close but will probably need some fine tuning.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I can't be the only one who wants this combination.

Pics to follow

• Answers 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Member Contributer

If you can find the right venue for a photo, that bike would be a fabulous candidate for the 2015 calendar . . .

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, 65matt said:

Hi, sorry to dredge up an old thread, but how has this bike been running? 

Ditto on that - We havent heard from HighSideNZ in quite a while... 

• Member Contributer

I have recently "helped" Phil with a clean-out of his shed (bought an 8-spoke and then some nice 6G wheels off him) so I can vouch having seen his bike in the flesh a month or so back, looking tasty and well enjoyed. As far as I know it is going great but I'm sure the great man himself will chime in at some point. 

• Member Contributer

Hi Guys

Yes as Terry said up the page a bit, he has "helped" me clean out the shed a bit by taking some of the off cast gear.

As far as the bike goes, it is really going very well.

When I originally built the engine I used some second hand pistons as I was unsure as to whether it would all work out.

So, a couple of months ago I tore it all down and built up a brand new set of pistons and dropped the valve pockets so as I can dial in a bit more cam advance.

Balanced the piston assemblies and CCed the piston crowns.  So nice working with new pistons.

Built the bottom end all back up with new bearings, rings, pistons and piston pins.

Then pulled the heads down and checked the valves.  Decided to replace all the valves with new as the old ones had done a fair few k's and a lot of them pretty hard.

Valves are not easy to find for 5th Gen engines these days but David Silver had a full set.

Built it all up and reinstalled it in the bike.

Since then it has been going really well and I've got it mapped pretty close now with a wideband O2 sensor in both the front and rear pipes.

I still think it is one of the best modifications you can do to a 6th Gen.

So it's now back to working on our MV 675 F3.  This was us on the grid at Laguna Seca for the MotoAmerica/World SBK round earlier in the year being wished good luck by Claudio from MV Agusta Reparto Corse

Off this weekend to the first main meeting in New Zealand so the VFR is going to take a back seat for the next couple of months.

Cheers

Phil

19956008_474581629570751_6471732910998309241_o.jpg

• Member Contributer

Bloody hell, I'm now looking for a penny somewhere under my desk.  "World Superbike Racer", indeed.  Good luck this weekend, (aka)Phil!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Hey guys, just to clarify things here!

I'm not the rider, just the mechanic, or one of a couple of mechanics, specifically looking after the electronics/race ECU/data logging, as well as anything else that crops up.

Pretty full on.

We are running this MV with a new young rider this year in New Zealand and as well as the MV, a Kramer 690, so no let up in workload.

The rider in the photo is the son of an old friend that rode in the WSBK back in the '80/'90 by the name of Robbie Phillis.  This is Al Phillis who rode for Grallini in the WSBK and spent a number of years in the German Champs riding for Emil Weber.

Cheers

Phil

• Member Contributer

Gotcha!  Okay, so we're not in the presence of greatness, just in the presence of someone who makes their greatness possible!

Ciao,

Archived