Headlight Bulbs keep blowing

Guest WingZer0n

Guest WingZer0n

Hi Folks

My 05.....when I bought it 10 months ago.....I changed the cheap bulbs the old owner used, to a pair of Osram Nightbreakers. I changed the main 2 bulbs and within a month it blew! Then I change to Osram SilverStars....after 2 months both blew! :beatdeadhorse: Now somewhere between my Stator gave up and I change a new Stator coil. So I thought it was maybe because of the stator coil.

A fren of mine suggested using resistors, so I got a pair of Silverstars and a pair of resistors from Autobacs. (I am electrically hopeless, my fren calculated said the resistors will work). So he help me fix the resistors to the headlights and all was working fine......until yesterday (about 5 months later)....the lights flickered for a few seconds when I was going home from work. Today I started the bike and switch on the headlights (I have a manul light switch) and he's a one eyed jack! One gone....so I am still waiting for the right one to blow......this is like totally strange....all my previous bikes used to have headlights bulbs lasting over 2 years. Or could it just be a bad batch from Osram. I prefer Osram lights as they have a yellowish tinge.

Any electrical gurus to guide me check what is wrong?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Quit wasting your money. Buy HIDs, install once, and forget about them. www.vvme.com. H4 for Low Beam, H7 for High Beam.

Juliani

+1.gif on the HID's. Have you had the wiring harness recall done? You can put your VIN on this site or call the dealer and they can run it. It says Honda automobiles but it will also recognize motorcycle VIN's.

Honda recall link

Also, are you sure not to touch the bulbs with your bare fingers when installing them? Other than that you probably need to look for a short or possibly a loose wire in the connector around the low beam relay or associated wiring. Most bulbs are good for just a few years but yours seems too short to be coincidence.

• Member Contributer

It sounds like you might have an issue with your wiring. Not sure if the recall was needed on 05 bikes, but definitely worth checking into. It just takes a five minute call to figure out.

If you do go the HID route, your best bet is actually www.wiremybike.com this is more or less a plug and play unit, with a starter delay, and is made from top quality components for a great price.

I don't know about motorcycle headlights, but I can tell you that OSRAM bulbs for DLP televisions, though better than ebay lamps, will not last as long as the OEM Philips bulbs.

• Member Contributer

ABS model?

Run a wire from the battery and splice it into the small gauge black wire at the R/R connector. You can search this site for "monitor wire" and probably come up with the old threads and detailed how to guides.

Thanks to all.....to bad over here in Singapore the Honda dealer is too crap to do a recall :beatdeadhorse:

Anyway when my stator fried, after replacing it I already did the DIY mod for the wiring harness. My local mechanic said other that a loose wire somewhere it could be the starter button not releasing fully after releasing so it may kinda keep crankin just a bit....

Anyway I'm going to take the cowling off and inspect the wires around the headlights.

HIDs are illegal here if your vehicle doesn't come factory fitted. If its factory fitted then its legal. Anyway I really don't like HID lights.

Jeremy thanks I'll check up on the monitor wires.

• Member Contributer

A recent topic on a car site posted the Osram Nightbreakers were rubbish.

Many have replaced them within months of failing, so maybe a bad batch, or just bad overall.

I'm still on the stock globes 13 years running.

Archived