VF1000R wheel widening

Guest a300fo

Guest a300fo

I asked this question a while ago, but my old login didn't work and couldn't find the replies.

Anyway, I am considering the F2 wheel conversion for my VF1000R. But, has anyone had any luck with wheel widening such as Kosman Specialities? It's not cheap but would keep the original look of the bike.

Also, I am having trouble finding good F2 front wheels. The rears are a little easier to find. This is my dilema. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks

I asked this question a while ago, but my old login didn't work and couldn't find the replies.

Anyway, I am considering the F2 wheel conversion for my VF1000R. But, has anyone had any luck with wheel widening such as Kosman Specialities? It's not cheap but would keep the original look of the bike.

Also, I am having trouble finding good F2 front wheels. The rears are a little easier to find. This is my dilema. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks

I can't help with your question because I've never widened a wheel but wouldn't that make an already really heavy wheel heavier? I'd say just hold out for a good F2 front and go that route unless you really love the stock look. Have you checked out the CBR forums and ebay?

Guest a300fo

Thanks

I can't help with your question because I've never widened a wheel but wouldn't that make an already really heavy wheel heavier? I'd say just hold out for a good F2 front and go that route unless you really love the stock look. Have you checked out the CBR forums and ebay?

Forgot about the weight. I have checked ebay and will continue to check back. I will also check other forums.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

IMO, the rear isn't the problem as much as the front. In the 20 years of riding mine with stock wheels, the front was the only real short coming that I noticed on the street. The front is hard to get rubber for that's any good and it was a little twitchy. The front really needs to be a 17". You can widen the rear but you can do better with lighter wheels and get rid of the 16" altogether.

If I remember correctly. Kosman was not interested in widening the bolt together Comstars. Can't say as I blame them.

Edited by Kel

• 3 months later...

Modern wheels, even much wider ones, can be very light compared to Comstars. On top of the better rubber choice and handling, wheels act like a big flywheel so lighter wheels take less energy to get rolling and less effort to stop. Magnesium is the way to go if you can.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Just saw this.

I've contacted Kosman a couple years ago regarding this exact thing. There was a period where the machine used on comstar wheels was broken, but it's fixed and working now.

They can and will widen the stock VF1000R wheels. They can and will increase the stock 16" wheel to a 17" at the same time.

Yes, they will be heavier than newer wheels.

Yes, it's pricey.

Will it be unique? Definitely...unless you and I both do it.

• Member Contributer

The CBR wheels are a good way to go. They are reasonably cheap and you can use modern rubber. They look good.

I'll probably do it again at some point.

My only issue is "been there, done to death".

I'm interested in trying something different.

• 3 weeks later...