• Forum CEO

Well BR and I looked at every Texasmac route over the last 7 years and found we had a really good choice of routes going to pretty much all directions, some scenic, some short, some medium but we decided on a wider range of milage and destinations this year and included one of Talldrinkofwaters routes for a change of route, we used 2 routes from last year that nobody rode because of the weather so they are still fairly new and then a couple of old standbys. I made a Garmin file I will attach with version 2, version 3, and a gpx file you can convert for other gps units - then along with that a mix of bing maps and google maps. I have not decided which is better for embedding but I have more experience with google maps - I wont embed any at this time cause it will really slow down the page with SIX ROUTES so they will just be links you can click to see the maps.

Route One: the Cross Run - the run up to the Texasmac cross and back, shortest route of them all and really it is what the whole thing is about to honor the first member of vfrd lost. 120 miles total

Route Two: The Gap Cherehola run - 210 miles with the great road out of Franklin to 28, Deals Gap, Tellico Plains, the Cherehola and then topping it all off with Wayah Bend road to the hotel very technical in places.

Route Three: The Blue Ridge Parkway Loop - 168 miles mostly scenic and relaxed pace but some technical aspects

Route Four: GA/NC tire burner - pretty much the longest route of them all 350 miles of North Georgia and North Carolina with all the best parts, and all day affair no doubt only for the stout rider fast to intermediate

Route Five: North Georgia - the best roads in Northern Georgia 200 miles and some very challenging roads half day to all day depending on the pace

Route Six: TallDrink 200 - heading east into three states for some of the better roads in North Carolina Local Favorites plenty of twisties for those of you who have not been east yet on a Texasmac ride

Tmac2011v3.gdb

Tmac2011v2.gdb

Tmac2011gpx.gpx

• Member Contributer

:owned: <--- that's to myself...

I'm a GPS n00b. yes, I'm an engineer, but a complete GPS n00b. What version should I grab for my nuvi 855?

thx

:owned: <--- that's to myself...

I'm a GPS n00b. yes, I'm an engineer, but a complete GPS n00b. What version should I grab for my nuvi 855?

thx

I'm going to load all the routes I can on my Nuvi 750, if you don't get yours sorted by the time we leave, you can plug in to my pc before we head to Timmy's.

• Member Contributer

PM sent Baileyrock........ :fing02:

Couple of questions about the routes.

1. Are these rides all for Saturday, some Friday & some Saturday, all on Friday and Saturday or some configuration I missed?

2. Where do you sign up or join in on a route and find out what pace it will be?

Thanks,

Kenny

1. Are these rides all for Saturday, some Friday & some Saturday, all on Friday and Saturday or some configuration I missed?

2. Where do you sign up or join in on a route and find out what pace it will be?

Thanks,

Kenny

... IIRC.... there is a meeting in the mornings and which type group will go where is made at that time.

Of course there's a few groups that ride together a lot and will have plotted out what they're going to do the night before.

So all the routes listed can be used at will, on any day. Some of the local members usually will lead groups so we're not lost all day :fing02:

Thanks,

Kenny

... IIRC.... there is a meeting in the mornings and which type group will go where is made at that time.

Of course there's a few groups that ride together a lot and will have plotted out what they're going to do the night before.

So all the routes listed can be used at will, on any day. Some of the local members usually will lead groups so we're not lost all day :fing02:

Thanks Monk!

Thanks,

Kenny

If you're looking for info so you can load just some of the routes, you might post what type riding you want to do, and there may be some one that can tell you now.

I know I want to ride the Georgia Tire Burner one day. I don't like running much over 70 on back roads, but I don't want to putt putt in the twisties. A curve marked 35 mph, I will usually enter at 55 to 60. Slower marked curves, I usually double what the sign the says for entry to be be comfortable. Some of those 10 mph signs though can be very serious. So, I'm not "balls to the wall" but I like a very quick pace.

I know I want to ride the Georgia Tire Burner one day. I don't like running much over 70 on back roads, but I don't want to putt putt in the twisties. A curve marked 35 mph, I will usually enter at 55 to 60. Slower marked curves, I usually double what the sign the says for entry to be be comfortable. Some of those 10 mph signs though can be very serious. So, I'm not "balls to the wall" but I like a very quick pace.

KC,

what ride group did you sign-up for?

Over the last few years I pretty much leave the Int. riders/groups to do their own thing as locals or repeat attendees know what their dealing with and who they want to ride with for the most part.

My focus is on the Scenic & Relaxed groups now, making sure these folks have Good Lead/Sweep teams to run with makes things much safer and more enjoyable for everyone! There should be a few of the Relaxed Leads running a quicker Pace depending on who's with them. Just talk to the different Leads and find a group that makes a good fit.

We have some extremely talented Int. Groups who run a fairly Rapid pace and tend to be a tight nit group as they know or want to know that each rider with them knows what their doing and can be trusted. :fing02:

I Always recommend that First Time Attendees to the Tmac pick a Ride Group Level one Lower than their normal ride group and not run INT. unless they have Track time or live in the Mtns. as it's way to easy to get over your head in this part of the country!

KC,

what ride group did you sign-up for?

Over the last few years I pretty much leave the Int. riders/groups to do their own thing as locals or repeat attendees know what their dealing with and who they want to ride with for the most part.

My focus is on the Scenic & Relaxed groups now, making sure these folks have Good Lead/Sweep teams to run with makes things much safer and more enjoyable for everyone! There should be a few of the Relaxed Leads running a quicker Pace depending on who's with them. Just talk to the different Leads and find a group that makes a good fit.

We have some extremely talented Int. Groups who run a fairly Rapid pace and tend to be a tight nit group as they know or want to know that each rider with them knows what their doing and can be trusted. :fing02:

I Always recommend that First Time Attendees to the Tmac pick a Ride Group Level one Lower than their normal ride group and not run INT. unless they have Track time or live in the Mtns. as it's way to easy to get over your head in this part of the country!

I signed up for INT/Fast. I go down and ride these roads a couple or three times a year, plus ride Pine Mountain and Black Mountain here in KY. I led a VFRD ride when Kevin Bray hosted a VFRD event in KY a few years ago. Kevin is KYBillyJackJimBob (or something like that) on here. I ride with him most of the year at his pace.

Thanks,

Kenny

Kevin is KYBillyJackJimBob (or something like that) on here. I ride with him most of the year at his pace.

Thanks,

Kenny

Well in that case your registration is Officially Rejected! :laughing6-hehe:

Archived