Heated grip install question

Guest Loodachris

Guest Loodachris

So I finally got the Oxford heated grips for my VFR and after the install I noticed the left grip can spin freely after they heat up. At first I didn't use the super glue that came with it but after the ride I decided to wait until the next day and try out the super glue that came with it. I let it dry for a couple days then took the bike out again with the grips on high and even the glue broke free and the grip spins freely again. Any ideas on what to use to keep the grip from moving while they are hot?

• Member Contributer

+1.gif

I have used hair spray on both my bikes 1 3+ years & still holding strong, 1 about 6 months no problems

I recommend AQUA NET

"All you needed was a 1/2 can of aqua-net, and you could achieve any style, any height! Perfect for a tight perm to blow out bangs to the ceiling. Required 2 shampooings to remove and still left white "glue-like" substance in hair, the build-up made it easier to get skyscraper bangs next styling!"

Good Stuff :cool:

• Member Contributer

Is your rubber grip spinning around the heating elements or are the heating elements slipping around the metal bar?

If it is the latter, hair spray won't help and you'll want to use a good adhesive. Something like 3M Spray adhesive.

it's the grip spinning around the metal handle bar. The super glue worked but only until the grips were hot then it let go. Hopefully the spray adhesive works at high temps

• Member Contributer

u can buy high temp super glue .... funny that u are having this problem , i too got oxford heaterz and i used the glue that came with it and its holding stong after 2 years . love the grips by the way . the quality of them is great and i love the digital switch and how it shuts itself off if the grips are left on .

as for the hair spray i only found it good for putting on stubborn grips .

hey another idea u could try that works is get the black grip tape spray the shit out of them with the hair spray then jam it on with a rubber malet . i use to use that for my moto grips and the never spun . even when i did the 60foot doubles

• 2 weeks later...

Installed mine last week and had my first opportunity to try them out yesterday morning.

After reading your post before putting the oxford heaterz on, I was a little worried about the glue but they held up just fine. Maybe it is too early yet but I think they will be fine.

I used the super glue that came with the grips.

I must say that grips are excellent. It is no fun commuting while temp is hovering around +1C but my discomfort is totally over now that I have the heaterz on.

cheers.

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

ya i love the grips . even if the temp is 12 celcius i still use them . i also use to use fall gloves that were thincker but not anymore with the oxfords . and 3 seasons and the glue is holding fine . im sold on oxfords ...worth the 65$

I've got the Oxford grips too - had them a couple of years now. I glued only the throttle grip with the super glue. The other one can rotate slightly, but given that I don't hold on with The Grip of Death, it doesn't matter at all. Just have to rotate it back to the right position occasionally...

Wrap one layer of insulating tape round the bar first,

Or 2 if its still not a tight fit (unlikely)

This should also cut down heat transfer into the bars/clip on's

Hello...

Most grip have two little groves for the safety wire...

Remember? Safety wire?

No one has ever tracked a bike and ridden it hard?

I use Hair Spray Extra Hold

Then finish up with safety wire.

vfrgripwire.jpg

Archived