Crossrunner - First ride impression

DDO-VFR

• Member Contributer

Got a 5th gen overlay from the same tester?

No, sorry

Another first ride. Interesting but these guys mention a possible dirtier version is also in the works.

Or maybe they are referring to the veefalo powered crosstourer.

I like that green curve.

Could be that they are talking the Crosstourer, but MD did a story about the CR and CT so they know about the big 1200 too.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2010/11/production-honda-crossrunner-debuts-in-milan-alongside-a-concept-adveture-touring-heavyweight/

This is the first I have heard about a dirty version of the CR...maybe.

I am definitely beginning to like it... I just wish the OEM bags tied the whole package together better. There is something about them that doesn't finish off the bike properly. Another thing I never thought I'd say is that 'white' is the weakest of the colour offerings IMHO. The burgundy and black look tantalizing though :fing02:

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

The write up in the UK's MCN was a bit indifferent, and you can see why. Just an upright seating position with less power, spoilt by peg position.

Yet a friend of mine had a test ride on one yesterday and quite liked it, although he baulked at the 9 grand asking price. He also test rode a CB1000R and couldn't get on with it. And he's 6'4" tall.

So, don't knock it until you've tried it, but I suspect the Market for this bike is not existing VFR owners....

• 3 weeks later...

I may be able to help later on this summer. The Crossrunner is one of my finalists of "what bike to rent" when I go to the Eifel Forrest in July. If so, full write-up.

Money will be an issue and the Crossrunner is 350 euros for a week.

On a different note, this thing is also on the list and I dont know why. It intriques me...........

honda-cbf-600-s-li.jpg

• Member Contributer

On a different note, this thing is also on the list and I dont know why. It intriques me...........

Is that a CBF600?

If it's the same bike I'm thinking of, I've heard it's somewhat anemic and not at all what you would expect from a 600 naked. Depending on your intention whilst in the EU, it may be just the ticket, but you might have more fun on one of these, since it has 25 more horses:

2011HondaHornet.jpg

Personally, I think the Hornet's uglier, but OTOH it might be easier to find one of them vs. the CBF. :happy:

• Member Contributer

Hmmm, surely reworked header pipes and intake trumpets also means different camshaft profiles and also less top end power...

It will be interesting to see how all this pans out because it really could mean that folks are dropping for the Crossrunner ECU and other mods!!

My ride is VTEC 2004 japanese spec, derestricted.

For those of you who do not know, according to Japanese regulations all vehicles are restricted in max. speed (180km/h) and max.power.

For example, 1000cc bikes are limited to 100hp, 400cc - to 53hp. VFR800 comes limitied to 80hp.

However Honda does not give up, and in order to please their customers they add some extra meat to their bikes in low and mid range. (probably other makers do the same).

Following parts have to be replaced if you want your jap spec VTEC to get its ponies back:

-intake trumpets (!!!) original are smaller diameter and longer then export spec (sounds familiar, isn't it?).

-different muffler

-spark plugs (they have to be colder type)

-some air box mods

-some fiddling with ECU wiring

As a result you will get 103hp at slightly lower revs, and yet there is more torque in mid range than export spec has. I saw graphs comparing derestricted jap spec with export spec. So obviously camshafts are different!!!

Almost forgot - VTEC cuts in at sweet 6400RPM!!!

Does not it all sound, that Honda had that Crossrunner engine developed long ago! But for whatever reason (probably less max power) did not use it for any exported bikes.

I could not complain about VTEC transition from the very beggining. However poor throttle control at low revs almost forced me to sell it last summer. I used to own GSX-R1000 K1 and it was much smoother and powerfull at low range (not comparing these two bikes, mind you)

Thanks to this site, I installed PCV and.... here it comes - VFR nirvana.

Cozy's map was not the best though, probably due to different cams and VTEC transition. After a lot of experimenting and fiddling with maps, found that the best one is Dynojet's M111-506.

So, is my bike is the best 6thgen VFR available or what?!?!

;))

...As a result you will get 103hp at slightly lower revs, and yet there is more torque in mid range than export spec has. I saw graphs comparing derestricted jap spec with export spec. So obviously camshafts are different!!!

...Cozy's map was not the best though, probably due to different cams and VTEC transition. After a lot of experimenting and fiddling with maps, found that the best one is Dynojet's M111-506.

;))

Umm, So you lost the power dip at 6-7k rpm? Got torque spilled all over the lower RPMS now?

-This means maybe you now have a 4.5 Gen, or 5.1 depending...

For full effect get a full-on, analog 4th gen their 8 valves kick in when you turn the key. :biggrin::fing02:

• Member Contributer

...As a result you will get 103hp at slightly lower revs, and yet there is more torque in mid range than export spec has. I saw graphs comparing derestricted jap spec with export spec. So obviously camshafts are different!!!

...Cozy's map was not the best though, probably due to different cams and VTEC transition. After a lot of experimenting and fiddling with maps, found that the best one is Dynojet's M111-506.

;))

Umm, So you lost the power dip at 6-7k rpm? Got torque spilled all over the lower RPMS now?

-This means maybe you now have a 4.5 Gen, or 5.1 depending...

For full effect get a full-on, analog 4th gen their 8 valves kick in when you turn the key. :biggrin::fing02:

Do not forget, that my "5.1" runs in nice 6th gen chassis

;)

Archived