Crossrunner - First ride impression

DDO-VFR

• Member Contributer

Nice write-up ... very interesting ... I reckon I'm a cert for a test-ride when they make it here!

• Member Contributer

Krud! I am this close >||< to pulling the trigger on a DP bike, which I will then have to modify to be more streetish. Honda Canada, why can't I buy this bike???

Glenn

Visordown first ride impression.

You lucky buggers in Europe.... :angry:

Visordown

Brian

• Member Contributer

Visordown

Brian

I like how some of this sounds for us VFR800 VTEC owners:

"The mid range is massively better than the VFR800's thanks largely to reworked header pipes and inlet trumpets that are longer (20mm) and narrower (by 6.5mm) at their throats. The remapped VTEC is much, much better, too. Transformational. That feeling of fuel starvation at the transition point has gone completely."

I'm patiently waiting for some of these parts to become available (the intake trumpets, that delectable tailsection, maybe the header). It's nice that Honda is still doing some development work on our platform, even if it is in an upright, duck-billed, "adventure" version.

Lacy

• Member Contributer

Krud! I am this close >||< to pulling the trigger on a DP bike, which I will then have to modify to be more streetish. Honda Canada, why can't I buy this bike???

Glenn

Visordown

Brian

You can, cross the border and bring it home

• Member Contributer

" Quite why they didn't do this to the VFR800 six, seven or eight years ago mystifies me, really."

That's the thing that kind of annoys me. I'll believe that they managed to improve the 6th gen engine. I mean, after 8 years you better find someway to make it better. If it's really that much different, why wouldn't they just release a 7th gen VFR800? Add a well priced option for helibars and it probably would have sold better than they were selling for the last few years.

• Member Contributer

You can, cross the border and bring it home

???

From the Honda USA site:

Search Results

No entries found for "crossrunner".

Otherwise there's a bit more than just a border involved...

Glenn

• Member Contributer

The Visor Down write up was nice. I, too, like the sound of what they did with the motor to give it more mid-range. My VTEC is pretty smooth, so I don't have any real complaints, but I'd never say no to more mid-range. If they ever bring this to the US, and make the luggage available, I'd consider it when it comes time to replace my VFR. IMO, it's a lot closer to the VFR than the 7th gen. Not that the 7th gen is a bad bike, but not really what I want. But the Crossrunner is basically a VFR redesigned for more every day use.

Oh, and the video looks good. Too bad I don't know French.

• Member Contributer

Honda_Crossrunner_st3pz.jpg

Half-a-VTEC muffler? WTF?

Otherwise looks good!

• Member Contributer

I would give it a test drive just to compare the differences of the motors.

At first I was thinking "no way" but seeing the seat height is about the same I think it would be a consideration if I ever needed to replace my VFR. More upright seating would help my back a lot better, all ready setup for hard bags, and the styling is appealing to my eyes. It definitely has me thinking. Of course I would have to take it to the twisties first though. :biggrin:

Visordown

Brian

Well if it helps, I live in north Europe and I will not see the Crossrunner untill late May, or early June.....

VisorDown sure have great first ride writeups, I also enjoyed the 2011 CBR600F one :happy:

• Member Contributer

Goog write up, but where has this guy been for the last 5 years under a rock???

That horrible stuttery transition of the VTEC system

The remapped VTEC is much, much better, too.

uhm, didn't Honda fix that in like 07 when they moved the VTEC point to 6800 from 7000 RPM?, or have they reworked it again I wonder?

• Member Contributer

uhm, didn't Honda fix that in like 07 when they moved the VTEC point to 6800 from 7000 RPM?, or have they reworked it again I wonder?

Yes, they cleaned it up a lot for 06 or 07. My 07 is pretty smooth, until I don't want it to be. :biggrin: But it sounds like they reworked the motor, too, not just the VTEC to smooth it out and give more mid-range torque.

• Member Contributer

Hmmm, surely reworked header pipes and intake trumpets also means different camshaft profiles and also less top end power...

It will be interesting to see how all this pans out because it really could mean that folks are dropping for the Crossrunner ECU and other mods!!

Got a 5th gen overlay from the same tester?

No, sorry

Another first ride. Interesting but these guys mention a possible dirtier version is also in the works.

Or maybe they are referring to the veefalo powered crosstourer.

The Crossrunner has a very balanced suspension system with 43 mm Showa forks adjustable for compression, rebound and preload

I don't think that is correct.

• Member Contributer

Got a 5th gen overlay from the same tester?

not from the same tester, but here are your gens...

IM000015.jpg

Archived