Installing a SHAD SH42 Top Case on a 6th Gen

whiteboyslo

• Member Contributer

This thread will contain anything and everything that I learn regarding the experience of having a SHAD top case on my 6th gen, including: what to buy (and not to buy), where to buy, how to install, pics of install process, pics of final product, and final overall review.

WHY SHAD?

There's not a lot out there about SHAD, especially for VFRs. I first learned of the brand from a buddy with a Wee-Strom who was more than happy with his. I had looked at Givi's offerings, but nothing really tickled my fancy. So I decided to give SHAD a shot.

WHY THE SH42?

A picture: http://www.shad.es/en/shad-usa/products/cases/c9/en/shad-usa/products/cases/top-cases/sh42/c17r35/

I liked a lot of things about it. First and foremost, I liked the aesthetics. I find a lot of Givi stuff to be really ugly, personally. I really don't care for any case with red reflectors and this one doesn't have them. This case only has silver reflectors, which actually are just reflective stickers. Second, this case supposedly has enough volume to hold (2) helmets, which isn't bad considering it's not all that wide (not wider than the bike, which is great for lane splitting out here in CA).

WHAT ELSE IS NEEDED TO INSTALL?

In addition to the case, you will need a 'rack' to mount it to. The safest bet is the one made by SHAD for the bike, which they call a 'Top Master Fitting'. Here's the link to SHAD's info, including install instructions: http://www.shad.es/en/shad-usa/products/fittings/honda/vfr-800-vtec/2004/c12mar1mod183mot1154/

FYI, according to their site, they also carry 'racks' for the 5th Gens and the new 7th Gens as well.

BTW, for those wondering why I keep putting 'rack' in apostrophes, it's because the 'rack' offered by SHAD really isn't a rack per se, it's more of an adapter. I'll post pics later to explain, but take a quick gander at the pdf install instructions in the previous link and you'll understand.

WILL OTHER RACKS WORK WITH SHAD?

Of course, I have not tried every rack out there, so I cannot answer that question fully. However, I DID try the Five Stars rack (ordered from Germany at www.motoin.de) with no success. Read up on my 'saga' here: (at the end)

According to Twisted Throttle, the SW Motech Alu-Rack will work, but may require drilling. Read here: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/article/view/120

WHERE TO ORDER:

NOTE: As far as I can tell, most stateside SHAD vendors are drop-shipping from a distribution center located in Miami, FL. It would be best to contact any vendor you purchase from PRIOR to placing the order to validate availability.

The case: I ordered the case from http://www.cycleluggage.com/ . I had never ordered from them before, but the reviews I could find seemed solid enough so I gave it a shot. The transaction was seemless and the product arrived in a reasonable amount of time. It should be noted that I did NOT contact them prior to the order, despite the advice I just gave.

The rack: I ordered the rack from http://www.cli-maxridinggear.com/ . Again, I had never orderd from them before. This time, I DID call first to verify the rack was available, which it was (drop-shipped from FL). My only reason for ordering from Cli-Max and not Cycle Luggage was that they were faster answering my question regarding availability and at this point I'm so anxious to get the case installed I went with the first vendor to say 'YES'. *UPDATE*: I wholeheartedly recommend this vendor. I ordered the rack on a Thursday and it arrived on a Tuesday. The vendor was not able to provide tracking info, but this is a fault at SHAD's distribution center more than the vendor. However, the vendor was able to tell me the method of shipment and has even gone so far as to call me to ask if the product has arrived. That's good customer service if you ask me.

CAUTION: While researching, you may come across a vendor called www.oldbikebarn.com. They had the best price on the rack by about $20, but a quick google search shows a LOT of very unsatisfied customers, so I steered clear. I'm not saying to NOT order from them, but buyer beware.

IMPRESSIONS OUT OF THE BOX:

The case: To be honest, my first impression was just a bit disappointing. When I first opened the box, I was greeted by a haphazardly installed top sticker that was already beginning to peel off. Upon inspection of the side reflector stickers (the ones I mentioned earlier), I found them trying to peel up as well. A little bit of firm pressure and all was well, but you would think a little more attention to detail could be spent, especially since it's the first thing you see as you open the box. Past that, however, I was very pleased. I have not owned any 'hard' motorcycle luggage before, but this seems solid. Fit and finish (outside of the stickers) was very good and SHAD supplied some very well thought out hardware for install. I was expecting the case to be a bit thicker and heavy-duty (much like a standard hard luggage from, say, Samsonite) but after comparing the case to those a few friends have I found it to be comparable. I suppose the idea is to keep the weight down. It is very solid and unflimsy, though.

The rack: WOW! Any apprehensions I had that this rack was going to be flimsy were quickly put to rest the minute I opened the box. These guys are BEEFY! They're made of oblong tubular steel and have some heft to 'em. For those worried about losing the passenger grab handles, don't be. The rack has built-in handles to replace the ones you have to remove to install these. Are they as comfortable as the OEMs? Probably not, but they're sturdy. The fit and finish was fantastic and everything included is top-notch quality. There's also a small strip of foam rubber on the bottom of the rack to ensure a waterproof seal with the rear plastics around the mount point. Very nice.

THE INSTALLATION:

OK, I'm going to have to apologize for not taking pics of the install. Two things kept me from doing this. One is that I was just too darn anxious to get this thing on the bike (remember, this was a Xmas gift). The other is that, quite honestly, no pictures are needed. This is a VERY quick and straight-forward install. SHAD includes great instructions with the rack (same ones in the link I posted) and with the case (for installing the mounting plate). After you get the stock handles off, it's just a matter of bolting the rack pieces to the bike and then bolting the mounting plate that comes with the case to the rack. No cutting, no drilling, no bending, nothing. All you need for tools are a 10mm wrench (ratcheting would help), a Philips screwdriver, and a 5mm hex.

A bit of advice: Leave everything loose, get it aligned, then tighten everything up. There is a little bit of play at both ends of the rack, but a bit of patience will get everything symmetrical. I started by getting the mounting plate aligned and tightening it, then aligning the rack/mounting plate to the bike and tightening the bolts that attach the rack to the bike. Also, a bit of Loctite (NOT red) may not be a bad idea for the bolts attaching the rack to the bike. I didn't put any on right now. I'll report back if I notice anything loosening.

THE FINAL RESULT (PICS):

OK, some pics!

Bikewithcaseright.jpg

Bikewithcaseleft.jpg

Bikewithcaserear.jpg

Bikewithcasefront.jpg

Caseempty.jpg

And some of the rack without the case installed:

Bikewithrackleft.jpg

Bikewithrackrear.jpg

Bikewithrackclose-up.jpg

So, it looks darn good IMO. But, one thing I do need to caution others about is the alleged ability to fit (2) helmets in this guy. Uhm, no. So here's the case with a SHOEI XL helmet and my wife's KBC Medium helmet in there:

Casewith2helmets2.jpg

Casewith2helmets1.jpg

As you can see, it's a TIGHT fit. In fact, the case won't close with both of them in there:

Casewith2helmetsnotclosed.jpg

And, if you have a GIANT head like me, you may run into this problem: I have a 3XL HJC helmet, shown here:

Casewithmyhelmetonside.jpg

But, with the helmet laying in as shown, it won't close:

Casewithmyhelmetnotclosed.jpg

However, positioning the helmet like this will allow it to close:

Casewithmyhelmetupright.jpg

So, if you NEED to hold two helmets, get a bigger case because this one will NOT work!

On the plus side, though, the rack doesn't interfere with the seat, even with the solo seat cowl installed. The seat can easily be removed and installed with the rack in place. Also, the rack puts the case far enough back that I don't have to do any awkward maneuvers to get on and off the bike, which is impressive considering I have a very long inseam.

IMPRESSIONS AFTER RIDING A FEW DAYS:

*Will come soon. We're experiencing Santa Anas right now (that's SoCal speak for wind) and it's the Superbowl this weekend. But I have a nice long ride coming up a week from this Sunday.*

• Member Contributer

Excellent write-up. Thanks for sharing. I'm planning on ordering the SH33 in the spring (right now it's snowmagedden on Toronto). I was uncertain about the "rack" set-up and your pics have answered all of my questions.

Best of luck and enjoy.

---David

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Bumpity bump.....do you know if the SHAD rack works with the OEM sidebags on the 6th gen? So far that rack looks like the lowest and closest to the bike, which I like. I'd plan on putting a GIVI plate on it.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Bumpity bump.....do you know if the SHAD rack works with the OEM sidebags on the 6th gen?

Bumpier bump...I have the factory side cases/frame, can this add-on?

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

It does. That's the exact set up I have right now. I had to drill a mounting hole for the givi plate to mount my box, but two more holes, one for each side, and your done. My givi box (forgot the size) does eat into my mpg, but it's awesome for touring. To usually don't mount it for in city stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Archived