VFR800 track project

kostritzer

• Member Contributer

Hey guys, just thought I'd start a thread on the VFR track bike project I've started working on. Its currently just a tribute to Honda parts interchangeability, but I think I have some unique ideas to make it an interesting project.

So far the general plan is to build a lightweight VFR track mule without spending an insane amount of money on internal engine modifications and crazy carbon fiber body parts. As she sits, theres a 5th gen engine with RC51 SP2 front and rear ends, a 6th gen main frame and lower "cushion" as Honda calls it. Yes, you 5th genners can bolt this thing to your bikes and add normal rear sets, easy peezy.

It looks like I should be able to use the 5th/6th gen style linkage by adding the mount for the triangle to the SP2 swingarm. This seems to be the most straight forward way of doing the swing arm swap while making a minimum of modifications.

I would also like to add some reinforcement to the main frame, and even try to link the main frame to the "cushion" by means of a bolt on aluminum plate, similar to the plates Erion racing used(as well as Moriwaki, and I believe Harris or Spondon on the SuperHawk) on their 929's. As for front of the frame stiffening, I'd like to extend the front engine mounts to the lower part of the block/case ala the RC45. I may also add a cross tube between the frame spars above the forward cylinder head and near the steering stem, or just box that area in similar to the RC45.

Why not just buy an RC45?

A. They're too expensive

B. They're too rare

C. They're too expensive

D. I can't afford one

E. Where's the fun in that?

At the bare minimum it should be a fun track bike with a glorious V4 soundtrack sending shivers down my spine, something my CBR600RR just can't quite do, though the 600 will be my benchmark for handling!

post-15174-0-73156300-1295242492_thumb.j

post-15174-0-06951700-1295242709_thumb.j

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking forward to see how it turns out, You will find that without Carbon fibre it's difficult to lose weight. How much difference SSSA compered to the CBR Swingarm? I save more than 6 kg on mine RC36/2

• Member Contributer

I'm looking forward to see how it turns out, You will find that without Carbon fibre it's difficult to lose weight. How much difference SSSA compered to the CBR Swingarm? I save more than 6 kg on mine RC36/2

I don't have a SSSA to compare with, as this one is being built from pieces. I'll try to weigh the SP2 swing arm when I get a chance, if anyone has 5th or 6th gen swing arm weights feel free to chime in.

I definitely plan on leaving off anything that isn't necessary, so most likely will be going for a total loss system(VFR's come like that from the factory anyway) and minimal body work. Actually, I was thinking about a carbon RVF400 upper and tank cover, with a small aluminum tank under the seat, so carbon is not completely out of the question. At some point I have to separate dream from reality though, and try to be as realistic as possible with regards to how much money I want to put into this. To be honest, I'll be happy if the bike weighs less than my CBR, which is around 410lbs wet. But I'd like to shoot for around 375 lbs wet.

:cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Love the idea of it. Go, go, go!!

Don't forget to post your details on what works & what doesn't. How much wider is the 51 swinger than stock? Have you checked chain alignment yet?

• Member Contributer

Sweet!

Great project. :fing02:

What, if anything, do you have planned for correcting the front geometry?

How does the steering head angle on a 6th gen fram differ from the RC51 (I am assuming that those are RC51 upper and lower triples) and what are your plans for correcting rake and trail so that the steering is not adversely affected?

Keith

• Member Contributer

I haven't centered the swingarm or aligned the chain yet, waiting for some sprockets to show up so I can do that. Seems to be tons of room for the RC51 arm to slide side to side. As for the foot peg "cushion", so far it looks like a straight bolt on for a 5th gen, I haven't measured it, but it looks like the linkage mounts in exactly the same place as on the 5th gen. I know the dog bone is the same part number between 5th and 6th gens(triangle plates are different though, at least the part numbers are).

• Member Contributer

Does anyone know what the swing arm length (pivot to axle center) is on a sixth gen? Trying to get a rough estimate for what my final wheelbase will be.

2 chain links more than a 5th. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I suggest you replace the dogbone with a pair of large heim joints and a turnbuckle to more easily adjust your ride height later on.

Thats definitely something to consider in the future, I will be playing with shock length as well.

• Member Contributer

Does anyone know what the swing arm length (pivot to axle center) is on a sixth gen? Trying to get a rough estimate for what my final wheelbase will be.

Thats at least an inch! Probably pretty close to what the SP2 length is, I'll have to go back and re-measure it.

• Member Contributer

Thats at least an inch! Probably pretty close to what the SP2 length is, I'll have to go back and re-measure it.

Cool project, I would like to do something simular weight strip with another 5th gen in the future. Any chance you weigh the SP2 swingarm?

• Member Contributer

Cool project, I would like to do something simular weight strip with another 5th gen in the future. Any chance you weigh the SP2 swingarm?

Haven't weighed it yet, but will do so soon. I'll try to weigh the entire assembly, swing arm, wheel, hub axle etc. so we can compare it to the VFR stuff.

• Member Contributer

I don't have anyway to accurately measure that at the moment, but if you're looking for ballpark I have a swingarm not on a bike and it's ~560 mm, or ~22 inches center to center.

If you can wait a couple days I can give you a very accurate dimension, PM me if you're interested.

• Member Contributer

I don't have anyway to accurately measure that at the moment, but if you're looking for ballpark I have a swingarm not on a bike and it's ~560 mm, or ~22 inches center to center.

If you can wait a couple days I can give you a very accurate dimension, PM me if you're interested.

Is that with the axle adjuster rotated all the way forward? If so, thats actually about an inch longer than the SP2 arm which is about 530mm according to the guys on the superhawk site. According to measurements taken from a thread on superhawkforum.com, the 5th gen is approximately 515.5mm. IIRC the 6th gen's wheelbase is approximately 2" longer than the 5th gens, so that would make sense.

• Member Contributer

Is that with the axle adjuster rotated all the way forward? If so, thats actually about an inch longer than the SP2 arm which is about 530mm according to the guys on the superhawk site. According to measurements taken from a thread on superhawkforum.com, the 5th gen is approximately 515.5mm. IIRC the 6th gen's wheelbase is approximately 2" longer than the 5th gens, so that would make sense.

I have the axle adjuster removed, so that's from the center of the pivot to the center of the hole left when you remove the axle adjuster... sorry, should have mentioned that before :blush:

• Member Contributer

I have the axle adjuster removed, so that's from the center of the pivot to the center of the hole left when you remove the axle adjuster... sorry, should have mentioned that before :blush:

Ok, so that measurement is probably somewhere in the middle then.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Looking good - wheel/spockets lineups is probably the toughest part to get right.

You're right, there is about 2mm between the inside of the right side swing arm pivot and the engine case. I'll have to machine a few mm from one side of the counter shaft sprocket to align the chain.

Archived