Pirelli Diablo

keny

Pirelli-DiabloRear.gif0000_Pirelli_Diablo_Performance_Sport_Front_Tire.jpg

Ok I know this is a old design tire, but its still produced(at least 2010) and out there, and you can get a killer deal on them.

It got exelent repurtation for handling and grip, and was a trie many MC mags used when comparing bikes to get to same level, as it seem to work on every bike werry well.

I´m talking the sportier regulad Diablo here, NOT the Strada or Corsa versions.

I´m planing a trip this summer, wounder if they will last the distanse?

• Member Contributer

Very good tire. Grip level matches the Pilot Power. Excellent in the wet. Not a long wearing tire to say the least. If you ride them agressively the rear will last around 2700 miles. For general sport touring you should be able to get about 3200 miles from the rear. The front will last not quite double whatever you get from the rear.

Ran them on my VFR for a couple years and they always worked well.

I've run several sets and normally get 3,000 - 3500 miles out of the rear. I commute a lot to work, but wouldn't say I am easy on them either. Even Sport Touring tires I can't seem to get more than 4k miles out of.

I tried the Angel STs and got 4800m (8000km) out of them. But I must comment here that after melting away 65,000 miles worth of tire, (Dunlops, BF Goodrich, Metzler, Michelin, Pirelli) the best value for money is STILL :beatdeadhorse: the PR2 rear and PP front. This may not be true if you install the tires yourself, otherwise adding in the total cost of tire ownership ($ per mile) AND considering performance, Michelin PP + PR2 is THE choice.

Kinda dissappointing I know, because we all like to try different stuff...having said that, if your annual mileage is low (one set of tires or less), maybe it's just a nice luxury to slap on a fresh set each spring, so try different ones each year, just for sh!ts and giggles. :biggrin:

Brian

• Member Contributer

I know this is going to sound outrageous but here goes I am a fairly mellow rider(plus our cool NW Climate), was commuting alot before I got my other bike....

TIRES Pirelli Diablos

1st SET 16,220 10/14/06 10/06/07

2ND FRONT 11,639 10/06/07 06/13/09 had to change(bulging after I got backed into)

2ND REAR 17,869 10/06/07 10/31/09

Frnt SO FAR 15,540 06/13/09 12/24/10

Rear SO FAR 9,310 10/31/09 12/24/10

Gary

I know this is going to sound outrageous but here goes I am a fairly mellow rider, was commuting alot before I got my other bike....

TIRES Pirelli Diablos

2ND FRONT 11,639 10/06/07 06/13/09 had to change(bulging after I got backed into)

Gary

It's only outrageous if your unit of measure is in miles! :ohmy:

Brian

• Member Contributer

A riding buddy had the Diablos mounted on his 5th gen and I rode it once and was SOLD. Since then that is the only tire I have purchased (with one small exception). I have had the Diablos mounted on both the VFR and the RC51. I found them to be a great tire for the RC51 but found that I preferred the Diablo on the front and Diablo Strada for the rear on my 03 VFR. The Strada's profile was easier for me to hold the same lean angle thru a corner. It seemed like I was always overcorrecting with front and rear Diablos. No fault of the tire, I'm sure it is my riding style and riding preference.

Here is my results with spirited rides and a 15 mile commute for the VFR. I did not keep track of mileage on the RC51.

Diablo (front)

7663 mi

8214 mi

8026 mi

Diablo (rear)

3910 mi

Diablo Strada (rear)

8600 mi

8600 mi

7600 mi

• Member Contributer

I know this is going to sound outrageous but here goes I am a fairly mellow rider, was commuting alot before I got my other bike....

TIRES Pirelli Diablos

Gary

It's only outrageous if your unit of measure is in miles! :ohmy:

Brian

Yes it is miles :biggrin: I feel as though I must be missing out on something (besides buying tires :happy: ) due to my riding style...

Gary

Fantastic tire all around, only reason I stopped running them as they got about 20% less mileage than a Pilot Power did for me only lasting between 1600-2000 miles on the rear! :blush:

best tire ever. i just put some on and almost did my yearly "aren't new tires great" thread....2000 miles is all i get though, but still worth it at the $ you pay right now.

Very timely. I just picked up a set, and it's good to see at least someone here who rides the D. Strada on the rear, and Diablo on front.

Right now I have Bridgestones; Front 016 with 8k miles, and probably another 1,000 to go. and a 021 rear, now in its last day with 10k miles.

Good to know that the Diablos have a good history with the VFR. Protip I picked somewhere saved me from accepting a front tire with a mfg. date of 3408!!, the warehouse guy tried to pass that on to me. No way. The new ones I did pick up have 2410 and 3810. (week-year). Right on.

Hope I can get the rear installed tmorro!, I'm riding to a huuge gathering on Sunday. Some 3k+ riders are expected. (I know, shouldn't, but it's for business too). It's called the blessing of the lids, and it's a huge party put on by a priest who likes bikes, in a town called Hostotipaquillo (near Tequila, 2 hrs away). Everyone puts their lids in the central plaza around fountains, there are mariachi bands, free food, tons of freaks in all kinds of bikes, and 100's of dancers in native costume, all so the lids can receive proper blessing.(past outings there are on pages 6, 7 on my flickr)

• 3 weeks later...

I used only the rear tyre for two times (almost all without passenger and luggage)

first 7500 km

second 8900 km

good grip and handing (until 5000, 6000 km...) :fing02:

• 9 months later...

They are cheap but the Pilot Power is the better tire and about the same price.

I got 2K on my last set of Diablo's. They were slipping out at 1500 miles.

I regularly get 3K on the PP.

I might be bias since I seem to have bad luck getting Pirelli's to hook up on pavement.

I just about crashed my 848 with the stock Corsa Dragons they just would not stick in a full lean.

Very timely. I just picked up a set, and it's good to see at least someone here who rides the D. Strada on the rear, and Diablo on front.

I love the original Diablo as pictures in the first post, fantastic tire, but short life!

I tried the Strada on the rear a few times and did NOT like it! I only got an extra 400 miles vs standard Diablo and the rear Stepped Out often after about the first 1k miles on them during my normal spirited Pace! :ohmy: It wasn't worth the huge loss of grip and confidence levels for an extra rides worth of mileage!

A PR2 rear will offer twice the grip levels of the Strada and three times the mileage! In fact the PR2 rear is the Only ST rated tire that has ever met my needs in a tire: Wet & Dry grip, high confidence & feed back levels and wear rate period! :smile:

I just about crashed my 848 with the stock Corsa Dragons they just would not stick in a full lean.

Did the thought cross your mind , the traction level wasnt there and to adjust your riding, than destroying a nice bike ?

I can understand if you dont have any level of traction feel, many dont and are totally at mercy of their tires.

Did the thought cross your mind , the traction level wasnt there and to adjust your riding, than destroying a nice bike ?

I can understand if you dont have any level of traction feel, many dont and are totally at mercy of their tires.

That is easier said that done, Young Padawan.

You might want to schedule your trip to T-Mac 2012 so you can experience roads which Texas can not offer.

You might find that many roads in my neighborhood are far better than any racetrack with much less traffic.

I am very loyal to Michelin...

I have to say a Corsa dragon is a street legal race tire, so it might not be the best for roads if they even some dampt or dirty. The Diablo is a great tire so I heard, but I have to say I eventually ended up on a set of Contis, the Road attac 2. Have to say its a impressive tire grip and behave wise, could easlly be sold like a sport tire instead of a ST tire grip wise. But the rear seem to have a short life, and front has cuped, thro it might be I has a bad head bearing that coused that. I have something to do this winter...........

Very good tire. Grip level matches the Pilot Power. Excellent in the wet. Not a long wearing tire to say the least. If you ride them agressively the rear will last around 2700 miles. For general sport touring you should be able to get about 3200 miles from the rear. The front will last not quite double whatever you get from the rear.

Ran them on my VFR for a couple years and they always worked well.

Grip does not match Pilot power(much more skiddish), unless you not really pushing, its a decent sportour tire though . But so easily beat by todays standards why bother, I havent ran them in years, as the quality standard is now at a higher level.

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

After a screw up by cycle gear, I just got my diablo super sports put on my 02 VFR. These are the same tires I had when I bought the bike last year. The old ones ran great, I just don't know how long they were on the bike and the front tire was cupping. So I changed them out. They have great grip in dry/wet conditions. Got mine on the cyclegear deal for $189/set. I like them.

Sorry I don't have any experience with Michelin tires, so no comment.

Wow. I might just have to jump on this deal. thanks for the heads up.

I had Diablos when I bought the bike. I liked them... for this price, I'll stay with these "evils" lol

• Member Contributer

FYI......You can now get these tires shipped for $164 at Cycle Gear while supplies last when you use promo code RN25OFF (taxes may apply depending on your state)

That is a great deal!!!

Rollin

• Member Contributer

FYI......You can now get these tires shipped for $164 at Cycle Gear while supplies last when you use promo code RN25OFF

What! Well I did get a $20 gift card because they sent me the wrong rear tire and had to wait for the right one to arrive. So i guess its almost even.

Great deal though! Thanks for posting it.

FYI......You can now get these tires shipped for $164 at Cycle Gear while supplies last when you use promo code RN25OFF (taxes may apply depending on your state)

That is a great deal!!!

Rollin

Thanks. I ordered today for $164 front and rear. whoohoo!

Archived