Official TEXASMAC 2011 Event Thread, May 19th-22nd

Welcome to the official 2011 TexasMac Memorial Ride thread.

The event will run May 19th thru May 22nd, 2011.

This is the 8th Annual T-Mac.

Event HQ/Motel

This year we will return to the Franklin Motel in Franklin, NC it will be event HQ and starting point. http://www.thefranklinmotel.com/

Please see Event Registration below and sign-up also when you book a room.

I have all the Motel's 51 rooms reserved for VFRD and these rooms will be held for us only until April 15th when all non-reserved rooms will be released for anyone else to rent.

Ask for the VFRD/Kevin Bailey reserved rooms.

Our rates for this event are $50/night for singles and $55/night for doubles and $80/night for the large doubles w/king & double. Please contact the Franklin Motel (800-433-5507) and reserve your room(s) with a credit card in order to hold them for our event. I would love to have the entire place just for the T-Mac, but doubt we will have that many attenders to do so.

Beer is allowed at the Motel, but as there is no large indoor meeting room the Pool area is the only other area we can hang out as a group. Bottles/glass are NOT allowed in the Pool area, please respect this one rule!!!

Event Registration

Again this year we are using Eventbrite On-line registration for this years T-Mac.

Here's the link: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/1160796975

Please add your VFRD member name to your Paypal payment note, thanks.

There is a registration fee that includes an event T-shirt and helps to cover other incidental cost of maps and such for the event.

It will ask for you shirt size, preferred Ride Group, days you plan to attend and emergency contact and info so we know what medication you might need and have someone to contact in case of any problem. On that note it's also advisable to carry emergency contact info on you for the same reason, I like the helmet info packets best myself.

Also with Ride group selection being private you might be less likely to let ego choose your group and I suggest you drop down one level to start with, then move up or down as needed through out the event.

You can now order extra T-Shirts on-line also.

Group Dinner- This is new this year and we will have everyone together Saturday night for a group dinner, it will be a catered meal at the motel.

This is also a chance to hand out any awards or door prizes with everyone in attendance. Right now I have $12 meal Tickets available for purchase in registration.

Group rides

I may only have ride groups organized with Lead/Sweep teams for the Relaxed/Scenic ride groups this year and just let all Int. & Advanced riders organize their own groups. Let me know your thoughts here!

We will have group rides/routes planned for Friday & Saturday that will include both long and short versions so riders can decide just how far they what to ride. Thursday & Sunday will not have any official ride or route planned, just days to acclimate to the area and do whatever you like.

As mentioned we will have long (aprox 250 mile) and short routes (aprox 150 mile) each day and each group will have a Lead/Sweep team to guide/control/maintain a SAFE group ride .

We'll have at least 3 ride group categories, Relaxed(newer riders),Scenic(Int/slow)& Intermediate(Int/fast) groups. The idea here is Not to let Ego choose your ride group. We want everyone to have a fun and safe time while participating in this event and controlling how groups are run is the biggest factor in a successful and safe event.

This is not a Competition or Race and our Lead riders will lead for the entire group, not a "your on your own" attitude.

Safety and fun will be the focus of all group rides, the idea is for everyone to make it home safely and share what a great time they had at the T-Mac. Not who's the fastest rider. Please keep the ego's at home.

- Routes will be posted sometime next spring and will include GPS and hard maps of each days ride.

- Lead/Sweep teams will be picked from volunteers I choose that have the attitude I'm looking for which is Group oriented not self and you do not need to be a star rider, super fast or live in the area to be a good team member. I'll start a different thread for that over the next few weeks and will get into more detail then.

- Group size - I hope to have enough quality Lead/sweep teams to keep group sizes small as smaller groups sizes make everything easier and safer. Preferably 6-8 riders per.

Basic Ride Groups:

Scenic: Beginner/newer riders & riders who never go over the posted limits, have little to no twisty experience and are in no hurry to get anywhere. Group stops often for pics/rest/talk.

Relaxed:(Int/slow) Experienced riders, but little twisty experience. Confident in skills except newer to Heavy Mtn Twisties. PACE is Speed limit +/- 5-10 mph. Fun, Safe & consistent PACE. Shorter Loops(150/200 mile) because heavy twisty routes cause fatigue to set in MUCH Faster than normal. Time for extra miles if desired.

Intermediate:(Int/fast) Experienced TWISTY/Mtn riders and or track day experience, confident with non-stop twisties and the endurance to handle them on longer routes(usually 300+ miles) Ride PACE avg. of 10-20 mph over.

Note on group selection:

This area is unmatched in twisties both in volume, duration and technical level compared to 90% of the rest of the country and if you don't ride in similar terrine in that other 10% of the country YOU WILL NOT BE READY FOR WHAT YOU'LL ENCOUNTER HERE !

These twisties there are endless providing little chance to rest and fatigue sets in very quickly. Fatigue multiplies the chance of crashing by 10 fold especially in this area where the turn you just screwed up is only half as hard as the one your now entering from the wrong side of the road. Even the slightest mistake is compounded by the extremely technical nature of these roads that provide little to No room for error!

Please do not take group selection lightly, your life may depend on it! I can not express that fact enough!

We place a lot of importance and responsibility in the roll of our Lead/Sweep Teams and our desire for them to focus on GROUP safety as it's a very important aspect of this events success. But No matter how dedicated out Teams are, we can not control the choices each attendee makes and the effect these have on the entire Event. :unsure:

Each rider coming to this event also plays a hug roll in it's success buy choosing a proper and safe ride group for them. If you are an Intermediate rider in most of the country you will be a Relaxed level rider in this part of the country, please don't let ego pick your ride group! This is the single biggest and most important decision you will make when attending the T-Mac, it will play the biggest role in the fun and safety of everyone involved.

Please do your part and focus on the Fun factor along with Not loosing sight of the fact that this is a Memorial Ride for the first VFRD member to loose his life!

Thanks

Pre-Ride Meetings

We try to have pre-ride meetings each morning before the days ride at breakfast(TBA). The days ride is covered along with maps handed out to anyone that doesn't already have one, the group is then broken down into ride groups with Lead/Sweep teams for each. If there is a planned group lunch stop it will also be discussed.

Ride Rules

Please read rules at this link.

http://www.vfrdiscus...showtopic=32096

We also ride the PACE, read link:

http://www.vfrdiscus...=0

Ride area

This area has some of the best roads this country has to offer with great pavement, beautiful scenery and tons of twisties. But all of these great twisties can also be a hazard for riders who don't get to ride great twisties often and even for skilled riders who loose focus. It's a great area, but can also be hazardous.

Be careful and don't ride over your head.

Please add your VFRD member name to your Paypal payment note, thanks.

Event History

For some members who have no idea what the TexasMac ride is here are some details, Texasmac was a member here who was from *you guessed it* Texas who met Baileyrock and some others for a ride into the Tennesse/North Carolina Smoky mountains to ride the famous Deals Gap. He passed away in a bizarre accident when his bike went off the road and ended up on top of him. He was the first member at VFRD to pass away - it was a shock to many of us, and to those who where with him they decided to honor him with an annual ride to the same spot of the accident, where there is a cross placed in his name. Baileyrock has taken it upon himself to organize this event for the last seven years and each year it gets bigger and better, always with safety in mind so that what happened to Texasmac doesn't happen to another member.

BTW the picture at the top of this thread is the actual Cross Raising for TexasMac Event of April, 2004 which is what the T-Mac anniversary is based on. Bruce Williams aka TexasMac was Lost Dec. 27th, 2003 riding with Baileyrock(Kevin) and Hot Rodder(Ray).

Note:

I was told that some newer riders have some worries about not being a good enough rider to attend this event and I want to dispel that fear. We will have at least one(more if needed) beginner/new rider group with a qualified (for this group) Leader who will maintain a Scenic/Relaxed pace that the entire group can easily maintain. These groups will also run shorter routes so that's there's no pressure to keep up with the entire event and also to prevent fatigue from setting in.

Every group will have both a Lead rider and a Sweeper who tags along behind their group to make sure no one gets lost or left behind and will be there (first to scene) if there's a problem.

Please PM me with any concerns or needs.

On the other side of that, there will also be some faster Paced groups for experienced riders and everything in between. We'll most likely have Scenic/Relaxed/ Int. groups.

Thanks!

No refunds after April 15th.

BR

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Room booked, Registered, and T-Shirts ordered....... :fing02: :beer:

Sweet!!!! Can't wait to see you guys again! Booked my room today too so I will have a second floor room. :)

• Member Contributer

I am very excited about having the dates so early, I have requested the time off from work and will seee you all in may!!

• Member Contributer

I'm in, gona take the whole week off, but might have to work the weekend so that that means working and riding back to the hotel. Still have to be there. Got my same room YEAH WHO !~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've reserved a room at the Franklin, starting on Mon 16th thru Sat night, and will be sharing it with Dweese for how ever many days he'll be there. Will sign up to reg. later.

If any one wants to ride in the earlier part of the week, starting Tue., I'd be glad to ride with you?

• Member Contributer

Oh man I'm all set! Reservations made, tickets bought! This will be my 1st trip on the bike over 2hrs long so I'm all geeked out and excited! Guess I need to go ahead and pull the trigger on the mount and topcase for the bike so I'll have somewhere to store my stuff.. :smile:

• Member Contributer

Reserved room for Thursday,Friday and Sat.

Have Vacation request in for appoval.

I'll register after year end bills are paid (ugh)

Probably leave Chas. Wed after work and make it to aound Greenville or Pickens.

If anyone is passsing thru Charleston you are welcome to stay at my house, comming or going.

Look foward to seeing everyone again.

( I have plenty of black and white T's, any chance for a long sleeve color T Mac shirt ? I vote fo gold) LOL!

See ya. :beer:

• Member Contributer

I've reserved a room at the Franklin, starting on Mon 16th thru Sat night, and will be sharing it with Dweese for how ever many days he'll be there. Will sign up to reg. later.

If any one wants to ride in the earlier part of the week, starting Tue., I'd be glad to ride with you?

Cool thanks Monk, I'll should be in town Tuseday afternoon sometime.

I'm riding in again this year down I81 to I77 than BRP the rest of the way if anyone wants to tag along.

• Member Contributer

This sounds like a great event! Anyone from the Ohio area planning on going that I could tag along with?

This sounds like a great event! Anyone from the Ohio area planning on going that I could tag along with?

Howdy, hope you can make it down! There's usually several groupsd coming in from the north and a few Ohio guys if I remember correctly. Keep your eye on this thread and post up your own thread asking for members from your area planning to attend! :fing02:

BR

• Member Contributer

I'm really excited about this! I had a blast at my first TMac last year! :cheerleader:

I injured my knee snow skiing last week, torn meniscus, and I'm TDY to Hill AFB right now in Utah so I can't have the surgery to repair it until I get back to Georgia in February. But from what I've read about the injury and surgery I should be back to 100% by TMac.

I had my first crash on the Dragon back in October and haven't really had much chance to do any serious riding since then and now I can't ride at all with the bad knee. (I can't fully extend it or bend it, but I can limp on it with no real pain) I hope I have enough time to get back into my usual not really quite halfway decent riding form by then as opposed to a super crappy, no saddle time, crash thoughts in the back of my head riding form. :fing02:

I'm coming to this one. Been to a couple of VFRD events with Kevin (billyjackjimbob). Last one at Franklin I attended we froze! Kevin hosted one here in KY and I took pictures on Pine mountain.

Registered, but no room yet.

Kenny

• Member Contributer

No school for me this semester so I might try to make this one?

If anyone is passing through New Mexico with a trailer PM me if you have room for one more! I have a truck/gas money and don't mind doing my share of the driving. No...I don't want to slab my VFR down there and back because that would be more time than I can afford to take off. :mellow:

Now I just have to start working on the wife.... :goofy:

I will register/reserve a room once I get both permission and a confirmed ride down. :fing02:

No school for me this semester so I might try to make this one?

If anyone is passing through New Mexico with a trailer PM me if you have room for one more

Would love to have ya!

Just ride out from CO with HS! :fing02:

BR

Alright...I'm thinking about going!

Any of my Northern Peeps gonna join me?

BMV? Riv? Ox? Ken? Grond? Dude? Pgreen?

I'm in, just haven't hammered out the details. I hope to talk to Trav here shortly and see where he stands. It'd be great to see you again! Let's do it.

Archived