So will The CrossRunner be VFRD worthy  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Should the V4 CrossRunner be a Regular on VFRD

• Yes
    • No
    • Need more info
    • Let HS decide

• Member Contributer

[The VFR800 had a good run, but now there are new 2007s rotting in showrooms. There isn't much of a market for that style of bike anymore...

I disagree. An updated 800 with a bit less weight, a bit more HP and torque, better suspension and brakes (which can be borrowed from other models and even the VFR1200) and updated ergonomics (perhaps a tad more upright?) could still sell very well. Look what Kawasaki is doing with the Z1000SX

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/videos/2010/november/nov0310-video-2011-kawasaki-z1000sx/

This is a bike in the mould of the VFR800 VTEC. A powerful, comfortable GT/all purpose sportsbike. Initial impressions are very good, this bike should appeal to sportsbike riders who still appreciate performance but want comfort as well.

The Crossrunner concept is sound though. I just don't like the styling though but that may change when I see it in the flesh...

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

It looks like a direct competitor to their Trans Alp. Aimed at older riders looking for a comfortable good commuter & touring bike. Alloy wheels indicate it is intended for good roads - just like the Trans Alp. Aimed at Europe.

The BMW800 is a real DS bike (but has pitiful front forks for that application) which is also suitable for this commuting/touring market as well.

Hard to tell exactly from the pix, but it looks like the rider footpegs on the CrossRunner are in the same place as the 6th gen VFR's. Tubular handlebar will definitely have you sitting more upright, but I'm guessing you'll still have good cornering clearance.

I've read thru most of this thread but haven't seen any indication whether Honda will offer matching hardbags for the CrossRunner. :huh: Can't imagine any company would offer this style of bike without matching bags.

• Member Contributer

I've read thru most of this thread but haven't seen any indication whether Honda will offer matching hardbags for the CrossRunner. :huh: Can't imagine any company would offer this style of bike without matching bags.

I'm too lazy right now to go through the whole thread again, but I did see somewhere that Honda said they would be offering matching bags, among other accessories, such as a taller windscreen.

• Member Contributer

Just thinking out loud -

I am taking a long look at this bike and wonder how it will match up with a GS800, the new 800 Tigers and the bigger Multistrada. Cannot wait for the review and comparisons. After some two years on a KLR with modest (and I mean very modest off road, crap, dirt road) dirty stuff I wonder about the whole proposition of venturing off road with even the most adventuresome of 800s(GS and new Triumph XC) let alone the even bigger 1200GS, Crosstourer and Super Tenere halftracks.

None of the Crossrunners initial marketing themes even mention "off road" and I think that is appropriate. Even though the new Multistrada has an "Enduro" mapping and suspension" modes, I note that they have added a new accessory this year. They euphemistically call it an "Engine Lug." Quote "The Engine lug made with aluminum tubes, further protects the engine from any shock when using the bike of bumpy surfaces".

Just maybe they are talking about shocks like this................

2909889220099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

If the Crossrunner's paint is as good as the new VFR1200s there will be a lot of crying.....no matter the accessory "Crash Bars".

So I am at ease with Honda's conservative street aim point, cast 17 inch wheels and the moderate improvement in suspension travel over the VFR. And it may even be able to handle a manicured dirt road just fine.

They sure are pretty though...

2621650420099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

110210-2011-honda-crossrunner-05.jpg

I tell ya, the more I look at the CrossRunner, the more I like it. I'm not saying I'd rush out and buy one, but I love my 6th gen, and since this is basically the same bike... :idea3:

:laugh:

Well, maybe in a few more years. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

So, IMHO...

UP:

Lighter

Slightly more suspension

Upright ergos

DOWN:

Poser styling

Side radiators

Still gotta drill plastic to install Radar's sliders

Cast handlebars (I think)

Things I need to see before I start seriously considering a purchase:

1] How does the new bodywork work on the old frame? You can see a capped mounting hole for the 6th Gen fairing in the side views - what else?

2] How much?

That said, I think I like it. I will be checking to see if Honda will be bringing it to the MMIC show in Toronto. Then I want a test ride.

Glenn

• Member Contributer

I'm too lazy right now to go through the whole thread again, but I did see somewhere that Honda said they would be offering matching bags, among other accessories, such as a taller windscreen.

Yeah, pics are out already...

honda-nt-700-v-deauville-ld1.jpg

Oh wait, that's Honda's other sit up comfy 700cc street do it all bike.

How many do you think they'll be coming out with?? Personally I'd like to see 4 or 5 different variations of the same class of bike before they even think of a 750cc V4 sport bike.

:rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Hell No! That thing is ugly and not even in a cool GS1200 sort of way. Hondas designers are smoking crack. Is there a motorcycle in all that chaotic plastic somewhere. Cause if there is I don't want to ride it. Okay maybe I'm just grumpy but I'm sick of Hondas style as of late.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, pics are out already...

(Picture of NT700V snipped)

Oh wait, that's Honda's other sit up comfy 700cc street do it all bike.

How many do you think they'll be coming out with?? Personally I'd like to see 4 or 5 different variations of the same class of bike before they even think of a 750cc V4 sport bike.

Got one. It's pretty good for my purposes, highly practical. The suspension travel is a bit on the short side for around here. I'm going to put cartridge emulators in it this winter, and see if that improves the front end any. Also I bet the Crossrunner and the Crosstourer are both way more exciting when you roll on the throttle. The Crossrunner has a chain, though, so it's not going to push the NT out of my garage anytime soon. The Crosstourer, though... the more I look at it the more I want it, even though it seems crazy to want another new bike so soon. Am I turning into Skuuter?

Am I turning into Skuuter?

Jeez, I hope not. One Skuuter in the world is enough, right? :tongue: Just kidding, David! You're a class act, buddy. :fing02:

The CrossRunner looks to me like a 6th gen that is a bit more comfortable and more versatile with the adventure bike tires. Of course they aren't for off-road riding, but with those tires and the more upright seating position, gravel roads wouldn't be as scary as they are on my 6th gen, which I've done a few times. :blink:

• Member Contributer

Am I turning into Skuuter?

a day-glo Elizila? PLEASE NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

but you just keep buying/changing bikes and post up ok? :cheerleader:

But I believe the new Duc cruiser is coming out at EICMA too.

The Diavel? Although there are a few pics allready floating on the net it will have it's first official appearance at EICMA in Milan, after all it's an Italian bike.

diavel_spy_set3_01.jpg

Harley? V-Max? Duc? What?

" ... It was a dark and stormy night ...."

yes but for less money you could have this 800 moto

BMW_F800GS_ADVENTURE_BAGS.JPG

Fook the beemer, Triumph for the win :bliss:

tiger800.png

I'd say the Triumph 800 has the right size/approach and narrow engine design for the off-road dual-sport

... but it would be a bummer if you only get spare parts in England or India. :^)

Sorry! Couldn't pass it up, guys!

I'm a street-sport rider, always will be, but there is something to be said for the latest crop of street-adventure-tourers. Since sporty sport-tourers like the VFR have all but disappeared, the role has been taken up by these new style upright machines. And they do the job just fine: comfy, fast, practical, and depending on your point of view, stylish.

Look for my blog on Dealernews that delves into this issue! Ok, no more plugs...

Getting back to the bikes for a second, i know that i'm not going to take a KTM over Africa's deserts, but i do like the simple and practical style of these new all-rounders, and my money is probably going to end up on the Tiger 800 or the Crossrunner (if they bring it here....)

Not having read this whole thread, I'll risk the question:

Is this engine the same as the one in the VFR800?

I believe the VFR800 was 781cc and from what I have read, the new bike has 782cc. Is this true?

Accounting error or has something changed?

BTW, I'm not the least bit interested in this bike. Too many reasons to list here.

• Member Contributer

I believe the VFR800 was 781cc and from what I have read, the new bike has 782cc. ....

I was gunna say - "Cool - where can I get a 782cc big-bore kit for my 5th Gen?" :goofy:

... when my wife said ... "you are a big-bore for your motorcycle!" :blush:

... she's lucky I dig her!

• Member Contributer

Got one. It's pretty good for my purposes, highly practical. The suspension travel is a bit on the short side for around here. I'm going to put cartridge emulators in it this winter, and see if that improves the front end any. Also I bet the Crossrunner and the Crosstourer are both way more exciting when you roll on the throttle. The Crossrunner has a chain, though, so it's not going to push the NT out of my garage anytime soon. The Crosstourer, though... the more I look at it the more I want it, even though it seems crazy to want another new bike so soon. Am I turning into Skuuter?

Assuming they're both going to be priced very similarly, if you walked in to a Honda dealer which would you pick? Is the shaft drive enough to make up for the extra 'excitement'? I'm wondering if Honda will ever sell another NT700? Is the Crossrunner a replacement for the NT? Where's our light weight chain driven 1000cc VFR sport tourer? :lobby:

Shoot looking at it looks like a vtec with a new rear end, tank and dash, swap parts with vtec and build your own

and this leads me to another question:

Who will be the first guy on Killboy with a Veefalo sporting spoked wheels?

• Member Contributer

Assuming they're both going to be priced very similarly, if you walked in to a Honda dealer which would you pick? Is the shaft drive enough to make up for the extra 'excitement'? I'm wondering if Honda will ever sell another NT700? Is the Crossrunner a replacement for the NT? Where's our light weight chain driven 1000cc VFR sport tourer? :lobby:

Picking a NT or Crossrunner may depend on the how the bags look/work on the CR. Honda says they are aero so maybe the AL adventure type bags pictured on the first post are out or were never in! I think the NT still has a place for some. Good tour bike if you do not want to lug a really big bike.

Honda seems to be spending $$$ on the 1200 V4 now and now the Vtec seems to be getting some development money (life support maybe). The ST 1300 V4 is still out there for a while maybe maybe dunno??

So no money for a 1000cc V4 till the MotoGP 990 V4 rolls. I want the replica...like the Duc. Maybe the liter V4 will be rolled out the same year as MotoGP ups the ante and when the Blade gets updated next.

• Member Contributer

Interesting thing: I went looking at Honda Canada's website today and couldn't find the NT700 listed at all. I never looked before, though, so does anybody know if it was offered up here?

Glenn

• Member Contributer

There's a short preview here in MCNEWS that's worth a quick read.

I'm actually starting to warm to the idea of this bike. Even with the strange stickyupy insect antenna-like handle bars and the road only orientation!

My only problem is the question of - why would I keep my 5th Gen when the CrossRunner is more than likely the bike I'd choose for just about any ride? ... and I really want to keep my 5th Gen! :mellow:

Archived