BonusVFR

So will The CrossRunner be VFRD worthy  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Should the V4 CrossRunner be a Regular on VFRD

• Yes
    • No
    • Need more info
    • Let HS decide

I think this is a smart, real world bike. It is not the Honda Sport-Bike company, it is Honda Motors.

+1000

Why does everyone here expect every new Honda motorcycle to be a cutting-edge superbike that weighs 400lbs wet and makes 180hp? There is a market for smart bikes like this, especially in Europe and Asia where people use motorcycles as transportation, not toys.

The VFR800 had a good run, but now there are new 2007s rotting in showrooms. There isn't much of a market for that style of bike anymore. Something like this is the perfect evolution. All the V4 character and chassis perfection of the VFR800 but with modern styling and a comfy upright riding position.

Who else offers a bike like this? Honda has "lost the plot?" Piss off.

If Ducati announced that they would build a hypermotard with a 100hp liquid ocoled V4 and combined ABS everyone would be fawning over it. Isn't that pretty close to what Honda have given us here.... but with Honda reliability and build quality?

Let's also remember that Honda is the only moto company that publishes a "full of fuel and fluids, ready to ride" curb weight. Everyone else is still pushing their ridiculous "dry weight". If this were any other make they would be claiming a 470lb dry weight and nobody would have a problem with it. So Honda gets crapped on for being honest and realistic. 528lbs isn't bad for a bike like this. It won't be a problem I'm sure.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I voted "yes" b/c I think the new CrossRunner is basically a 6th gen with new skin.

+1.gif

And some new bits.

I let it soak in a bit.

I think it's a smart move by Honda and voted yes too.

People will want to come here seeking answers and will bring further knowledge.

Not to mention more parts in the whole mix of things.

Wonder if that pipe will fit some other bikes, or those fancy fork guards?

It begs peg removal and high mount.

Would they be stainless headers?

I'd like to feel the ergos.

Not so scared of the vtec these days, right BR??

What I don't like about it is that whole plastic section on the lower part of the radiator.

That thick fairing piece could have been tidier.

I can see it now:

Hi VFRD, got a new crossrunner, runs great however the other day my clock reset and sometimes on cold mornings....

Crossrunner, sounds like a sneaker.

Hmmmm, a toro-sneaker.

Ok now my mind is running off...

Does anyone know if it has the same gear ratios as the 6thGen?

• Member Contributer

I'm with phobe on this. I think it looks fantastic and I want one. If Honda brings it here, it could push the TDM out of my garage.

OTOH, if Honda brings us the Crosstour, I might become a one-bike kind of rider for the first time in years. Imagine getting down to one bike! Wow. Or I could take my multiple-bike disorder in a completely new direction, get a scooter to race, maybe a real dirtbike... What a fantastic future it could be. Please please Honda, bring us that Crosstour! :)

I think this is a smart, real world bike. It is not the Honda Sport-Bike company, it is Honda Motors.

+1000

Why does everyone here expect every new Honda motorcycle to be a cutting-edge superbike that weighs 400lbs wet and makes 180hp? There is a market for smart bikes like this, especially in Europe and Asia where people use motorcycles as transportation, not toys.

The VFR800 had a good run, but now there are new 2007s rotting in showrooms. There isn't much of a market for that style of bike anymore. Something like this is the perfect evolution. All the V4 character and chassis perfection of the VFR800 but with modern styling and a comfy upright riding position.

Who else offers a bike like this? Honda has "lost the plot?" Piss off.

If Ducati announced that they would build a hypermotard with a 100hp liquid ocoled V4 and combined ABS everyone would be fawning over it. Isn't that pretty close to what Honda have given us here.... but with Honda reliability and build quality?

Let's also remember that Honda is the only moto company that publishes a "full of fuel and fluids, ready to ride" curb weight. Everyone else is still pushing their ridiculous "dry weight". If this were any other make they would be claiming a 470lb dry weight and nobody would have a problem with it. So Honda gets crapped on for being honest and realistic. 528lbs isn't bad for a bike like this. It won't be a problem I'm sure.

Guys, guys, guys ..... you're still missing the point!

We don't want *just* a 400lb VFR with great, adjustable suspension.... we want BOTH bikes! The VFR1200 is a GREAT next-gen uber-sport tourer ... but it is too heavy and got stuck w/ limited range because Honda didn't want to cross the 600 lb barrier. The Crossover will probably be a GREAT do-all bike but still has the limitations of weight and average, non-adjustable suspension.

And the reason that there are a bunch of 2007s sitting in the showrooms? Because a very large number of us riders didn't want the added complexity/cost/weigh of the V-TEC valve train, or the extra 40 lbs, or the STILL non-adjustable suspension from the late 90s. That's why you see so many riders trying to do the franken-forks upgrade on their Viffers.

Even if Honda had simply put the CBR1000R forks, shocks, brakes, and lighter wheels on the current VFR800 .... I would be down there this afternoon BUYING it.

But until then, I will be riding my '99 VFR800 until the wheels fall off.

The sentiment is not AGAINST the new models ... but FRUSTRATION with Honda on just falling short on the VFR 800 line of bikes.

Cheers, E-Ticket

Yes, some folks would like to have a bike that weighs less than a quarter ton with enought hp to make it fun along with comfortable ergonomics. Oh wait, that's the new Triumph Tiger 800.

Honda could have sent us the Transalp or the Varadaro and seen some increased sales. The Crossrunner will probably end up like the VFR; a nice bike but a dealer will be fortunate to sell one a year.

When will Honda MOTOR company get it's head out of the warm dark spot it's been in for the past few years? The last real new sucess Honda had was the '07 CBR600RR and it like the VFR has been offered with "exciting new graphics" for the past three years ( and will continue into '11). The CBR1000RR was raved about by the moto journalist but ended up being sold at a huge discount, some as low as 7K. I don't think DN-01's and NT700's are leaping off the show room floors. I love the quality of Honda products I have owned over the years but unless they find something that will appeal to more than die hard Honda fans, they will be at the back of the sales pack. and that's not good.

• Member Contributer

Guys, guys, guys ..... you're still missing the point!

We don't want *just* a 400lb VFR with great, adjustable suspension.... we want BOTH bikes! The VFR1200 is a GREAT next-gen uber-sport tourer ... but it is too heavy and got stuck w/ limited range because Honda didn't want to cross the 600 lb barrier. The Crossover will probably be a GREAT do-all bike but still has the limitations of weight and average, non-adjustable suspension.

This.

I like the new bikes, the Crosstourer especially. But it's long past time for a Honda V4 supersport line. A 600cc version properly executed would turn the middleweight racing world upside down. And maybe they're working on it. They did say that there would be a whole line of V4-powered bikes. And the 2012 model year would be the time for a 30th anniversary Interceptor...

• Member Contributer

Honda's V4 should be like Truimph's Triple or Ducati's Desmo, or BMW's Boxer - It should be their identity, their differentiator, the thing that makes them different.

It's a great powerplant, they have the technology, they just need to exploit it!

JMHO....

Even if Honda had simply put the CBR1000R forks, shocks, brakes, and lighter wheels on the current VFR800 .... I would be down there this afternoon BUYING it.

But until then, I will be riding my '99 VFR800 until the wheels fall off.

While I don't doubt that would make for a great bike, I do doubt that it would sell on a scale big enough to make it worthwhile for Honda to build.

Other than a handful of VFR loyalists and fanatics, who else would choose that bike over the CBR1000RR next to it in the Honda showroom when it has more weight, a lot less power, and costs more? It just can't make sense for Honda to build something like that. Unless Honda decided to make the VFR a true sportbike (which they won't, because it would compete directly with the CBR line) it makes more sense for them to go in the opposite direction, and turn it into a great street bike in its own niche. Like the Crossrunner. :)

Honda's V4 should be like Truimph's Triple or Ducati's Desmo, or BMW's Boxer - It should be their identity, their differentiator, the thing that makes them different.

It's a great powerplant, they have the technology, they just need to exploit it!

JMHO....

That is exactly what they are doing with their new products!

• Member Contributer

JMHO....

And bring them to the United States :beatdeadhorse: I know, I know, I'm asking for waaaay to much there...

• Member Contributer

Crossrunner Spec list by Honda:

ENGINE

Type Liquid-cooled 4-stroke 16-valve DOHC 90° V-4

Displacement 782cm3

Bore x Stroke 72 x 48mm

Compression Ratio 11.6 : 1

Max. Power Output 74.9kW/10,000min-1 (95/1/EC)

Max. Torque 72.8Nm/9,500min-1 (95/1/EC)

Idling Speed 1,200min-1

Oil Capacity 3.8 litres

FUEL SYSTEM

Carburation PGM-FI electronic fuel injection

Throttle Bore 36mm

Aircleaner Oil-permeated, cartridge-type paper filter

Fuel Tank Capacity 21.5 litres

ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Ignition System Computer-controlled digital transistorised with electronic advance

Ignition Timing 8° BTDC (idle) ~ 50° BTDC (1,200min-1)

Sparkplug Type IMR9D-9H (NGK); VNH27Z (DENSO)

Starter Electric

Battery Capacity 12V/11AH (YTZ-12S)

ACG Output 386W

Headlights 12V; 55W x 1 (low) / 55W x 1 (high)

DRIVETRAIN

Clutch Wet, multi-plate with coil springs

Clutch Operation Hydraulic

Transmission Type Constant mesh 6-speed

Primary Reduction 1.934 (64/33)

Gear Ratios

1 2.846 (37/13)

2 2.062 (33/16)

3 1.578 (30/19)

4 1.291 (31/24)

5 1.111 (30/27)

6 0.965 (28/29)

Final Reduction 2.687 (43/16)

Final Drive O-ring sealed chain

FRAME

Type Diamond; aluminium twin-spar; pivotless

CHASSIS

Dimensions (L x W x H) 2,130 x 799 x 1,243mm

Wheelbase 1,464mm

Caster Angle 25° 45'

Trail 96mm

Turning Radius 2.8m

Seat Height 816mm

Ground Clearance 140mm

Kerb Weight 240.4kg (F: 115.2kg; R: 125.2kg)

SUSPENSION

Type Front: 43mm cartridge-type telescopic fork with stepless preload adjustment, 165mm axle travel

Rear: Pro-Link with gas-charged HMAS damper, 7-step preload and stepless rebound damping adjustment, 145mm axle travel

WHEELS

Type

Front: 6-spoke cast aluminium

Rear: 5-spoke cast aluminium

Rim Size

Front: 17M/C x MT3.50

Rear: 17M/C x MT5.50

Tyre Size

Front: 120/70 R17

Rear: 180/55 R17

Tyre Pressure

Front: 225kPa

Rear: 250kPa

BRAKES

Type Front: 296mm dual floating hydraulic disc with 3-piston calipers, C-ABC and sintered metal pads

Rear: 256mm hydraulic disc with 2-piston caliper, C-ABS and sintered metal pads

More info on all new 2011 bikes at http://hondamc2011.com/

Interesting but it looks like the suspension travel is about what a 5th or 6th gen has.

Not according to Honda, see above.

Thanks for posting this up .......not sure where my source, BikeHolic, got their specs. I went back this morning and BH has not changed the travel YET.

More suspension.travel is good as far as I am concerned and improves the breed and makes the bike more versatile.

• Member Contributer

VFRD

For owners of the Honda Interceptor

but Crossdressersrunners are welcome too in the nuthouse I guess :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

VFRD

For owners of the Honda Interceptor

but Crossdressersrunners are welcome too in the nuthouse I guess :laughing6-hehe:

Does "I guess" mean YES??

• Member Contributer

I like the concept of a crossover bike, I have a crossover car, a Hyundai ix35 (Euro speak for new generation Tucson), which I love to bits. I just don't like the styling of the Crossover. The bodywork seems bolted-on, and it seems like it is placed too high. The screen seems too small, though I realize this can be changed. But the biggest visual offender for me is the handlebar: it is covered in plastics, just like a scooter's or a Goldwing's which looks really really weird to me. Am I the only one who thinks like this?

On the other hand I really like the Crosstourer concept which is a VFR1200 in off-road drag, although I believe it will be at least as useless off-road as the 800 version. The styling of that bike seems much more coherent to me.

I like the concept of a crossover bike, I have a crossover car, a Hyundai ix35 (Euro speak for new generation Tucson), which I love to bits. I just don't like the styling of the Crossover. The bodywork seems bolted-on, and it seems like it is placed too high. The screen seems too small, though I realize this can be changed. But the biggest visual offender for me is the handlebar: it is covered in plastics, just like a scooter's or a Goldwing's which looks really really weird to me. Am I the only one who thinks like this? On the other hand I really like the Crosstourer concept which is a VFR1200 in off-road drag, although I believe it will be at least as useless off-road as the 800 version. The styling of that bike seems much more coherent to me.

Nope, me too. Their target audience is probably frustrated FJ and Connie owners who are already used to having roto-tiller handlebars. <g>

• Member Contributer

I don't like all the crazy angles and layers of the bodywork. :blink:

I don't so much mind the bodywork or the shape in general - it's the floppy-bunny-ear handle bars that seem to stick up too far that I'll have to get used to :mellow:

gallery_19264_5124_7223.jpg

crosser.jpg

gallery_19264_5124_3656.jpg

giant-rabbit.jpg

I don't like all the crazy angles and layers of the bodywork. :blink:

I don't so much mind the bodywork or the shape in general - it's the floppy-bunny-ear handle bars that seem to stick up too far that I'll have to get used to :mellow:

gallery_19264_5124_3628.jpg

giant-rabbit.jpg

ROFL...! Great pic!

JMHO....

Yep, that's what I heard, by yearend 2011 there's going to be a V4 cruiser (new Magna), a V4 jetski, lawnmower, blender and snow blower. ohyeah....

• Member Contributer

Technically, this is a VFR-based website, so it'd be weird to discuss issues relating to these non-VFR bikes. Do we discuss issues relating to hawks, hornets, deuvilles, etc.? I'm sure there'll be Crosstour/Crossrunner-specific websites. In the end, as long as it's a motorbike, I really don't care. Just opining.

• Member Contributer

Technically, this is a VFR-based website, so it'd be weird to discuss issues relating to these non-VFR bikes. Do we discuss issues relating to hawks, hornets, deuvilles, etc.? I'm sure there'll be Crosstour/Crossrunner-specific websites. In the end, as long as it's a motorbike, I really don't care. Just opining.

Well one is based on the VFR800 and the other on the VFR1200. So they really are 'VFR bikes' they just don't carry the moniker in the marketing materials. Besides, HS already set up a spot in the Forums section for them.

Won't matter to us in the U.S. anyway as we'll likely never see them, but our brethren in Europe may be able to benefit from the wisdom here about the bikes their new bikes are based on.

Archived