So will The CrossRunner be VFRD worthy  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Should the V4 CrossRunner be a Regular on VFRD

• Yes
    • No
    • Need more info
    • Let HS decide

• Member Contributer

While we have bike shows here in the US not sure we really have new bike world introductions at our US shows.

I think the Fury had it's world debut at a US show and surely HD will show off it's new colours first at a US bike show, or not? :happy:

From what I read dual sports are not very popular in The States, here a dual sport is the best selling bike (BMW 1200 GS). Also cruisers are not as popular here as they are in the US but I don't know if the jap cruisers manufactuurers let their cruisers EICMA The US is a totally different market. I guess the best selling bike in the US is a cruiser, here a HD is always high up on the lop ten list of most sold bikes but it's just one model, all teh others are dual sport and sport bikes.

I've never been to EICMA, would sure like to go check it out sometime. The show I did a write up on here on VFRD was considered quite large by some members here, but it is in fact quit small when looking at the other European shows. Motorbeurs attracts about 100K visitors but EICMA attracts 400K visitors. But EICMA it's not only motorcycles but also bicycles so say half of that visits the motorcycle show. How many vistors does a US show attract on average, maybe that has something to do with it too.

I used to go to the European shows every year. A (late) friend ran a motorcycle forum for many years and had managed to convince people that he was therefore a "publisher"... :biggrin: (RIP, Dave.) As a result, I had business cards and free admittance on Press Day. Which usually meant running around to each stand as fast as possible before the press packs ran out... It was fun at the time, but eventually got a bit old--especially as I became less interested in buying new bikes.

EICMA, aka the Milan show, used to alternate with INTERMOT, aka the Cologne (later Munich) show, as the "premier" motorcycle-related show in Europe. Most new bikes were introduced to the press and public at these one of these two shows. To a much lesser extent, the motorcycle shows in Tokyo, Paris, Bologna and the NEC (in the UK) would sometimes be used for that purpose--maybe for one additional model.

I suppose Harley might introduce its "new" models at one of the US shows...but I've never noticed!

Ciao,

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I suppose Harley might introduce its "new" models at one of the US shows...but I've never noticed!

Ciao,

Yeah, I believe the latest and greatest is "SuperLow"............... low profile tyres...

• Member Contributer

About the only Harley I ever followed re the intros was the "Buell Ulysses" which is sort of the same genre as the "possible" 800 Honda V4 adv bike, the old and new Multistradas, Tigers, the big KTMs and the GS machines. I did like riding the ULY even if it did shake a bit at idle...ok a lot. One of these days I might be looking a regular Harley but I have a Wing for now.

Every thing about the ULY was high tech except for ...........well you know.

2008-buell-ulysses-xb12x-2_800x0w.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'd really be surprised if anyone who bought one of these things really expected to go off-road Dakar style ... but I grant you there's numb-skulls out there who might tho! :mellow:

But anyway, mates of mine who've owned these Dual Sports things (BMWs, KTMs, Ducs, Hondas, Trumpys) love 'em because of the many crap (and I mean crap) roads that we have in Oz that have now become available to them for touring. I want one so I can go with!

That's why I like them. Good for touring in potholed parts of the world. The crap roads are in my very neighborhood, too; that long travel suspension is good just riding around town for my regular routine. And I don't think there's a twisty road with smooth pavement, within 200 miles of my house, but a bike like this makes bumpy twisties fun.

Sure, for true offroad, you need a lighter machine. But for the 200 miles of straight bumpy roads between here and where the world gets interesting, the larger machine is nicer. And I'd rather have this, than a smaller dirtbike and a trailer. I hate trailering.

• Member Contributer

Ditto...I am not against trailering/pick up but prefer to take the bike if the situation allows. These kind of bikes give you some flexibility. :cheerleader:

But anyway, mates of mine who've owned these Dual Sports things (BMWs, KTMs, Ducs, Hondas, Trumpys) love 'em because of the many crap (and I mean crap) roads that we have in Oz that have now become available to them for touring. I want one so I can go with!

Here the off road tracks are better than most paved roads because of the amount of speed bumps in the urban area's. Maybe that's why dual sports & SUVs are doing so well :happy:

What's up with every new adventure bike having a duck bill (e.g., Multi, VFR1200ST, etc.)? How about an original design?

Blame it all on "DR BIG"!!......

1988_DR-Big_A2_8002.jpg

....Suzuki, that is......, the first "Duckbill" of this type.

Have you guys forgotten this"beauty"?? :happy:

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

What's up with every new adventure bike having a duck bill (e.g., Multi, VFR1200ST, etc.)? How about an original design?

While I reckon looks aren't necessarily important in this category - I'm hoping the new Honda DS will look more like this :wink:

gallery_19264_5124_25898.jpg

• Member Contributer

1988_DR-Big_A2_8002.jpg

Beck

95 VFR

Looks kinda cool!

• Member Contributer

1988_DR-Big_A2_8002.jpg

Beck

95 VFR

Nope, saw one this summer....... it was kinda rusted, but good to see they still exist.....

I dunno, but a V4 on an Adventure bike chassis do not seem to compute too well as many already think that the BMW GS is "overmotored" as it is with it's big twin. What benefit will a heavy V4 provide on this chassis? I'd rather see Honda do something with the big V-twin that was on the RC51/VTR1000.and put that on an adventure bike chassis. This "SUV/Crossover" concept for a bike just sounds gooffier the more I think about it.

Beck

95 VFR.

• Member Contributer

I'm seeing a VFR800 motor and frame in that sketch.

Yep, makes sense that Honda would try to use as much existing VTEC parts as possible. If that sketch is from them, I'm guessing this bike is just going to be a adventurized sixth gen. WEIRD.

• Member Contributer

It seems to me that this bike will be aimed more at the Triumph Tiger and V-strom type of bike, not the more off road GS series. If that picture is anything to go off, it looks like a more comfortable and versatile update on the VFR800.

• Member Contributer

It seems to me that this bike will be aimed more at the Triumph Tiger and V-strom type of bike, not the more off road GS series. If that picture is anything to go off, it looks like a more comfortable and versatile update on the VFR800.

Yep - and that's right in my wheelhouse! Of course, we'll probably never see it here in The States, but...

• Member Contributer

More conjecture from Visordown.com

"It's anticipated the new machine will mimic the styling cues set by the VFR1200F, Fireblade and CBR250R, revealed earlier today on Visordown.

Expect the new Honda to use a smaller, 800cc version of the VFR1200's engine, along with dual purpose styling, traction control and engine mapping."

Smaller Version of the 1200??????????????????????????? instead of retooled/remapped/reVtec of the 6th Gen motor...wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

"It's anticipated the new machine will mimic the styling cues set by the VFR1200F, Fireblade and CBR250R, revealed earlier today on Visordown.

Expect the new Honda to use a smaller, 800cc version of the VFR1200's engine, along with dual purpose styling, traction control and engine mapping."

Smaller Version of the 1200??????????????????????????? instead of retooled/remapped/reVtec of the 6th Gen motor...wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Judging by the pic, I highly doubt they're not going to use some version(if not the exact same motor) of the 6th gen motor. It ain't broke, its paid for, so why fix it?

• Member Contributer

Judging by the pic, I highly doubt they're not going to use some version(if not the exact same motor) of the 6th gen motor. It ain't broke, its paid for, so why fix it?

That was my gut feeling too but but but ...we will see in 4 days or so.

• Member Contributer

Getting closer maybe...............................to the real deal or what is realeased.

vfr800x.jpg

Ok, in all fairness, this looks way better than the cheesy photochop that was posted earlier. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I am beginning to think that this potential VFRD worthy craft may be a lower power competitor to this.

2468442420099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

And I really enjoyed riding the new Strada. For me,100 horses is about right/enough but then again I have not ridden a 1200 VFR.

• Member Contributer

And to answer your question - okay it's not an interceptor but I think it should qualify you for VFRD membership - it's a honda V4 after all!

Can we now assume that if our fearless leader, the Grand Pooh-bah, His Majesty, Sir Hispanic Slammer has featured one of the mock shots of the new Honda V4 adventure-styled bike on our Home Page that yes the new bike will be VFRD worthy? :happy:

• Member Contributer

105-115 horses are enough for me, especially if it's lighter than the 6th gen Viffer. If it comes to the states, I will be an early adopter on this one. Hell, it's what I've been trying to do to my VFR since I got it: Helibars, Lower pegs, etc...

I don't care about going off-road, just want to be able to cruise in comfort the 400 miles to decent twisties and then still enjoy said twisties. Be great if I could do it with a V4!

And I hope it's VFRD worthy....I like it around here :fing02:

• Member Contributer

And to answer your question - okay it's not an interceptor but I think it should qualify you for VFRD membership - it's a honda V4 after all!

Can we now assume that if our fearless leader, the Grand Pooh-bah, His Majesty, Sir Hispanic Slammer has featured one of the mock shots of the new Honda V4 adventure-styled bike on our Home Page that yes the new bike will be VFRD worthy? :happy:

When the darn thing is uncovered next week.....maybe we need a poll???

Now how do you do a poll?

My thinking at this point to my original question is - Yes this critter is VFRD worthy and maybe we will add the VFR1200T to the mix tooooooooooooooooooooo :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

105-115 horses are enough for me, especially if it's lighter than the 6th gen Viffer. If it comes to the states, I will be an early adopter on this one. Hell, it's what I've been trying to do to my VFR since I got it: Helibars, Lower pegs, etc...

I don't care about going off-road, just want to be able to cruise in comfort the 400 miles to decent twisties and then still enjoy said twisties. Be great if I could do it with a V4!

And I hope it's VFRD worthy....I like it around here :fing02:

I would like some rough and dirt (in a pinch) road capability too. But I do not want to put crash bars on ....like my KLR.

Archived