Thurn Motosports mirrors

BartmanEH

Question

• Member Contributer

I've read complaints about Thurn mirrors that they are loose and flop out of alignment with the slightest jarring. However they seem to have an awful lot of different models available now. Surely they can't all be bad. Anyone tried one of the LED mirrors?

Thurn mirrors for 6th gen

11 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Here's some more info. Thurn makes no less than 3 styles of LED turn signal integrated mirrors for the 6th gen VFR VTEC or RC46 V-TEC as they call it. Here some pics:

99-SS0246-gesamt.jpg18-560246-gesamt.jpg18-563246-gesamt.jpg

I suspect that the middle one is the one that people have complained about not being tight enough at the joint and the mirror moved too easily because it's the one that comes with the coveted mirror mount that can be used for other mirrors and the complaintiff (?) re-purposed the mounts.

The first (left) one looks pretty sturdy but is that a cheesy condom style cover I see flexing ever so slightly in the picture of the upper (right) mirror?

I think the rightmost set holds the most promise. Nice sleek simple design.

• Member Contributer

I cant remember which member here did them but he might have some left. Its Either "Radar" or "Lobster" .. They made some mounts to work with OEM gixxer or Emgo gixxer mirrors and work/look great.

It was Tim AKA Darth Bling. I emailed him and he's been out for a while and currently has no plans for another production run. He's done a ton for the folks here at VFRD and I can't blame him for not jumping into another production run. It's a big financial investment and huge logistical pain to take dozens of tiny orders. Coveted Darth Bling mirror mounts, RIP!

• Member Contributer

OK, I found the post by Tim about the crappy Thurn mirrors:

Gsxr Mirrors On 6th Gen

It looks like the ones on the left in my first post. I didn't like them the best of the lot anyway so they're eliminated from consideration.

The middle one has the disadvantage of visible wiring. Doesn't look like there's any way to conceal the wires. They have the advantage of coming with a mirror mount adapter that likely would be able to host a whole bunch of other mirrors like the Emgo or GSXR ones.

Then there's the right most ones. Not too sure I like the teardrop shaped tips but they look sturdy enough. Hmmmm.....

• Member Contributer

I installed these GSXR/EMGO mirrors on my 5th Gen with Lobstenders, and wired the lights as both running lights and turn signals. They vibrate very little (almost not at all). I'm very happy with them. No more having to look around my shoulders, and my visability to others from the front is significantly enhanced (according to others). They also seem to have more mirror area than the Thurn, but I'm not certain of that. I do like the shape better than the Thurn mirrors. They also come in faux carbon fiber.

med_gallery_12878_5047_1719.jpgmed_gallery_12878_5047_2662.jpgmed_gallery_12878_5047_3224.jpgmed_gallery_12878_5047_3754.jpgmed_gallery_12878_5047_205404.jpg

• Member Contributer

I installed these GSXR/EMGO mirrors on my 5th Gen with Lobstenders, and wired the lights as both running lights and turn signals....

Looks great, Knife! How about some details on how you installed them? I thought those mirrors didn't mount directly and needed the Darth Bling mirror mount special adapters. How did you physically mount them? Exactly what model mirrors are they?

Also, did you use the Darth Bling wiring method by wiring into the ground return on the main signals to make them running lights and flash with turn signals?

• Member Contributer

I saw a 6th gen and a 5th g this week with the GSXR mirrors on them. Until I saw them in person I thought the shape looked funky too. Now I'm sold - I really liked them. The running lights and signals really make the bike more visible from the front. Now if I can just find a way to mount 'em up . . . :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I installed these GSXR/EMGO mirrors on my 5th Gen with Lobstenders, and wired the lights as both running lights and turn signals....

Looks great, Knife! How about some details on how you installed them? I thought those mirrors didn't mount directly and needed the Darth Bling mirror mount special adapters. How did you physically mount them? Exactly what model mirrors are they?

Also, did you use the Darth Bling wiring method by wiring into the ground return on the main signals to make them running lights and flash with turn signals?

Wow, is my memory failing me. I believe I got everything from Darh Bling, and a little harness with diodes (?) from Tightwad (I think). I'd have to do a little research to confirm that. All I know is that they were easy to install. When I get back from my weekend ride on Tuesday, I'll see if I can find everything and post it. And, yes, they serve as both running lights and turn signals, which is way cool.

• Member Contributer

Hey, Knife - don't bother looking it all up. If you think you got them from Darth Bling, then you probably did. Refer to my post #4 above. Darth Bling (Tim) made a bunch of adapters some years ago, bless his heart, but he's all out now.

Hey, Knife - don't bother looking it all up. If you think you got them from Darth Bling, then you probably did. Refer to my post #4 above. Darth Bling (Tim) made a bunch of adapters some years ago, bless his heart, but he's all out now.

I have a 2002 VFR 800, looking to add the turn signal mirrors. but Ebay only has the hong kong mirrors and I am not sure how reliable they would be. I have thought about adding the mirrors and then removing the current turn signal mirrors and placing a custom Vent screen of some sort to act as a Vent duct for radiators. does this sound crazy? or should I keep the lights for better visibility ? And where can i find decent mirrors?

• Member Contributer

I have a 2002 VFR 800, looking to add the turn signal mirrors. but Ebay only has the hong kong mirrors and I am not sure how reliable they would be. I have thought about adding the mirrors and then removing the current turn signal mirrors and placing a custom Vent screen of some sort to act as a Vent duct for radiators. does this sound crazy? or should I keep the lights for better visibility ? And where can i find decent mirrors?

Me too. The only thing I can think of would be to buy the Thurn mirrors for their mounts - $=:mellow: - and adapt the GXSR mirrors to them - or just use the Thurn mirrors. I personally don't care for the Thurn's look tho. I would love to find some solution but it seems like a dead end.

Archived