Sena SMH10 Intercom system...anybody have one?

2thdr

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Anyone have one of these yet? Web bike world is falling all over themselves recommending it.

http://www.webbikewo...mh10-part-2.htm

I do, have had it for a week now - it's everything they say it is. I ride with earplugs but can still hear music without it being distorted.

The few calls I've had on the bike - no one knew I was on 2 wheels so the noise cancellation is good

Most importantly it will pair with a Garmin Nuvi GPS not just the Zumo

I got it from a group buy on ADV Rider

• Member Contributer

Anyone have one of these yet? Web bike world is falling all over themselves recommending it.

I do, have had it for a week now - it's everything they say it is. I ride with earplugs but can still hear music without it being distorted.

The few calls I've had on the bike - no one knew I was on 2 wheels so the noise cancellation is good

I'd like one. What was the group buy cost?

How quiet is your helmet? I'm sure that would play a factor. I'm considering one and wear the Shoei RF-1100

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

How quiet is your helmet? I'm sure that would play a factor. I'm considering one and wear the Shoei RF-1100

I have a quiet Scorpion EXO-900 modular and a noisy AGV miglia modular that I use in the summer and the Sena unit works well in both. I have tried the RF-1100 at a dealership and though it's a snug secure fit for my head I'm not too sure how noisy the new RF is once you're on the bike.

Nearly three weeks now and it's working flawlessly with the Blackberry both as a headset as well as the sound quality on MP3's is good. Dont expect any Bass though

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I just got my SENA from MrHit.com and i Love it. It was $269.99 there for the DUAL and $149.99 for the single.

Man, you got me all excited. They have the Blue Ant F4 for $149.99. But...

SENA SMH10 Interphone Motorcycle Helmet Kit Bluetooth Intercom

Retail $225.00

Our Regular Price $199.99

Add to Cart for Sale Price!

Sena SMH10 Bluetooth Stereo Headset and Intercom for Motorcycles

If you eBay motorcycle intercom, you can find the Sena for $175.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

SMH10 ROCKS, I have had one for about 1 month & didn't buy it for the intercom but for the Bluetooth stereo function for music to link to my Zumo 660 because the stereo Bluetooth unit I had was made for mobile phone & would run out of battery at about the 6hr mark which was annoying on full day rides. So I bought the SMH10 as the battery life is great & hasn't failed yet even after 12hrs of constant use.

I never bothered with phone connection on bike due to needing mic setup & used to just pull over if needed, the SMH10 system works perfectly & I don't even use the SMH10 phone connection feature due to pairing phone to my Zumo so I have on screen menu, GPS & music all taken car of by the Zumo only paired to SMH10. The reason I like it that way is for stereo as only have SMH10 set to stereo, some phones won't work this way so your music suffers if also receiving it Bluetooth as I found the SMH10 doesn't really auto switch between stereo/mono well unless you use direct MP3 jack.

I use the aux base plate that has wired mic & plug in ear buds which I prefer & is the only grip I have about system that you can't buy the system already with that configuration, but the extra base plates aren't too $$ so not that big a cost. It did work out ok because I use the standard bom mic base plate on my Shoei flip front helmet & my preferred option installed hard wired mic & ear buds in my Shoei X12.

I highly recommend this system & even if I haven't used intercom with the way the rest of system works it's bound to be outstanding.

• Member Contributer

After using this system for a season I can say that the in-helmet speakers just don't have enough volume for me unless I'm riding my ST1300 that of course keeps most of the wind off me compared to the VFR. I have done like zRoyz and gone to earbuds exclusively when riding my VFR...got the S-plug ones for about $150. MUCH better sound with good noise reduction...not quite as good noise reduction as with straight foam earplugs, but close if you get the earbuds inserted properly (deep). Lubricating the silicone earplugs is a must to getting inserted properly...sounds gross, but I just use a lick of the tongue most of the time. For helmet to helmet communication I have found the only way that is really tolerable is set the VOX function off (I don't even think I know how to turn it on) and have at least rider or pillion listening to another device like an iPod or music on your GPS. Then when you want to talk, you just tap the big Jog button and it connects to your partner...done talking, just tap the jog button again and go back to music. I have found that if neither is listening to a device then the comm line stays open and you just get annoying wind noise constantly. I guess the way to avoid this is to enable the VOX (on by speaking) function. The problem with VOX is that the first word or two you speak is not transmitted.

• Member Contributer

I bought a dual pack about 6 months ago from Rocket Moto and cannot recommend them enough. I use it with Westone UM1 in-ear speakers so volume is no issue, you can make and take calls at very illegal (European) speeds and it's just a brilliant piece of kit. BT it to my ipod for flawless stereo music, phone pairs easily, sta nav too though the delay on connecting BT means you miss the first word or 2. My fiance has the other set for pillion comms and it's really cool walking into the gas station to pay for fuel and still talking with her. I lent her set to a m8 on his bike and we got around 300metre range from it before it dropped the signal. You can only pair 3 other devices though so it doesn't replace a radio. They now sell a BT PTT for attaching to radios.

Big thumbs up from me.

• Member Contributer

I find the girlfriend having "at demand" access to converse with me a mixed blessing! LOL. Sometimes I have to feign technical failure...

• Member Contributer

We have had our system for a year now. We ride 2 up and will not EVER do another trip without them. The Sena unit rocks.... Also the large jog dial on the side was

the final nail on the choice. Iphone pairing and our TOMTOM worked flawlessly. I wear earplug and if the in helmet speakers are placed right it was great. ROCKET MOTO

was great to deal with. Also make sure you get the new system as its USB upgradable. :(

• Member Contributer

been sitting on the fence about the smh10 for a little bit now . i usually ride with my shure se425 plugged into my gamin 700. the last trip i did with my wife said it sucked because i was always saying to her " i cant hear u " . so now seeing on ebay 250$ for a pair i thought they aint gonna get much cheaper and bought a pair .... hope i am gonna be satisfied with foam ear plugs in the ear with the speakers being good enough to give me enough volume ...

only thing is gonna have to wait to spring time to try

i am very excited to try them though from what everyone says there the best

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

been sitting on the fence about the smh10 for a little bit now . i usually ride with my shure se425 plugged into my gamin 700. the last trip i did with my wife said it sucked because i was always saying to her " i cant hear u " . so now seeing on ebay 250$ for a pair i thought they aint gonna get much cheaper and bought a pair .... hope i am gonna be satisfied with foam ear plugs in the ear with the speakers being good enough to give me enough volume ...

only thing is gonna have to wait to spring time to try

i am very excited to try them though from what everyone says there the best

Get the $35 setup that lets you plug in your Sure earbuds and you won't have to worry about the speakers being loud enough. I had that problem with the in-helmet speakers...just not loud enough on the VFR. They were barely adequate on my ST1300. I'm assuming your Garmin 700 has bluetooth, so you can pair it up and pair the intercoms...just takes a tap on the jog dial button to switch between sources.

• Member Contributer

no the garmin is the non bluethooth i think its the 750 , kinda sucks . i might sell the 750 to my buddy and see if i can find a 700 somewhere .

so far just playing with them in the house they are pretty cool . i am suprised that although the speakers are small the sound insnt that bad . i meen of course there are many other small speakers out there that are better quality but still not bad . as for the lack of bass they all have lack of bass.

anyway when i put them to real world road use i will defently write my personal review . and never know i just might go to the 35$ boom mic with the earbud plug in

• Member Contributer

Depending on your helmet of choice, if it's a fixed full face (not a flip up), you might like the little mic on a wire instead of the boom mic. I have it mounted in mine and it works well. It sticks to the inside of the chin bar with velcro. Also, my Garmin is an old school 450 zumo and no bluetooth goodness either. I got a little bluetooth transmitter by Sony that was recommened by webBikeWorld a while back before all these GPS devices had integrated bluetooth. It's a little more hassle, but cheaper...I plug in the little transmitter to the zumo's audio out port and then pair the transmitter to the Sena. Now I can use the mp3 player on the zumo, it will cut into the music with directions or I can mute it, and my passenger just has to tap the jog button to cut in on the music and talk. The Sony transmitter is a model #TMR-BT10A, about $70 back when I got it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

so i got my sena set during the winter and was unable to try them till yestersay . so after 3 hours of riding i think i could give a real good opinion on them .... the set up i have is the headset with the speakers taped to the inside helmet . for talking on the phone they are great ! my wife was able to hear me loud and clear with minimal road or wind noise .... i also put on a chin skirt on my helmet also ..... i also had ear plugs in my ears and i could hear her at 90kmph with no problems or lack of volume . as for music , they have 0 bass and the sound isnt very good . with the volume full blast with the ear plugs in the music is very low ,which when i ride anyway is how i like it so it doesnt break my concintration with loud music . so are they worth it ?

i think so . to talk on the phone and with another sena while riding is great . they are small and well made . i would recomend them .

.....also at one point i was gonna go to the mic with the plug in for ear buds but changed my mind . i bought these mostly to comunicate with my pasanger or bike to bike or on the phone not for music . not always do i ride with music and with the earbud one i would have to wear the earbuds everytime i ride and didnt like that idea . i have shure se425 so they also work as earplugs . so if i want to listin to music i just plug the se425 into my ipod and i still can hear the phone over them music ..anyway hope this helps someone thinking of buying these . oh and by the way i paid 275 shipped to my door off ebay

• Member Contributer

I just ordered a pair late last week. I found them at the link below for 269. The site seemed shady, so I emailed a link to revzilla and they happily matched the other sites price. Should be here Wednesday.

http://www.braigo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=207119&currency=USD

I ended up biting the bullet and got a dual pack a few weeks ago as well. I've had Nady, Chatterbox, & Autocom in the past. The Autocom has been the best, but I got tired of being tethered to the bike.

First impressions of the Sena are they work well most of the time. I've had some issues with mine. The left speaker goes in and out. If I move the main unit around a little, it comes back. I need to figure out if it is the unit or the mounting base. I also run stereo plugs, so the base has been changed out to the one I can plug stereo plug into. The other issue is sometimes when it connects to my Garmin 660, the connection sounds terrible. If I turn both off and back on again, sometimes it is better, sometimes I have to do it a couple of times before it sounds good. Directly connecting to my iPhone, I haven't had any issues with sound quality, so it appears to be a Garmin issue.

My GF said hers works just fine (connected to her iPhone). The only issue for her is figuring out how to skip songs, pause the music, and adjust volume without opening the BT channel between us. She gets a little impatient sometimes and keeps pressing buttons which just ends up frustrating her more.

• Member Contributer

hey 803 i had the same problem with the cutting in and out ....there must be some kind of film on the connections . take off the main unit and get a little flat head screw driver and scrape the brass contacts a little . i did that and they work fine now.

and to ff songs and stuff , push in the big toggle button and turn at the same time . that jumps song forward or backwards if turned the other way

hey 803 i had the same problem with the cutting in and out ....there must be some kind of film on the connections . take off the main unit and get a little flat head screw driver and scrape the brass contacts a little . i did that and they work fine now.

and to ff songs and stuff , push in the big toggle button and turn at the same time . that jumps song forward or backwards if turned the other way

Thanks, will try the contacts, I just figured being brand new out of the box, it should work correctly. I knew the part about jumping songs, my GF just seems to have a difficult time actually doing it. :rolleyes:

Archived