6th Gen OEM Luggage Installation Guide

bryan217

• Member Contributer

gallery_17273_5264_111008.jpg

I promised myself last last month that I would install the OEM luggage on my 07 RWB this weekend. So I did. It wasn't all that bad, took me about 1.5 hours.

This guide is intended to supplement the directions that come with the OEM bags, not replace them. I don't show every single bolt that needs to be removed, particularly the ones on the underside. But I wanted to post this up to help those who have yet to do this.

Ok, so here we go. My pics start up after removing the seat, as I'm sure everybody knows how to do that already.

gallery_17273_5264_3054.jpg

IMG_0246.JPG

gallery_17273_5264_89158.jpg

IMG_0250.JPG

This pic shows one grab bar removed, and one still on the bike.

gallery_17273_5264_13021.jpg

IMG_0255.JPG

gallery_17273_5264_122005.jpg

IMG_0256.JPG

gallery_17273_5264_81958.jpg

IMG_0257.JPG

Removing the plate holder.

gallery_17273_5264_113159.jpg

IMG_0259.JPG

gallery_17273_5264_107302.jpg

IMG_0270.JPG

These bolts, along with 2 underneath hold the stock fender bracket.

gallery_17273_5264_48264.jpg

IMG_0283.JPG

Attach the small bracket "C" underneath, using these bolts from the top.

gallery_17273_5264_22655.jpg

IMG_0301.JPG

Place the new collars through the license plate holder. You can see one in my hand and another on the plate holder. Note this is the back side of the plate holder that goes against the fender. I just turned it around to show the collars.

gallery_17273_5264_120423.jpg

IMG_0306.JPG

Put the original spacer back on, after using the new longer bolts and collars.

gallery_17273_5264_61484.jpg

IMG_0308.JPG

As the caption in the pic says, attach this bracket using the lower holes for proper alignment. I found this out the hard way and had to take it off to fix it. :idea3:

gallery_17273_5264_41354.jpg

IMG_0314.JPG

Here's an undershot of the new fender bracket. You can't see one of the two top bolts because of the angle, but believe me, it's there. :offtopic:

gallery_17273_5264_119611.jpg

IMG_0320.JPG

This is where the proper alignment mentioned above comes into play. If you use the top holes, the side brackets won't line up with the holes on the rear bracket.

gallery_17273_5264_7164.jpg

IMG_0322.JPG

This is how the luggage bracket attaches to the peg bracket. Note the bolt isn't fully tightened in this pic.

gallery_17273_5264_93827.jpg

IMG_0323.JPG

We're getting there. Note the top isn't bolted on yet. This is just showing the way it's supposed to look at this point.

gallery_17273_5264_18603.jpg

IMG_0326.JPG

The proper order is the cowl on the bottom, the luggage bracket next, then the spacer and finally the grab bar. Again, the bolts aren't fully tightened yet. In case you hadn't noticed, that's the theme here. It's always good to not tighten everything down until you're sure it's all on properly and everything fits right.

gallery_17273_5264_133719.jpg

IMG_0329.JPG

Another angle, showing the installation of the bracket, spacer and grab bar.

gallery_17273_5264_143647.jpg

IMG_0343.JPG

The brackets are all done and tightened up at this point. You'll notice the stock reflectors are now attached to the luggage brackets. I considered leaving them off, but the luggage bracket has a flange that's just for the reflectors. I think it would look kind of silly with nothing on it. Though you'd only notice when the bags aren't on.

gallery_17273_5264_19200.jpg

IMG_0346.JPG

gallery_17273_5264_111008.jpg

IMG_0353.JPG

Ta-Da!!!!

gallery_17273_5264_4901.jpg

IMG_0354.JPG

A different angle.

gallery_17273_5264_132825.jpg

IMG_0355.JPG

gallery_17273_5264_152254.jpg

IMG_0357.JPG

From the front, you can't see the bags that much.

gallery_17273_5264_170210.jpg

IMG_0377.JPG

The finished product! :woohoo:

gallery_17273_5264_49616.jpg

IMG_0379.JPG

This was taken with the flash to show the reflective stripes that I added. They're black, so they just blend with the bags during the day. But when light hits them, they reflect as white.

You might notice the Baxley Sport Chock that my VFR sits in. Some kind of stable stand is vital when doing stuff like this. You can pull on the wrench as hard as you want and not have to worry about the bike tipping over, or moving at all. Personally, I don't think the center stand is sturdy enough for this. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I wouldn't want to do it. I love the stability the Baxley gives me. (Sorry for the plug, but I think it's a great product.)

I also want to say thanks to my fiance, the photographer, and occasional third hand when needed. :wub:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So are you saying you left the spacers that go in the passenger pegs out? If so, can you elaborate on what issue they were causing? I'm asking because I am using mine, they didn't cause any issues for me?

• Member Contributer

Those bags will move around quite a bit and without the spacer will make the hole on the passenger peg oblong. Mine was tight but I was able to press the spacer into the hole with just a pair of pliers, otherwise you need to drill or file the hole some to make it fit.

Good job on the report!!:fing02:

I put the Honda bags on my '08 last weekend. One of the spacers fit in the footpeg bracket but the other one was tight. I didn't want to jam it in so i just reemed the hole with 15/32" drill bit(closest to 12mm). I also drilled the fender(Step 3.) with the 15/32" bit to get the short collars in.

post-19163-126973468207_thumb.jpg

post-19163-126973473313_thumb.jpg

• Member Contributer

That looks like such a P.I.T.A!!!

I was hoping I'd be able to quickly install/remove the rack each time I want to use the luggage.

• Member Contributer

I'll take a look at the spacers again, but I didn't notice any movement without. They didn't fit in the hole in the peg bracket. I'm guessing that's why they say to drill it.

And no, the brackets are not something that you want to put on/off a bunch of times. Once they're on, you probably just want to leave them on. That's my plan.

• Member Contributer

ya my spacers didn't fit either, had to drill but I wouldn't doubt that some need to and some don't. The BIGGEST help is to leave all the bolts loose until there all in. I love my hardbags, best addition ever.

• Member Contributer

I was hoping I'd be able to quickly install/remove the rack each time I want to use the luggage.

I've gone through several variations but I have finally modified mine so that I can remove them within a minute or so. I made my own fender, welded the nuts in place so I just have eight bolts to remove and they're off. Funny thing is I'm so use to them now I don't even worry about them being on.

FYI: For those that want to protect the paint on their racks you may want to wrap them with electrical tape or something similar. The bags will quickly take the paint off where they hook onto the lower part.

Nice write-up, Bryan. I'm sure this will come in handy for some people. :fing02:

Funny thing is I'm so use to them now I don't even worry about them being on.

+1. I thought I'd take the brackets off when I wasn't using the bags, partially due to the looks of the naked brackets, but also because I thought I'd only use the bags for trips. How wrong I was. I use the bags very often, probably once a week or more. In fact, I keep my rain suit and gloves in one bag all the time, so if I want to commute on the bike but it might rain that afternoon, I just clip the bags on and go. If it's raining when I get off work, my rain suit is right there.

Not to mention they're great for quick trips to the store for a few groceries, or shopping for other small stuff wherever you need to go. I've used them for long one-day trips, too, instead of trying to overstuff a tankbag.

I thought at first the naked brackets looked clunky, like a trunk-mounted bike rack with straps left on the back of a car. But after awhile I didn't even notice them really. Actually, I like having them there, as I bungee stuff down to my rear seat all the time, and the brackets give me a couple more places for bungee hooks.

BTW, it took me longer to install my OEM luggage brackets, but I'm not much of a mechanic. I did use those spacers in the passenger peg holes though. IIRC, I had to use a rubber mallet to get them in so the ends were flush, but they did go in without having to drill the holes out.

• Member Contributer

FYI for other hardbag owners, one of the other benefits of the hardbag bracket is that you can completely remove your plastic fender, because your plate now bolts to the hardbag bracket.

IMHO, the VFR looks way better without that ugly plastic fender down there.

• Member Contributer

I edited this post to remove reference to the spacer. I'll look into it fitting it today.

ECX585, as for removing the brackets when you don't want the bags, Tim and dutch covered it a little. Y

I guess you could theoretically remove the brackets when you don't want the bags by removing the 2 bolts in the rear, the one on the footpeg bracket, and the two on the grab bars. I don't foresee any problems with doing it like that, but it would be a bit of work, too much for me. Like Tim said, once you put them on, you'll end up using them a lot.

I, too, commute with my VFR. Right now, I bring a change of shoes and a couple of other things in a tankbag. Now I'll use the side cases. I exercise a couple of days a week. Rather than carry my gym clothes in a backpack or something, I can just put them in the side cases. I have a set of bag liner, also, so I'll just put my gym clothes in the bag, and carry them that way.

They'll come in handy on the day-long trips with the fiance,too. She can put her purse, and whatever else, in the luggage rather than have to wear it the whole time, or stuff her pockets with the basics.

I've been looking forward to using since I bought them back in December. But I had to wait till now to put them due to the lack of a garage. We had a taste of Spring the last couple of weeks, but this weekend it feels like winter again. So I haven't even ridden with them on yet. But when the weather clears up later in the week, I'll take it to work with the new luggage.

• Member Contributer

I just mounted the pillion pegs yesterday and couldn't get the collars in. Have to get the holes drilled out a tad.

Nice to see you doing what I did. Had a little fun removing my full fender assembly but in the end, it all came out good.

Great write up, I'm sure will get pinned to the How To section.

• Member Contributer

I just mounted the pillion pegs yesterday and couldn't get the collars in. Have to get the holes drilled out a tad.

Nice to see you doing what I did. Had a little fun removing my full fender assembly but in the end, it all came out good.

Seems like it is hit and miss on having to drill them out. My 06 was not required to drill out, but a friends 04 was. Not sure if they changed it over the years or not.

• Member Contributer

Seems like it is hit and miss on having to drill them out. My 06 was not required to drill out, but a friends 04 was. Not sure if they changed it over the years or not.

I'll admit I didn't try very hard. Thought about putting a plyer or hammer to it but, well, just got lazy.

Certainly will before heading for any distance with substantial weight. Now to find a good set of soft luggage to fit inside.

I actually bought my OEM bags (via ebay) a couple years ago but just got around to mounting them last summer. After the first couple times using them I wondered why I waited so long. Love 'em! wink.gif

• Member Contributer

I edited this post to remove reference to the spacer. I'll look into it fitting it today.

ECX585, as for removing the brackets when you don't want the bags, Tim and dutch covered it a little. Y

I guess you could theoretically remove the brackets when you don't want the bags by removing the 2 bolts in the rear, the one on the footpeg bracket, and the two on the grab bars. I don't foresee any problems with doing it like that, but it would be a bit of work, too much for me. Like Tim said, once you put them on, you'll end up using them a lot.

I, too, commute with my VFR. Right now, I bring a change of shoes and a couple of other things in a tankbag. Now I'll use the side cases. I exercise a couple of days a week. Rather than carry my gym clothes in a backpack or something, I can just put them in the side cases. I have a set of bag liner, also, so I'll just put my gym clothes in the bag, and carry them that way.

They'll come in handy on the day-long trips with the fiance,too. She can put her purse, and whatever else, in the luggage rather than have to wear it the whole time, or stuff her pockets with the basics.

I've been looking forward to using since I bought them back in December. But I had to wait till now to put them due to the lack of a garage. We had a taste of Spring the last couple of weeks, but this weekend it feels like winter again. So I haven't even ridden with them on yet. But when the weather clears up later in the week, I'll take it to work with the new luggage.

Wow! Nice write up! You'll love the bags--I never take them off. Keep my gym bag in them all week, great for the store, commuting, etc. The other nice thing I noticed is that they don't seem to be an issue at all in the wind like a top bag... Again, great write up!!!

Muchas gracias...

I just bought a set of OEM sidebags secondhand and have been looking for a write up just like this... excellent stuff... I have mounted them before but with someone who had done it before so this should save me loads of time and frustration...

Top idea welding nuts to make disassembly/reassembly easier...

• Member Contributer

Thank You Bryan for the write up and pics. I just ordered a set of hardbags from http://www.accessories4bikes.com/ as suggested by another member and this has been a very timely and helpful post.

Dean.

That's where I got mine from back in December. I had seen cheaper earlier in the year, but by then, they had the blue ones to match at the best price. I had no problems with the vendor at all.

Now to find a good set of soft luggage to fit inside.

I got the Bestem ones off eBay for a good price. It was a couple of months ago, but I had posted the link here.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just installed mine... took about 45 minutes... it is really rather simple... I started pulling off the rear fender but realized mine already comes with the steel reinforced bracket under there, so I was saved that hassle... of course you never tighten up bolts all the way on assemblies like this (I never do on any assembly) until it's all aligned and then (especially with clutch covers and such), never just one all the way, you play catch up from one to the other.

My main problem was my RHS pillion peg hanger is bent inwards from a bingle and it took a little convincing, but it was doable. Now the number plate looks a little skewif, but who cares??

I don't know what all the drilling indications are all about... I didn't end up using any of the metal collars (spacers) that came with mine... for example, the instructions say to drill to 12mm the holes in the peg hangers to accomodate the collars, but the only collars I got are like 25mm in diameter... I think the collars for this part are supposed to be virtually identical to the ones that go in the grab-handle bolt holes... but I didn't get anything like that with my hardware (2nh hand remember). Also the bolts (allen head) for the connection to the hangers are like 2,5 times longer than they need to be... I clamped 'em down nice and firm, I don't think they be moving around at all and besides, the holes are oblong anyway from me hanging locks off 'em.

The instructions also say to drill (again to 12mm) the rear holes, where the number plate light and hanger assembly goes... once again I don't know why as I had no collars (spacers) appropriate for such holes and just reused the original bolts... I don't have the large plastic spacer which goes between the number-plate light assembly so maybe that's why but it doesn't add up to me...

And everything lined up perfectly (except for the RHS peg hanger I mentioned).

I now have all these rather large aluminium collars left over... and I've got an hour to pack for a 3-day trip through Extremadura where the Cherry trees are in blossom (it's not just a Japanese claim to fame)... so here's hoping the whole thing doesn't explode and burst into flames somewhere along the way as a result of cutting corners which I really didn't cut 'cause those corners weren't there in the first place...

From the photos above I notice you guys in the US have certain metal bits that my bike doesn't and mine has others that yours don't..

Still. The photos really help for getting a general idea of what you're on for and how things are orientated.

CONCLUSION: MODERATORS, WOULD YOU PLEASE BOOKMARK THIS THREAD AT THE START OF THE LUGGAGE FORUM?? It is very useful and would be nice if it were easier to find.

• Member Contributer

This post and all the subsequent comments will save me hours...thanks for sharing.

---David

• 3 months later...

gallery_17273_5264_49616.jpg

IMG_0379.JPG

This was taken with the flash to show the reflective stripes that I added. They're black, so they just blend with the bags during the day. But when light hits them, they reflect as white.

Where'd you get that black reflective tape?

• Member Contributer

You can find it just about anywhere. It's just 3M sheets that I cut into strips. You can try some law enforcement supply places, that's where I got mine.

The ones that are made (I forget by whom) for the VFR are just big sheets also. I like the look of the strips, I think it's more attention getting.

You can find it just about anywhere. It's just 3M sheets that I cut into strips. You can try some law enforcement supply places, that's where I got mine.

The ones that are made (I forget by whom) for the VFR are just big sheets also. I like the look of the strips, I think it's more attention getting.

Very cool. Discreet during the day, and attention getting at night. I like it. Thanks for the info. Great looking install, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the posts. I just got done installing a set on my 08. The honda instructions are for sh&^, but was able to work through it quickly with your pics and and posts. Thanks a lot, you saved me a bunch of time.

Archived