GET BENT!!!

Veefer800Canuck

Dean is jealous because he didn't get a bedtime story like Kevin did.

That's what you get for staying out too late young man. By the way, You're grounded for a week!

Late yes it was, in fact I have not gone to bed at all yet. Been up doing books so I can get the dam taxes, and had to drop the girls off at the school at 5 : 30 or a school ski trip. Maybe i'll get a mid morning nap and take the bike out for a ride since the roads are dry and the temps have been great here.

The lines look great on the bike, but really to whole Dam bike looks awesome!!! You should be very proud of it.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

gallery_554_5200_199645.jpg

Can I ask for some specs?

Looking for your length measurements on the fronts and the clutch line.

Fronts look like straight banjo's and angled on the clutch. That right?

Who made 'em?

Http://Www.apexbrakes.com is the guy who made them for me. Raymond Chan is the guys name. He was very good to deal with, and It was $135 for all five lines.

I'll get the measurements for you soon, was it just the front lines you were interested in, brake/clutch?

Thanks Rob, no rush.

Yes, front brakes and clutch.

I was looking at Spiegler and they do some with multiple fittings on one line. I thought that might work for the rear in place of your double or my single long and mini crossover line. Also the Spiegler are somehow rotate-able so the lines won't be twisted.

• Member Contributer

Hey Rob, what did you ever do with the stock gas cap?

Mine has snapped off the trim ring, so, I get to swap my lock set over to another one.

If you still have yours, how much do you want for it.

PM me, before I buy the 2001 on Ebay in delaware for parts.

I've been wondering if it is possible to remove the lock and swap it out with another one...

I take it it is?

How did you powder coat it? Did you have to break it completely down into individual parts and leave out the lock and rubber bits?

I've been wondering if it is possible to remove the lock and swap it out with another one...

I take it it is?

Yes, you could swap the lock mechanism between caps.

How did you powder coat it? Did you have to break it completely down into individual parts and leave out the lock and rubber bits?

Yes, exactly like that. But separating the ring and the cap is a bugger, because the ring hinges on a roll pin, but the roll pin is driven into a blind hole. In order to get the pin out, I had to CAREFULLY drill out the other end of the blind hole, and push the pin out that way. THEN powdercoat both pieces separately, THEN reassemble them with a NEW roll pin, because I destroyed the old one getting it out.

Not an easy task, and plenty of opportunity to get it wrong and wreck the cap. It sucked, and I probably would not do it again.

If you're asking me what you should do, I would tell you to remove the lock mechanism and rubber bits, keep the ring and cap together, and media blast them with some fine media (glass beads, walnut shells, etc) then prime and paint them as one.

• Member Contributer

I have my original that I attempted to polish years ago. I didn't like how it turned out, so I painted it black. That was only marginally better, but I've been living with it. I have another that I was going to swap out with a matching ignition, but nothing for the helmet lock so I never did it.

• Member Contributer

I take it it is?

Yes, you could swap the lock mechanism between caps.

So how might one accomplish this feat? I'm not seeing it so far...

Geez, it was awhile ago that I did this, maybe 5 years?

I think you have to access some screws under the rubber portion of the seal, bend the seal out of the way. Have a look around.

Or someone else might chime in.

Also, since John has my OE fuel cap now, I can't even look to tellya. Sorry.

I distinctly remember drilling out the pin as it was a Beeyotch to do, but the rest was so easy, I've forgotten. I could tell by looking at it in 2 seconds though.

gascap.jpg

Stator cover painted Wrinkle Black to match clutch cover (stator cover was looking quite ratty, no crash damage, just 13 years of ugly).

And besides, I had a half a can left over.

Also radiator fan bracket was a bit sad, and beat up from road debris, so it got bead blasted as well but painted gloss black instead.

Hanging by the heat vent in the basement, drying nicely.

Waiting on my straight EBAY rad to arrive, and be painted, to replace the one tweaked in the wreck of '09.

gallery_554_5200_41559.jpg

Best read I've had in a very long time. Makes my winter maintenance just completed seem kind of half assed ...

929 Shock

Oil cooler and lines

Painted wheels

Painted centre stand

Vtec gutted headers

Oh no worries, you gotta look at the timeframe here. Bike has been slowly taking shape since 2000, and again at a very accelerated pace since 2009 when it was written off. So your plans for this winter are looking great. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Funny how the longer you keep your bike, the longer the "to do" tinkering list gets. :biggrin:

-Jeez cant believe I'm going on 7 years.... :comp13:

• 2 weeks later...

Dammit Dammit Dammit. I just broke the top of my thermostat housing putting it together.

Put in new O-ring, the thermostat seemed to be properly aligned and flush with the lower housing, started tightening the bolts, alternating between the two, and didn't even approach the correct tension and

SNAP!

One of the two ears on the top housing snapped off completely.

I was just holding it gently and snugging it up gingerly in preparation to actually tightening the bolts down. I dunno if the thermostat shifted inside or what. I've had it apart before no problems.

Arrgh, I didn't need this today.

I just now ordered an entire housing off EBAY just now, it's from a 2007 and in nice shape. The tops are identical from 1998 to 2009, but the bottoms are different, probably an extra line for the wax unit.

Honda-07-VFR800-164.jpg

Oh well, I got my new stator installed, the cover put on, the wiring routed, and at least I can put the countershaft sprocket cover back on and the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder, then I'm out of things to do.

I was really wanting to get the cooling system finished up, so that I could put the throttle bodies on tomorrow and fill her up with oil and start it up to check the charging system output with the new stator.

Grrrrr.

After the setback, I gathered myself back up and installed the few pieces that I could.

New stator from TightWad at wiremybike.com inside the freshly painted cover, it was looking kinda ratty from years of weather:

IMG 0722

I also had dismantled, masked and sandblasted the countershaft sprocket cover and the clutch master cylinder.

Cleaned everything up inside and out, removed the piston and seal, then baked the parts afterwards to cure the paint, then reassembled.

I figured since I was painting the stuff on the left side, it should match the clutch cover on the right, and well, I had the paint left over so......

The replacement EBAY radiator is painted and installed, the original was tweaked quite a bit in the accident of '09:

IMG 0729

New brake line fittings installed. I went with domed allen head fasteners in steel. I don't trust the aluminum ones.

IMG 0727

IMG 0726

IMG 0725

IMG 0723

• Member Contributer

aahh that will buff out...................

but it won't keep the fluid inside :laugh:

Doan worry bout it. I gots another one comin.

I can still install the rear brake lines, bleed all the hydraulics, install the rear caliper, get a new rear tire fitted, and fill the engine with fresh Mobil-1.

That's about all I can think of to do until the new housing arrives.

Besides, it's snowing like a banshee, we're getting all the precip we should have gotten between November and January.

http://m.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?ab29#ab29-761cweg-077400

Probably Won't be riding until mid to late April on account of the snow and ice anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a little work tonight, got the brake lines and rear caliper mounted, plus a couple other things you might spy. Sorry for the flash, garage lighting aint great for getting into the nooks and crannies of the bike.

Gotta put a little clear vinyl hose over the brake line hoop at the very back of the swingarm so the new braided lines don't rub on the metal hoop.

Couldn't get the throttle bodies on because I haven't gotten the new/used thermostat housing yet. Oh well.

IMG 0757

IMG 0755

IMG 0758

IMG 0764

IMG 0760

IMG 0759

IMG 0761

IMG 0762

• Member Contributer

Hey Rob, I've just caught hold of this thread (Apologies for being so slow, that's what having a stock 750 does for you :tour: )

Anyway, thought I'd just ad my compliments for some fine work you're doing there, and sorry to hear it all started with a crash. I'm interested to hear what you used for the rocker cover paint - they sure do stand out :fing02: . I'm considering repainting my whole engine so am collecting opinions as to the best paint, & technique. I was thinking of POR15, as it's highly recommended, but keen to hear your thoughts. Very nice touch with the red lines too, it's details like that, that make a bike stand out - er, and all the hundreds of hours work you've also put in probably help. :laugh: Great job - hope you & the bike are soon in perfect fettle !

Archived