7-wire Suzuki R/R

mrmatt

In the interest of not having my regulator fail, I searched the cyberspace for another. I came up with an 05 SV650 model for $30, but the newer Suzuki models have 7 wires instead of the usual 5 on the VFR. Looking up the wiring diagram I saw 2 that I thought were redundant (2xB/W and 2xB/R)

gallery_12942_4385_330644.jpg

sv650_color_wiring.jpg

I tied those together and then used some spades to hook into the VFR harness (I also checked all the connectors and have not had any of them melt or corrode so I figured it was good to use)

gallery_12942_4385_163936.jpg

DSC02168.JPG

This R/R has two slots so I was able to just bolt it on, only with one bolt but the other screw keeps it from rotating. It also fits nicely under the tail bodywork so I didn't have to trim up any cooling fins.

gallery_12942_4385_218597.jpg

DSC02172.JPG

I took it out for a 2 mile jaunt in this 27F weather and it looks like it works, approximate readings:

Key off: 12.5

Key on: 12.0

Idle: 13.4

5krpm: 14.3 (very approximate)

I'll keep this updated if I have any problems, but so far so good :fing02:

Those blue crimp connectors (tap a wire) are notorious for not carrying much amperage, and causing corrosion where they clip to the wire.

May I recommend stripping, soldering and heat-shrink wrapping those connections?

Those blue crimp connectors (tap a wire) are notorious for not carrying much amperage, and causing corrosion where they clip to the wire.

May I recommend stripping, soldering and heat-shrink wrapping those connections?

Really? I'll be reworking that for sure...

• Member Contributer

Really? I'll be reworking that for sure...

+1 BTDT

On my RCBVFR, I went with a newer gixxer 7 wire unit simply because they were more plentiful on ebay than the older 5 wire units I used on my old superhawk. Plus I knew I was going to re-route the wiring and thus ditch the stock wiring/connector so dealing with the extra two wires wasn't a big issue. I took a chapter from the vtec book and moved the r/r up front but took it step further and mounted it on the lower fork triple. LOTS of cool air there! :fing02:

This spring will be three years with it and steady 14.x voltage.

KG9K0263.jpg

• 6 months later...

Matt, do you remember if this unit is the same as the one you sent me a while back? Looks very similar.

The one I sent you was from a GSXR ('06ish 1000 I think). The ends are all the same on the units so I think they can all be swapped out for each other.

For those with 3rd and 4th gens, I have the regulator end that is normally molded into the R/R....so if you do a project like this you could actually make it plug right in!

For those with 3rd and 4th gens, I have the regulator end that is normally molded into the R/R....so if you do a project like this you could actually make it plug right in!

Nice, I might have to grab a couple from you when I finish the wiring on my 750 build (that's taking much longer than I wanted)

Archived