5th Gen Engine Modifications

sa1713

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Sort that top end fuelling out & you have another 3-5hp for free ! :)

Aye,

could fit a PowerCommander but in the words of the Dynojet guy (he sells PC's as well)  "if it were my bike and I wasnae racing, I would not bother"  :beer:

• Member Contributer

I know but am ok with it. When all is said and done, incl. O2 sensors fitted in the headers, it will be $1k

If I wanted a smooooooth motor I would have bought another VFR, Goldwing or God Forbid a stinky i4.... :goofy:

Looking forward to sa1713's chart, it will be awesome no doubt...

7 hours ago, Mohawk said:

So imagine my 120hp VFR :)  at 205Kg wet, its a blast :)

take off the fairings, and headlight and you can lose another 20kgs or so.

Fighter it. Join us. join us. Join usssss...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keef said:

take off the fairings, and headlight and you can lose another 20kgs or so.

Fighter it. Join us. join us. Join usssss...

Hey Keef, I've been telling him that for years now. 

my fighter is about 185 wet, and stock(ish) power - rapidbike, pipercross, short stacks, custom exhaust.

Keen to see what this 5th gen motor will do,

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Step 1 of the swap.  Original engine in the storage cradle.  Salvaged frame with legs.  I hope to spoon the HRT engine in tomorrow.  Injectors returned and are ready for install.  All 8 are now back to factory speck.

Waiting on SS silicone clamps (arrival tomorrow), new thermostat and a few more small bits.  Hope to fire it up sometime next week.

IMG_8329.JPG

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

HRT engine is in and all plumbing/electrical are connected.  Having a bit of trouble firing as I only get a puff or two while cranking.  I've checked all my connections and I'm sure fuel is present.  I'll start the drill and work on the spark side of the triangle.  Input is welcome.

Jim

Sidestand, neutral, and bank angle switches functional and accounted for? Pump primed numerous times before cranking to ensure full system pressure? Checked for spark? Assuming correct motor assembly, those are the easy things. 

Could check timing and the cam pulse generator inside the clutch cover (red 2p connector).

Or give'r a squirt of ether and cross your fingers? ;)

• Member Contributer

I have air, fuel, and spark at each plug.  Sidestand/neutral/bank angel sensors are functional.  The engine seems to turn over a bit slower than I'm used to.  Battery is fully charged.  I believe the engine was assembled correctly and have no reason to believe differently.  Next step is to check the pulse generator. 

I don't remember all your specs, but if your compression has been bumped up it will be slower to turn over. Being cold doesnt help. Could try a car battery (car not running!) 

I bet it's tight because it's fresh. That first fire should be real satisfying!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sa1713 said:

I have air, fuel, and spark at each plug.  Sidestand/neutral/bank angel sensors are functional...  Next step is to check the pulse generator. 

Those sensors would stop the spark and/or fuel, so if you have those, the sensors are unlikely to be at fault. Likewise the pulse generator must be working.

Is it firing at all or just simply turning over?

Basically, if you have air, fuel, compression, spark, and they're occurring at the right time, the engine must run. So one of those factors must be missing or wrong.

Do you have a clip-on strobe light? Really useful to help diagnose ignition/timing issues.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Stray said:

Jim, have you put spark leads on correct plugs? 

Many of us have got that wrong and engine won’t fire. 

4 1/2 years since he lasted posted on this thread. 😟

• Like 1