Official TEXASMAC Memorial Ride thread 2010

Welcome to the official 2010 TexasMac Memorial Ride thread.

The event will run May 20th thru May 23rd, 2010.

This is the 7th Annual T-Mac.

Event HQ/Motel

This year we will return to the Franklin Motel in Franklin, NC it will be event HQ and starting point. http://www.thefranklinmotel.com/

Please see Event Registration below and sign-up also when you book a room.

I have all the Motel's 51 rooms reserved for VFRD and these rooms will be held for us only until April 15th when all non-reserved rooms will be released for anyone else to rent.

Ask for the VFRD/Kevin Bailey reserved rooms.

Our rates for this event are $50/night for singles and $55/night for doubles and $60/night for the large doubles w/king & double. Please contact the Franklin Motel (800-433-5507) and reserve your room(s) with a credit card in order to hold them for our event. I would love to have the entire place just for the T-Mac, but doubt we will have that many attenders to do so.

Beer is allowed at the Motel, but as there is no large indoor meeting room the Pool area is the only other area we can hang out as a group. Bottles/glass are NOT allowed in the Pool area, please respect this one rule!!!

Event Registration

Again this year we are using Eventbrite On-line registration for this years T-Mac.

Here's the link: http://texasmac2010.eventbrite.com

Please add your VFRD member name to your Paypal payment note, thanks.

There is a registration fee that includes an event T-shirt and helps to cover other incidental cost of maps and such for the event.

It will ask for you shirt size, preferred Ride Group, days you plan to attend and emergency contact and info so we know what medication you might need and have someone to contact in case of any problem. On that note it's also advisable to carry emergency contact info on you for the same reason, I like the helmet info packets best myself.

Also with Ride group selection being private you might be less likely to let ego choose your group and I suggest you drop down one level to start with, then move up or down as needed through out the event.

You can now order extra T-Shirts on-line also.

Group rides

I may only have ride groups organized with Lead/Sweep teams for the Relaxed/Scenic ride groups this year and just let all Int. & Advanced riders organize their own groups. Let me know your thoughts here!

We will have group rides/routes planned for Friday & Saturday that will include both long and short versions so riders can decide just how far they what to ride. Thursday & Sunday will not have any official ride or route planned, just days to acclimate to the area and do whatever you like.

As mentioned we will have long (aprox 250 mile) and short routes (aprox 150 mile) each day and each group will have a Lead/Sweep team to guide/control/maintain a SAFE group ride .

We'll have at least 3 ride group categories, Relaxed(newer riders),Scenic(Int/slow)& Intermediate(Int/fast) groups. The idea here is Not to let Ego choose your ride group. We want everyone to have a fun and safe time while participating in this event and controlling how groups are run is the biggest factor in a successful and safe event.

This is not a Competition or Race and our Lead riders will lead for the entire group, not a "your one your own" attitude.

Safety and fun will be the focus of all group rides, the idea is for everyone to make it home safely and share what a great time they had at the T-Mac. Not who's the fastest rider. Please keep the ego's at home (I have enough for everyone)

- Routes will be posted sometime next spring and will include GPS and hard maps of each days ride.

- Lead/Sweep teams will be picked from volunteers I choose that have the attitude I'm looking for which is Group oriented not self and you do not need to be a star rider, super fast or live in the area to be a good team member. I'll start a different thread for that over the next few weeks and will get into more detail then.

- Group size - I hope to have enough quality Lead/sweep teams to keep group sizes small as smaller groups sizes make everything easier and safer. Preferably 6-8 riders per.

Basic Ride Groups:

Scenic: Beginner/newer riders & riders who never go over the posted limits, have little to no twisty experience and are in no hurry to get anywhere. Group stops often for pics/rest/talk.

Relaxed:(Int/slow) Experienced riders, but little twisty experience. Confident in skills except newer to Heavy Mtn Twisties. PACE is Speed limit +/- 5-10 mph. Fun, Safe & consistent PACE. Shorter Loops(150/200 mile) because heavy twisty routes cause fatigue to set in MUCH Faster than normal. Time for extra miles if desired.

Intermediate:(Int/fast) Experienced TWISTY/Mtn riders and or track day experience, confident with non-stop twisties and the endurance to handle them on longer routes(usually 300+ miles) Ride PACE avg. of 10-20 mph over.

Note on group selection:

This area is unmatched in twisties both in volume, duration and technical level compared to 90% of the rest of the country and if you don't ride in similar terrine in that other 10% of the country YOU WILL NOT BE READY FOR WHAT YOU'LL ENCOUNTER HERE !

These twisties there are endless providing little chance to rest and fatigue sets in very quickly. Fatigue multiplies the chance of crashing by 10 fold especially in this area where the turn you just screwed up is only half as hard as the one your now entering from the wrong side of the road. Even the slightest mistake is compounded by the extremely technical nature of these roads that provide little to No room for error!

Please do not take group selection lightly, your life may depend on it! I can not express that fact enough!

We place a lot of importance and responsibility in the roll of our Lead/Sweep Teams and our desire for them to focus on GROUP safety as it's a very important aspect of this events success. But No matter how dedicated out Teams are, we can not control the choices each attendee makes and the effect these have on the entire Event. :fing02:

Each rider coming to this event also plays a hug roll in it's success buy choosing a proper and safe ride group for them. If you are an Intermediate rider in most of the country you will be a Relaxed level rider in this part of the country, please don't let ego pick your ride group! This is the single biggest and most important decision you will make when attending the T-Mac, it will play the biggest role in the fun and safety of everyone involved.

Please do your part and focus on the Fun factor along with Not loosing sight of the fact that this is a Memorial Ride for the first VFRD member to loose his life!

Thanks

Pre-Ride Meetings

We try to have pre-ride meetings each morning before the days ride at breakfast(TBA). The days ride is covered along with maps handed out to anyone that doesn't already have one, the group is then broken down into ride groups with Lead/Sweep teams for each. If there is a planned group lunch stop it will also be discussed.

Ride Rules

Please read rules at this link.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32096

We also ride the PACE, read link:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32055&pid=385787&st=0entry385787

Ride area

This area has some of the best roads this country has to offer with great pavement, beautiful scenery and tons of twisties. But all of these great twisties can also be a hazard for riders who don't get to ride great twisties often and even for skilled riders who loose focus. It's a great area, but can also be hazardous.

Be careful and don't ride over your head.

Please add your VFRD member name to your Paypal payment note, thanks.

Event History

For some members who have no idea what the TexasMac ride is here are some details, Texasmac was a member here who was from *you guessed it* Texas who met Baileyrock and some others for a ride into the Tennesse/North Carolina Smoky mountains to ride the famous Deals Gap. He passed away in a bizarre accident when his bike went off the road and ended up on top of him. He was the first member at VFRD to pass away - it was a shock to many of us, and to those who where with him they decided to honor him with an annual ride to the same spot of the accident, where there is a cross placed in his name. Baileyrock has taken it upon himself to organize this event for the last five years and each year it gets bigger and better, always with safety in mind so that what happened to Texasmac doesn't happen to another member.

BTW the picture at the top of this thread is the actual Cross Raising for TexasMac Event of April, 2004 which is what the T-Mac anniversary is based on. Bruce Williams aka TexasMac was Lost Dec. 27th, 2003 riding with Baileyrock(Kevin) and Hot Rodder(Ray).

Note:

I was told that some newer riders have some worries about not being a good enough rider to attend this event and I want to dispel that fear. We will have at least one(more if needed) beginner/new rider group with a qualified (for this group) Leader who will maintain a Scenic/Relaxed pace that the entire group can easily maintain. These groups will also run shorter routes so that's there's no pressure to keep up with the entire event and also to prevent fatigue from setting in.

Every group will have both a Lead rider and a Sweeper who tags along behind their group to make sure no one gets lost or left behind and will be there (first to scene) if there's a problem.

Please PM me with any concerns or needs.

On the other side of that, there will also be some faster Paced groups for experienced riders and everything in between. We'll most likely have Scenic/Relaxed/ Int. slow/ Int. quick/ & Advanced groups.

Thanks!

No refunds after April 15th.

BR

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to add..

Please come with a bike that is prepared and ready for the task at hand. There is no telling what the temps or weather will be, Weather can and will effect your bikes handling and yours..

If you plan to ride @ or near peg or knee dragging speeds I highly reccomend you mount something better than a set of ST tires, The added safety factor of better grip is well worth the piece of mind. Also Cooler than normal temps can and will have effect on tire grip..

Mounting New tires before hand for the entire trip is your best bet. Tires will wear fast up here in the mtns. Faster than you think due to the added heat from the tire working more than it would in straiter and flatter areas of the country..

Bring extra foot pegs and Brake clutch levers if you havve them.. You might not need them but someone else might and it will save having to track down someone who does or a shop that does..

If Im there I will have extra levers for those that might need one just in case.. As will other members Im sure. Just easier if there are 5 people offering rather than trying to find 1 member who does...

Thanks..

These are just a few key points and lessons learned from past rides..

See you all in may..

B.R. if you need a lead for a INT group or a sweep for a faster one let me know..

• Member Contributer

I'm looking forward to it! Last year was my first year and I had a blast...great rides and new friends. This event is well organized and safety is highly stressed throughout. What a sight to see 56 VFR's together in the hotel parking lot. Somebody post a group picture or two if you have them, and let's get 100+ bikes there this year! I hear the new VFR1200 might even make an appearance.

• Member Contributer

I'll add it to the to-do list.

Just wanted to comment on the 'make-yer-own-group' idea. I think it worked out fairly well at the Summer Summit. Just find out who's going where and who you want to ride with and go. Seems to keep the groups a bit smaller as well, though that's not necessarily true. Would be nice to have some locals as 'free agents' to lead a group if needed.

i have a question about non-riders.

my wife has always wanted to come to the mountains with me - just to see the sights. will there be any folks hanging out at the motel while all the riding is taking place or would she be there by herself??

i have a question about non-riders.

my wife has always wanted to come to the mountains with me - just to see the sights. will there be any folks hanging out at the motel while all the riding is taking place or would she be there by herself??

I don't recall us having many (if any) non-riders. You will just have to wait and see how it develops to determine if there will be other non-riders attending. While the general area is good to see, I would imagine going stir crazy if I had to spend the whole day at the motel. It is a no frills establishment.

So, I'm registered. In the off chance that the Army has other plans for me(read:when they do) can someone send me the T-Shirt?

Thanks

Our standard policy on any late cancellations is to mail the Tee's to their home address no matter what.

The postage is covered by the registration difference.

HOUSE (Will) has done an amazing job with the tee's for the last few years and we (he) just automatically ships out the Tee for any registered member who couldn't attend.

note: some times if we run out of tee we have to pay for another run of Tee's and that may delay shipment as we'll hand out tee's on hand first. :fing02:

BR

• Member Contributer

I was considering taking my family along for the trip, but there's nothing for them to do while I'm gone riding. After the ride, it's too late to really go and see anything. Unfortunately, this just isn't the right venue for the non-riders. Unless you want to stay longer and go exploring with the family and then do the bike thing while they are resting?

I'm still thinking about my options as well.

It is a no frills establishment.

That's for damn sure....

Unfortunately, this just isn't the right venue for the non-riders.

That's for damn sure....but it is for two-uppers. :unsure:

wink.gif

• Member Contributer

I agree about making your own group - some of us will regardless becase we have ridden together before and prob will again.

Not really a wife friendly place - ask me how I know!

I agree about making your own group - some of us will regardless becase we have ridden together before and prob will again.

Not really a wife friendly place - ask me how I know!

Really for riders who know the area and roads it's normal to form up your own little group of known riders and do you own thing if you wish.

My Biggest concern is for newer riders and or riders that have Not ridden in this challenging area before! That is why I try to form up Lead/Sweep teams especially for these groups. I Do need and will ask(volunteer thread) for quality Lead & Sweep rider to guide these groups safely through our intended Route Loops. :beer:

smile.gif

BR

• Member Contributer

Well crap.......I planned a trip with friends for the same dates well before this one was put together. However, we will be riding some of the same roads and will be on the lookout for groups of VFR's. I may be on my CBR this time around.

Well crap.......I planned a trip with friends for the same dates well before this one was put together. However, we will be riding some of the same roads and will be on the lookout for groups of VFR's. I may be on my CBR this time around.

:laugh: Except for being on a CBR. Next year I will make the trip in June to avoid the TMAC conflict. It will still be a blast.... :laugh: :laugh:

As always, all brands welcome especially if your a member.

We've never looked down on non- VFR's as long as anyone who wanted could test ride any non-VFR! :fing02:

BR

• Member Contributer

I just reserved the room. I'll register closer to the date of the event. :idea3:

One route that ought to be considered is from Franklin, to Brevard, up 276 then to Hotsprings. On the return route, use Hwy. 215. I love this ride but it definitely isn't for first timers or riders with mediocre skills. Just something to think about....need some skill for this ride :fing02:

I put up a teaser on the homepage but used last years ride icon, perhaps sombody can make one for this years event? run it past BR (thats the hard part) for his approval.

:fing02:

Yeah, I'm a PIA sometimes! +1.gif

I'm already pressuring Dutch. I would like a CrossRaising ride logo for the original Tmac and also need an 05 Tmac logo along with 2010 Tmac tee's. Good thing Dutch doesn't do anything else! :wheel:

• Member Contributer

I'm already pressuring Dutch. I would like a CrossRaising ride logo for the original Tmac and also need an 05 Tmac logo along with 2010 Tmac tee's. Good thing Dutch doesn't do anything else! :wheel:

Maybe someone could come up with some variation of the marine flag raising statue, replace the flag with a cross and title it TMAC. Just the first thought that came to my mind when you said crossraising logo.

• Member Contributer

Ohh crap, here comes the moment of realization.

I haven't ridden (other than a few commutes to and from work) since last year's TMac.

Come rain or shine I'll be there.

• Member Contributer

Sam, the PR2's are marketed as ST tires, but they perform very well for sport riding! :fing02:

Yes, they do. They've been more than capable of handling everything I could throw at em. I'll be riding on PR2's for TMAC as I'm taking my PP2CT's off to use for track days. But Sam's comment brings out a good side point....If you're riding on older rubber, change it before TMAC! Spend the money on some good shoes for your bike and you better your chances of not going down.

Archived