RC-51 fork installation

Guest Pete McCrary

I had to do a little grinding on the lower tree and oil cooler mount. It seems to work fine now. The left radiator hose keeps it from going to far left and the wiring bracket keeps it from going to far to the right. I was going to make stops but I am not sure if it needs any. I ground the stops completely off. I am waiting on parts now. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I used the stock VFR1200 clipons on my '99 conversion. Looks like you could have enough above the top triple to fit them, if that is final ride height. I just trolled the 1200 forum for everyone who changed the stockers for aftermarket bars until I found one willing to give me their unwanted clip ons.

• Member Contributer

I have a pair of stock VFR1200F clipon handlebars available, if you decide to go that way. Also a VFR1200F top triple clamp, which I thought would go great with an RC51 front end conversion. I just decided not to go with upside down forks. I also have a very nice set of RC51 SP1 forks available, but it seems you are fully stocked with forks.

Cheers

It is coming along pretty good. I am working on the rear brakes at the moment. Got the F4I master cylinder installed and now have to figure out how to run the brake lines. I put the 1000RR clipons that Pete had on it but they suck. The RC51 master cylinder bumps the instrument cluster. I am thinking a 600rr cylinder instead. I am doing what I can. 

• Member Contributer

That's why I went with the VFR1200 clip ons. They are similar to the stock 800, actually a bit taller. Mine uses the down gullwing top bridge, so it netted me a slight drop from stock. On a flat top bridge, they would be similar to having Helibars or the like.

And I use RC51 masters on brake and clutch. But maybe the different set up of the 5th Gen helps that out as well?

I used 929 upper tree so it's the gullwing type. But the 1000rr clipons are to far forward unless you rotate them so far towards the back that they are really uncomfortable. I do not have a lot of money to spend. So everything I do has to be on a budget. I cannot gamble on something that might work. I am happy with the way things are going so far just need to get the clipons figured out. I can buy a set of fully adjustable Danmotos for less then 80 dollars plus shipping. I have read reviews on them and they seem pretty good. 

I used a 954 top plate, and Heli-bars for a Duc. If I remember right. The inside diameter was 51mm. I cut the raiser peice on the bars and added a spacer to raise them up more. I can't get to my pictures because I'm traveling. Being 2,000 miles from home kind of makes it tough. 

It is coming along pretty good. Waiting on more parts now. Brake lines for the front and rear and the clipons. After they get here it should not take to long to finish it. All the inner fairing pieces are missing but I am hoping Pete's wife can find them but I have a feeling they were tossed. They could not find the exhaust Pete had on it either but I do have the stock pipes. That's a plus.  Thanks for all the info. 

• Member Contributer

Assuming RC51 calipers?  Well, the SP1 and SP2 pistons are different (SP1: 34mm/32mm, SP2: 32mm/30mm), as are the front master cylinders (SP1: 3/4", SP2: 11/16").  Assuming RC51 calipers?  Well, the SP1 and SP2 pistons are different (SP1: 34mm/32mm, SP2: 32mm/30mm), as are the front master cylinders (SP1: 3/4", SP2: 11/16"). 

[Reviews up-thread...]

I see that Pete had SP2 calipers.  That's good news if you want to use an integrated-reservoir master cylinder, as you can use one from a CBR600RR3-6 (11/16").

Ciao,

Pete bought a brand new Honda RC51 master cylinder so that's what I am planning on using. The forks are SP1 worked over by Ohlins so they should be great. The rotors are SP1 and you said the calipers were SP2. I do not know what they are. I am happy with the way things are going . We are wanting to get it on the road. 

• Member Contributer

(I thought you said the RC51 master hit the fairing?)

Anyway, the fork in your picture (with the Ohlins sticker) is SP2.  SP1 have a different flange where the caliper brackets attach (and you have to use SP2 caliper brackets with these forks).

To be sure, you can measure the caliper piston ODs without disassembling anything, using a dial caliper.

Ciao,

The master cylinder hits the gauges but I ordered a set of adjustable clipons and I am pretty sure that will remedy the problem. Pete bought the forks under the impression they were SP1. He had two sets of forks and this set was longer then the other set. From what I have read the SP1s are a little longer. As long as everything comes together I will be happy. 

• Member Contributer

AFAIK, the length difference between SP1 and SP2 is a direct result of the different top-out spring lengths used in each version of fork, and cutting these springs down is done as part of many RC51 fork rebuilds.  In other words, the forks current length is not necessarily an indicator of the fork's original length.  SP1 caliper flanges are just two separate nubs, one for each bolt hole; SP2 flanges are one long flange with two bolt holes.  Making it even more confusing, at some point Honda changed the SP2 outer tubes to Showa gold (from bronze), but I don't think all SP2s had gold fork outer tubes.

I only discovered the difference between the caliper flanges when I went to bolt up the SP1 flanges I'd previously acquired to the SP2 forks I more recently acquired...no way Jose!  (And guess which easily removable parts Honda does not sell separately?  Yep, because they are considered part of the "fork assembly".  Fortunately, people often sell second-hand calipers with brackets attached, so I was able to buy a set from someone who was using the SP2 calipers on a different type of fork.) 

Ciao,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived