Where/How you mounted HF tire changer

Guest bitterpil

Guest bitterpil

Question for you guys that use the HF tire changer. I have the HF tire changer but not the Motorcycle adapter. I basically use the base for the bead breaker from it and switch to tire irons to swap the rubber. What I want to know is, How and where do you have the base mounted to make it stable? Have you guys Drilled your Garage Floors or have you built some other base? I figure if I have the base mounted, I could add the motorcycle adapter, use a mojobar etc. save my back.

Ideas and suggestions welcome.

I have concrete garage floor and or my unfinished part of my basement.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

You could always mount it to a 4 foot x 4 foot piece of 3/4 inch plywood. That way you wouldn't have to worry about damaging your floor and it could still be moved relatively easy. Another more portable option is to mount it to a length of 2" x 6" wood and then park your car wheel on the opposite end to keep the entire thing stable.

Regards,

Rollin

• Member Contributer

I drilled my floor and installed anchors. Works well!

Ditto. Just use flush mounted anchors and put bolts in them when not in use so they don't fill up with dirt.

I build a steel plate with nuts welded to it at the mounting points, as well as nuts welded at the mounting point for a front wheel chock. I then drilled holes in my garage floor at the corners of the plate, in the middle, and a shallow hole where each nut is welded. I mounted the plate to the floor with concrete anchors and round headed bolts.

The results is a 1/4" plate and 5 bolts, but when the Tire Changer is not mounted I can easily park/walk over it without a problem. Overkill I am sure, but originally I tried to use just concrete anchors and they didn't like to hold after a few installs.

Thank you guys... I will head to the Home depot in the next week and see about renting a hammer drill(don't own one)to put 4 holes in the garage floor. Though I have gotten pretty good with tire irons. Only a couple mins per believe it or not. I am old (43) and working standing up is much better than on my knees.

You could always mount it to a 4 foot x 4 foot piece of 3/4 inch plywood. That way you wouldn't have to worry about damaging your floor and it could still be moved relatively easy. Another more portable option is to mount it to a length of 2" x 6" wood and then park your car wheel on the opposite end to keep the entire thing stable.

Regards,

Rollin

This is the same thing I did I counter sunk the bolts from the bottom works well, and with me standing on the plywood I don't have any problems with it moving around.

• Member Contributer

In the concrerte, I used Redhead concrete anchors from Lowes, about $20 I think! My dad had a HF tire changer on a 3' x3' piece of plywood and it wasn't very stable!

gallery_14545_4425_2382583.jpg

IMG_0573.JPG

gallery_14545_4425_1777187.jpg

IMG_0575.JPG

In the concrerte, I used Redhead concrete anchors from Lowes, about $20 I think! My dad had a HF tire changer on a 3' x3' piece of plywood and it wasn't very stable!

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

Is that the NoMar?... I know it isn't the HF.

• Member Contributer

I drilled my floor and installed anchors. Works well!

Ditto. Just use flush mounted anchors and put bolts in them when not in use so they don't fill up with dirt.

:warranty:

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

Is that the NoMar?... I know it isn't the HF.

That is in fact the No Mar. Awesome piece of tire changing machinery.

I don't have the luxury of maintaining a single permanent spot for the changer, so I screwed a 2x4 border to the bottom of a 3/4-inch plywood, and mounted the changer to that with bolts. It is awkward to move around but the portablity is convenient and stable. I stand on the plywood platform when working the tire.

A bigger issue is to find a tool to compress the side of the tire while mounting the rubber. I have been using my oil-filter wrench for that purpose with success.

I don't have the luxury of maintaining a single permanent spot for the changer, so I screwed a 2x4 border to the bottom of a 3/4-inch plywood, and mounted the changer to that with bolts. It is awkward to move around but the portablity is convenient and stable. I stand on the plywood platform when working the tire.

A bigger issue is to find a tool to compress the side of the tire while mounting the rubber. I have been using my oil-filter wrench for that purpose with success.

Use a C clamp and a Piece of rubber or leather to keep from marring you wheel. Tha tis what I use

you push the bead low and keep it in the whee well with the C clamp.

• Member Contributer

Similar to the c-clamp but I find these a lot easier to use.

5412_lg.jpg

• Member Contributer

Regards,

Rollin

That's what I did. Currently disassembled and out of the way! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Similar to the c-clamp but I find these a lot easier to use.

5412_lg.jpg

Oh, that looks good. I've been using a ratcheting tie down strap..

I attached the harbor freight tire machine directly to a wooden palate. This makes it easy to store in the corner of the garage. This makes for a good solid base that I can pull out into the center of the room allowing me to operated my No Mar tire bar without interference from the walls.

• Member Contributer

:fing02: Except I used a wood pallet because I just happen to have one around when I got the HF unit. I just can't bring myself to anchor it in the man cave and take up space in there for a once or twice a year job.

IMG_0529.jpg

I do have a covered patio that gets limited use. I will probably/eventually anchor it there and cover it with a tarp.

are you guys pulling rotors to change tires?

NOPE..... even tho I use tire irons I just use 2 pieces of 2x4 to keep the wheel elevated enough to not have any pressure on the rotors.

I mounted mine to a 4X4 piece of OSB and keep it on the side patio. I had trouble securing the wheel with the stock HF blocks, so I bought a set of six rim clamp spools from No-Mar for their Cyclehill changer. They use them in three pairs on top of the blocks, but there is only room for one on the HF blocks. I think it will work with single spools. I will find out Tuesday when I change the rear tire. If not, I will bolt on some wider plates on the HF blocks and mount the spools in pairs.

Archived