Carbon Fiber Helmets

Guest silkysmooth

Guest silkysmooth

How do these helmets stack up against traditional resin constructed ones.They are light weight,but have been unable to find any info about how they hold up in real world use.

Anyone have experience with a carbon fiber helmet?

• Member Contributer

Can't really give you any idea of the reliability as I've only had mine for a couple of months, but as far as weight and comfort it's the best I've ever had...

Joe Rocket 101 Carbon - which is made my HJC, same as their HP15 Carbon I believe...

• Member Contributer

How do these helmets stack up against traditional resin constructed ones.They are light weight,but have been unable to find any info about how they hold up in real world use.

Anyone have experience with a carbon fiber helmet?

I was thinking about buying a carbon fiber helmet last year, but all the research and user reviews I read indicated that, while they are very light and comfortable, the finishes tend to scratch and chip easily. Given that no one seemed to know whether or not this 'minor' suface damge compromised the integrity of the shell, and given the cost, I decided to skip the carbon fiber deal and stick with traditionl construction.

Love to hear other views.

Can't really give you any idea of the reliability as I've only had mine for a couple of months, but as far as weight and comfort it's the best I've ever had...

Joe Rocket 101 Carbon - which is made my HJC, same as their HP15 Carbon I believe...

The HJC 15 carbon fiber the one I have been considering @ 285 worth a try,just would like a little more info.

how they hold up in real world

Fortunetely I can't give you any first hand info, but look through this years "I binned it" threads and you'll find one member who had a Carbon HJC that seems to have done it's job allright :pissed:

• Member Contributer

I have the HJC one and really like it , have seen a few at the track that have been hard hit and riders were okay afterwards .

• Member Contributer

I bought HJC AC12 Carbon Vader last year on blowout, around $200 I think. I had read the stories about the minor damage problems, but after more then a year, no problems. I have dropped it twice, once it slipped out of my hand, dropped about 3 feet to asphalt. The other, it slid off the seat and landed in grass/dirt.

I had always had Shoei before and thought of HJC as one of the "cheaper" brands but in the end, it just fit my head shape really well. I've been very happy with it.

• Member Contributer

I had always had Shoei before and thought of HJC as one of the "cheaper" brands but in the end, it just fit my head shape really well. I've been very happy with it.

BIG :pissed: on this - pretty much my experience exactly!

I've been wearing an HJC AC-15 Carbon (in the "Vader" graphic) for 3 seasons now, and it's held up well IMO. It fell lightly (I almost caught it in time) from my VFR's seat onto a concrete parking lot a couple years ago, which marred the finish, but its integrity has remained solid thru 3 years and 33k miles.

I've liked this one enough that I would buy another one, but I'd want it in a brighter color. Tho I think naked carbon fiber looks cool, it doesn't show up at all to oncoming cagers. My next lid with either be solid yellow or have much brighter graphics.

BIG :pissed: on this - pretty much my experience exactly!

HJC is the helmet I own now and the fit is great,but it,s double the weight of the carbon fiber,and my shields are the same as on the carbon.

Might have to bite the bullet any the blue fiber HJC,the helmet weigh less then 3 pounds.

Thanks for the infofing02.gif

• Member Contributer

The HJC 15 carbon fiber the one I have been considering @ 285 worth a try,just would like a little more info.

Same lid - less $$$

Rocket 101 Carbon

I love the CF lids. The shark RSR2 (I think) in CF is sweet! Motorcycle closeouts.com had them (not sure if it's still on sale) for 399 or something similar. Wish I had the money---I would have one. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

CF helmets come in 2 main groups, those manufactured in an autoclave (BWM, Schuberth) and the rest, using the "lay up wet"method"

German bike mag Motorad tested a few, not just hold them in their hands saying ooohhh and aaahh but also having impact measurements performed under the current ECE 22.05 norm

And guess what, the most expensive BMW failed, exceeding the max HIC value on multiple place.

The best a man can get :biggrin: is the Shuberth

Schokabsorbtietest = impact test (drop a helmet with dummy head from 2.85 meter with a speed of 7.5mtr/sec on a round and 90 degree angle anvil.

Fit/draagcomfort = fit and wearing comfort; will it move a various speeds

Gebruiksvriendelijkheid: user friendlyness; easy to put on/off, chinstrap mechanism

afwerking/uitrusting: finish

SCAN0151.jpg

I have one on the shelf waiting for warm riding weather to arrive again. Since it meets the Snell foundation standards I figure it is as good as the non CF helmets with the added benefit of lower weight. AFAIK Snell uses the same standards regardless of construction materials.

• 1 month later...

I purchased a new HJC FS-15 Carbon helmet in Copper color, in July 2009.

Back then, they were selling for $415. Imagine my pleasure, now, to see them going so cheap... :unsure:

Anyhow, here is a summary of the helmet that I wrote for another forum I belong to:

Impressions:

Pulled it out of the box and it immediately impressed. The carbon weave in copper color does not stand out as much as you would think, a darkish rust color... until you walk outside into the sun and WoW the copper-colored carbon comes alive like its on fire!

It's light alright. The shell is a touch bigger than the shell on my Shoei (both are Mediums). Air flow controls work very positively but easily.

Slapped on the additional amber shield I ordered for it and it looks really snazzy.

Fit: wellllllllll not as good as I hoped, or was used to with the Shoei X-11. Its somewhat snug but not quite as snug as I would like a new lid to be. Also it seems like I need to push the helmet down onto the top of my head more to get it to sit on me right. When I cinch up the strap it seems pretty far back, sort of against the front of my neck instead of the bottom of my jaw. And to tick me off there was already a small gap in the sewed seam on the bottom of the side cushion.

I called Motorcycle Superstore and another set of padding is only ~$22 so I'm not gonna sweat it. Anyway, they called HJC while I waited and confirmed that to tighten it up I could install the interior for a size Small if I wanted too, as they share the same size shell.

I will wear it a while and then decide if I want to stick with the Med or get a snugger Small pad set.

The Amber shield is not as optically perfect as I would expect. Sitting still at a light you can turn your head side-to-side while staring at an object and see a bit of distortion. Prob not too noticeable while moving. I am also concerned that this amber shield is not as dark as I would like for sunny days (when you ride most). It seems like it would be better at dusk however. Again I will use it for a while and see how it goes.

The shield change mechanism seems quite robust. Its just a tad awkward (would be easier to pull lever instead of push) but I'm sure it will get more intuitive after a few shield changes, which I don't do a lot of anyway.

I wasn't expecting but did receive a free promotional amber Pinlock shield insert with it, and both the stock clear and amber shields have the pins to attach it to. I installed it into the standard clear shield and it makes it look about the same as the amber shield. If I had known I was getting this free sample I might have ordered something other than the replacement amber shield, like smoke, so I would have had three options. As it is the pinlock insert just gives me another amber option, albeit the clear shield looks kinda wierd with that installed - clear around edges and amber in the middle. I much prefer the cleaner look of the regular amber shield.

Oh well; maybe on bright days I can put the amber insert into my amber shield and see if that darkens it up more.

It came with a nice carry bag too, more like a little duffel with an extra zippered pocket on one side.

I have worn this lid for only one short ride to work and back and can't comment too extensively yet, on airflow, etc. I am expecting a longer ride this wknd.

But, overall, fairly happy for the $415 I paid (plus the extra shield). It would have cost me closer to $600 for the same X-11 I am replacing. Its a very nice looking helmet; very light, seems very functional, and I would say outstanding finish. As always, fit may vary. For me personally I wish I had tried this one on before ordering. I am hoping I can get used to it or install a different interior to get the fit more perfect, as that is what I had with my previous helmet.

Will post more after I wear it on a longer ride.>>>>>>>>>>

Well not too much different to report after a longer ride.

It seems that this lid rides a little higher in front than my last one, sometimes I need to grab the chin bar and just pull the front down a tiny bit. (I am judging this by the top of the eye port, I tend to use it like a small visor for the sun, so I notice it there).

Probably associated with this is the slight feeling that the bottom edge of the helmet seems to be a little higher that what I am used to. This adds to my urge to pull the front of the helmet down further.

So, either the lid is just designed to have a higher eyeport and shell bottom edge, or its not sitting fully down on my head. The difference is small so it may just be me getting used to a different helmet.

Otherwise I do like it. Its LIGHT! Vents seem to work though I wasn't as able to tell an obvious difference that easily.

Only other thing I noticed is that it makes some faint whooshing through the top vent when open, and a couple other small whistles at times while just riding or holding my head lower than normal. That probably varies from bike to bike due to windscreen height etc..

I do plan on ordering the Small padding insert to see if that helps the fit on my head, which is an individual thing.

• Member Contributer

If you're checking out carbon fiber helmets, take a look at Akuma.

Web Bike World Review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/akuma-phantom-2/

It's a bit more than the others, but it comes with a Transitions face shield - darkens in sunlight just like glasses.

I've seen them online for around 400 bucks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I've got an AGV Ti-Tech that I've been wearing for a couple years. I got lucky and found it on CL. . . It's mostly kevlar though and only the chin is carbon fiber. I think AGV's reasoning was that the kevlar was more abrasion resistant.

The new GP Tech is the same basic construction. Rossi's been getting off bikes on tracks for awhile now with these helmets, so they seem to work alright.

post-14889-126642614511.jpg

I have ordered a Schuberth C3 Carbon, to bee delivered in 2 weeks.

carbon_HP_01.jpg

After reading this thread I ´m confident that I will get a helmet that are lighter and stronger than my old C2, and not as brittle as some claims.

Only thing I´m a little curious to know, Are cf helmets isolating heat (from the sun) better than ordinary dark colored helmets?

I have read somewhere that cf slip-ons don,t get as hot as metal slip-ons.

• Member Contributer

I have ordered a Schuberth C3 Carbon, on impulse, to bee delivered in 2 weeks.

After reading this thread I ´m confident that I will get a helmet that are lighter and stronger than my old C2, and not as brittle as some claims.

Only thing I´m a little curious to know, Are cf helmets isolating heat (from the sun) better than ordinary dark colored helmets?

I like the looks of that helmet. I think I'll read into it a bit when I finally decide my TI-Tech is getting worn out.

As far as heat transfer for CF vs metal, I know that metal conducts head more than fiber, so that is probably why the exhaust is cooler. I'm not sure about the helmet part as mine is yellowish.

Tob, I have an AXO RR6 Carbon (same as in linked pic) and I can't say I've noticed any difference in heat isolation, it replaced a black AGV Q3 and I still found it to get pretty warm on sunny days. The ventilation system in it works a treat from around 80km/h onwards, though.

RR6carbon.JPG

• 10 months later...

carbon_HP_01.jpg

Finally got my C3 Carbon from Schuberth, delivered one year after I ordered it. Why it took a year to deliver, I don't know. It is a limited production of 2000 units. Mine is no. 1686.

It is a perfect fit and feels comfortable. The light wheight is surprising, compared to the old C2. Now I'll have to wait for for the snow to melt, to test the other qualities, as low sound level, water tightness and antifog.

I have also ordered The bluetooth com system.

Hopefully it will not last a year before delivery on this.

Archived