Titanium Connecting Rods, Oh My! (Update 21/1/14)

Well, I'm back to work now, sitting in front of a bank of 8 computer screens, foot elevated, and watching the latest Top Gear episodes, er I mean, Safety training films!

Could be worse, the place could be running like crap and I'd actually have to concentrate on something! :biggrin:

post-554-1256444894_thumb.jpg

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rob,

Glad to hear your back at work on Light Duty, that's a good start. :biggrin:

Lets hope you work through options on your ankle and maybe even new processes for repair are developed.

BR

Well, the flexibility is coming around, if I lay down, put both legs straight out together and compare, I can almost flex the borked foot upwards as much as the good foot. I need about another 1-2 inches to be even, which is a huge improvement from 3 weeks ago.

Flexing it downwards is not nearly as good, but that direction is less important for walking than upwards is.

• 2 weeks later...

Big props to JES_VFR for his advice to hit the pool for some rehab. :blush:

As of Nov 4th, I am "allowed" to start putting "some" weight on the foot, so I was off to the pool yesterday and got right busy WALKING!

When the water is up to my armpits, I can walk around no probs without strain or pain, so I spent an hour or so yesterday and an hour again today going back and forth at the pool, just before the dropoff to the deep end.

Sounds boring I know, but it's exciting for me anyhow. One step towards recovery! :fing02:

Swimming is a bit uncomfortable, I tried doing a couple of easy laps and the shoulder was complaining a bit. Didn't push that too far, I let the shoulder win that argument, for now.

Big props to JES_VFR for his advice to hit the pool for some rehab. :blush:

As of Nov 4th, I am "allowed" to start putting "some" weight on the foot, so I was off to the pool yesterday and got right busy WALKING!

When the water is up to my armpits, I can walk around no probs without strain or pain, so I spent an hour or so yesterday and an hour again today going back and forth at the pool, just before the dropoff to the deep end.

Sounds boring I know, but it's exciting for me anyhow. One step towards recovery! :fing02:

Swimming is a bit uncomfortable, I tried doing a couple of easy laps and the shoulder was complaining a bit. Didn't push that too far, I let the shoulder win that argument, for now.

Good on ya!! Your attitude is admirable.

I can understand how you felt about it possibly sounding boring to regular mortals but being exciting for you... I spent a year being unable to walk due to spinal lesions... faced two operations on my back as the first one failed... they spoke of fusing vertabrae but I was lucky to end up in the hands of a neurosurgeon who was old enough to have plenty of experience, but young enough to challenge some of the ingrained thinking/approaches... he was a firm believer in not fusing and not removing the entire disc, only the offending portions... I was informed that the most common unwanted outcome of the surgery was a "limp foot"... such that I would not be able to lift the foot upward (flex), although it was a relatively low percentage of cases which suffered that fate... statistics smiled on me in both operations and I am lucky enough to have full use of my foot.

I still have a lot of painful and bothersome symptoms and am sometimes laid up in bed, and my spine just gets worse with time, but I'm determined to keep riding and stay active and get as much out of life as possible and avoid burning as many bridges due to (often outdated) irreversible surgical methods as I can...

One of the keys is being constant... establish routines and stick to them... you have to be patient but you also have to push the envelope, it can be tricky knowing how much, but that's what pain is good for... you'll discover how much pain = gain and how much = slow down... you'll get uncanny delight out of some seemingly insubstantial improvements because for you they're giant leaps which to other men may seem small steps...

Keep it up (and I'm referring to the good work ehhhhh)

Your good self, Bailey and a few others here could probably start a club (an exclusive no-new-members club of course) of some sort...

Big props to JES_VFR for his advice to hit the pool for some rehab. :ohmy:

Very good Rob!

My brother said the Pool was the best thing he ever did for rehab and provided the best & biggest results!

I can't wait to be cleared to get in one! :fing02:

BR

• Member Contributer

Dang Rob, I go silent for too long and this is what happens?!?

Hope the healing process goes relatively quickly and the fusion can be avoided!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to putting some STA-bil in the fuel tank, topping off the tank and starting up the bike.

It runs flawlessly, so that's good. smile.gif

I also found out why the instruments aren't working.

The main plug from the wiring harness that plugs into the PCB for the gauges was knocked loose by the crash.

Plug it back in and all the gauges work.

Only the catch on the plug is broken off, so that's a bummer. Nothing to make it stay plugged. sad.gif

Only the catch on the plug is broken off, so that's a bummer. Nothing to make it stay plugged. sad.gif

Shoot me a pic of your connector, I have a few spare Honda harnesses and may have what you need! the wires are pretty simple to remove from the connector. :rolleyes:

Clean it and add a dab or two of silicon to hold it on! :rolleyes:

Yep, I have had to do that a few times on honda autos.Put a dab of silicone on either side and if possible put a couple zip tyes in a figure eight around the connection or safety wire, just to make sure the connector doesnt get knocked off. I did a connector on my brothers truck like that and it's been fine for 5+ years.

+47 on the pool. I didnt have access to one, but I truly believe my rt. foot would have alot more range if I had the pool. I am also guilty of slacking on the exercises because it hurt too much. I can still feel the screws catch the foot if it moves too far. Hurts like a sum beotch.

• Member Contributer

Big props to JES_VFR for his advice to hit the pool for some rehab. :ph34r:

Very good Rob!

My brother said the Pool was the best thing he ever did for rehab and provided the best & biggest results!

I can't wait to be cleared to get in one! :fing02:

BR

sure Kevin

we *all* love the pool.....

pool-girls-008.jpg

• Member Contributer

Wow, your x rays look similar to mine minus the talus break.

I broke, or rather "crushed" my tibia at the ankle last March in a non motorcycle related accident. Went back to work at the beginning of October, and started to wonder if I'd gone back too soon! I'm on my feet all day(auto tech), and the amount of SUV tires I rotate per day seems to equal the amount of swelling and pain I have in my ankle.

My doctor asked me if I thought I needed rehab, at the time I said no, but I think it I should have gone for it when I was on disability. Ankle is still pretty stiff, but it seems to be loosening up day by day.

Hang in there and do the rehab if you can, I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run!

• Member Contributer

Big props to JES_VFR for his advice to hit the pool for some rehab. :comp13:

Very good Rob!

I can't wait to be cleared to get in one! :comp13:

BR

sure Kevin

we *all* love the pool.....

pool-girls-008.jpg

:blink: :blink: :blink:

:comp13:

:blush:

:wub:

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

Doesn't exist without pics, so here you go.

The one with no hardware is the "before" picture.

Notice that the Tibia and the Talus bone are mashed together with about 1.5cm of overlap.

Y'ouch. That doesn't look like much fun.

I will say, between your and Kevin's incidents, I no longer even think of getting on the bike without boots on, I slacked off the last few years. Now that I'm commuting 20 miles I was tempted to ride with cheapo leather dress shoes that just covered my ankles. Now way, I wear the Sidi's for riding and carry the office shoes in to work & change there, even though it's a hassle. So thank you both, complacency can be the enemy. Not that you weren't atgatt, but not being atgatt makes the risk that much worse. sad.gif

Doesn't exist without pics, so here you go.

The one with no hardware is the "before" picture.

Notice that the Tibia and the Talus bone are mashed together with about 1.5cm of overlap.

Ouch is right, that is pretty bad.

But Just so that you keep your head up, Mine started with a bunch of metal in it and then as they took that out, they glued, screwed, stapled and wrapped parts of my ankle back together.

I think mine was worse as there was more damage to the talus and other bones, but only the small tab was fractured off the tibia.

Keep at it my friend.

I hope I never have to learn which bones are which.

The only way I learn that is breaking them myself. :dry:

Hopefully the healing is coming along, and some of the metal will go away soon. :blink:

Rob,

I hope you are getting stronger day by day. I stumbled (no pun intended) across this thread---wow! I wish you a speedy recovery and hopefully you can "swim" with some girls in the above photo..LOL. Hang in there brother.

Thanks all, I was in the pool today doing deepwater walking.

Doc wants one more MRI so he can check on a crack in the talus that he's concerned about and if it looks OK, he'll give me the OK to ramp up the weight bearing on dry land.

It's slowly improving. Now go and hassle Kevin, he's twice the target I am! :goofy:

Archived