Titanium Connecting Rods, Oh My! (Update 21/1/14)

• Member Contributer

Rob,

I've been away from VFRD for weeks and just read the thread. I'm terribly sorry to read all this and hope Discovery Channel gets better programming soon!

Best wishes for a 90%+ recovery for both the shoulder and foot. Oh, and thanks for taking one for the team! +1.gif :fing02:

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Staples dont hurt one bit coming out. Last time half of mine just came out. I removed the rest, no pain at all.

thanks but you lie! :fing02:

every one of mine hurt.

but they're gone now, one more milestone passed!

going to pick up the hulk that was my bike next Saturday with truck, trailer and volunteer Wes.

He's the dude in the orange shirt in the hospital pics in the gallery link in my 1st post.

Thanks guys, feeling a little better every day, gaining a few scant millimeters of travel in the ankle day by day, mostly gotten off the percocet, except for two at night to help me sleep.

Back to see the bone doc in the first week of Oct, and he should greenlight me to go back to work on light duty.

Good thing because I'm going stir crazy. The limiting factor in going back to work is how long I can manage to stay in a seated position without elevating the foot. Right now, it's about an hour, but getting better.

2 weeks ago, it was only like 5 min, then it would commence to throbbing mightily.

I should have 'mo bettah pics of the motorcycle next week when I go to retrieve it from my sister's garage in Red Deer.

There is a repair method for ac sep , its a rockwell screw method. I would be addressing that as quickly as possible. Surely there are some decent Orthopedic surgeons in canada.

I will be talking to a shoulder guy at the hospital, the guy that did my foot is a highly qualified orthopedic surgeon, but one who specializes in feet and ankles. He said that he would refer me to the shoulder surgon for a consult.

He said that there ARE plenty of methods for fixing a separated AC joint, but none that really work well 100% of the time.

Mostly, the screw pulls out, or the repair fails at some point in time.

My GP here at home has the exact same AC joint separation as me, I even felt his shoulder and it feels tented exactly like mine does. He's been wheeling around for decades like that and has not had any real problems. I guess joining the circus and doing the flying trapeze act is not in the cards, but beyond that, a failed AC joint is not the end of the world.

The other problem is that if I got it done RIGHT NOW, I'd be completely helpless, unable to move around with crutches.

I'm actually quite mobile with my crutches, and although the shoulder feels "not right", it isn't the real crux of my difficulties at the moment.

Thanks for your suggestion and I'll ask the shoulder guy abut the rockwell screw method. smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

It was snowing outside a few days ago, and when I came inside, there was snow on the bottom of my crutches and they slid out when I hit the warm linoleum in the kitchen.

I went down like a sack of bricks on the kitchen floor, landing heavily on the bottom of my foot, which was, thankfully, encased in Das Boot (see avatar). Crap! :mellow:

Went to the bone doc, had some more Xrays taken, and thankfully I didn't damage anything he fixed, nor anything new, but it sure smarted the next day. Phew! :fing02:

I think they save the bad news for later though, as he's now stating that in about 2 years or so, he'll probably want to do a complete ankle fusion. So, I'll likely be wearing a convex shoe from then on. :blush:

This is NOT my foot below, but it's the type of hardware I will probably wind up with in a couple of years:

pantaxray.jpg

pantadetails.jpg

I asked him if some folks prove him wrong and continue to motor about with little problems, and he said that some do, but his opinion was that I'll probably need the fusion in the semi-near future.

• Member Contributer
UPDATE:

I think they save the bad news for later though, as he's now stating that in about 2 years or so, he'll probably want to do a complete ankle fusion. So, I'll likely be wearing a convex shoe from then on. :mellow:

Fusion as in no movement? Or limited ankle movement?

Fusion as in no movement? Or limited ankle movement?

Fusion as in NO movement. Hence the need for a shoe with a convex bottom. :mellow:

Maybe the 2010 VFR1200 with auto transmission is in my future???

Wow Rob, sure glad you didn't brake or re brake anything with that fall!

Heal quickly my friend!!! :mellow:

That makes two of us there, roomie! :fing02:

The reason that he didn't do total fusion right off the hop is because the talus bone was shattered into about 4 pieces, so there was really nothing solid to fix the tibia to, in order to immobilize the joint.

Once the talus bone is 100% healed, then he can proceed with the fusion, as he has to grind the end of the tibia completely flat, grind the top of the talus completely flat, and the Titanium nail comes with a nifty insertion tool that compresses everything together, as the bones heal/fuse together much better when they are under compression.

The hardware stays in after they remove the insertion/compression tool, and becomes permanent.

pantaopen.jpg

Oh Crap, I know lot about that ankle injury.

If you ever want that ankle to move again, only you can bear down and get it moving.

Sorry, but Ive been there

My talus, tibia and calcaneous were just a jigsaw puzzle when I got hit in the service.

Fortunately there was so much shrapnel in the area that they could not fuse the joint immediately. In fact they ended up having to do a bone graft on the talus which further pushed their prediction that I would fused back.

As soon as the sutures healed, I was in the pool. Walking with a harness first, then just a pole to ensure balance, then nothing.

I swam everyday as well, which kept the leg and foot muscles moving.

By the time I was back in the surgeons office to discuss fusing the talus and tib, there was no good reason for him to do it.

I'm still missing that inner ledge on the tibia, so I have to watch that I don't allow it to snap inward and cause a severe sprain.

And a few people notice that foot does track straight, but that is it.

I think too many surgeons are ready to fuse joints these days. I'd make sure that there is no other possibility, before I'd let a Doctor fuse the joint.

Thanks John, I'm not rushing for the surgery. I'll have to see how much mobility I gain, and how walking is (when I get around to it). Zero weight bearing until Dec 4th.

Apparently some of my cartilage is destroyed, so we'll have to see what problems that causes.

Really, if I can get by without more carving up like a thanksgiving turkey, I'm not volunteering.

But if every single step is agony for the rest of my life, then I'll have to take their recommendations seriously.

Thanks John, I'm not rushing for the surgery. I'll have to see how much mobility I gain, and how walking is (when I get around to it). Zero weight bearing until Dec 4th.

Apparently some of my cartilage is destroyed, so we'll have to see what problems that causes.

Really, if I can get by without more carving up like a thanksgiving turkey, I'm not volunteering.

But if every single step is agony for the rest of my life, then I'll have to take their recommendations seriously.

I hear everything you are saying.

I have a significant amount of cartilage damage in my ankle as well (shrapnel doesn't really care what it tears through).

And I'm not totally pain free either.

But for me its not agony (although therapy was) in every single step.

I guess what I was just trying to say, is just to make sure that you exhaust all possibilities and don't let them rush you into having the fusing done because its a burn the bridge sort of event.

You have a good attitude and know that it's not going to be a stroll in the park, but an uphill fight.

Keep your spirits up.

And stay away from that automatic VFR.

If you need to shift without that foot, I'll come up and rig the solenoids, buttons and rods for you.

What an unfortunate story, Rob. I missed this in the original post.

Glad to hear you are making progress. I had a get off in 2004 where I broke my knee cap and dislocated my shoulder, much like your accident. I had a great orthopaedic doctor and he suggested to wait as long as possible for the surgery - with years of exercise and rehab I'm running and fully functional. Hopefully with time things will sort themselves out. Good luck with your recovery.

The mechanno set is long gone, I don't miss it a bit.

Now I have a lovely Ski Boot:

Swede-O-Aeris-Walking-Boot.gif

But I'm not allowed to walk in it, even though it's a "walking boot".

Zero weight bearing for three months, then we'll see.

Every time I take the boot off to elevate and rest the foot, I have to try to bring my "toes to my nose".

Yeah right, easier said than done. Getting the foot to assume a 90' angle is going to be a really, really big ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know your pain i have 13 screws in my fib and tib one in front of ankle and they had to cut my akilies..................no fusion yet but I do not have full range dorsey flex is limited now where a lift in my shoe.......pm if you want rehab is the key don't give up it took me 17 mounths before i got back to work Thank God....................

Please listen to me on this .....veefer800canuck...They told me may i may need fusion I said no..they said may not walk again i did..rehab took me about 7 months before walking without a cane.....it took 6 more months before walk without pain...cartlage can grow back chondrotine helps...i have more range now but it took over a year,,,,,,,,,, you may need akilies lengthinging .my ankle looked like a softball everyday for a year i iced it after work or walking. it sore as hell for a year..do not give up and try to get through it before fusion....i had 4 surgeries on it and was considering an ankle replacement not very successful..i broke it march 23 2004 and sometimes to this day i may need a cane weather changes...but it has gotten stronger and can run with a limp for short distances..once they fuse the ankle thats it.... please do not do it right away give it time......rehab will be tough i know this, bite the bullet and stay tough.....any questions please pm i will help you....they can change a heart but not an ankle go figure...

If you need to shift without that foot, I'll come up and rig the solenoids, buttons and rods for you.

Actually, I've already considered an electric shifter, if necessary.

But that's a long way off too, I've got to rehab, get some financial things sorted and so on before I even begin to consider rebuilding my bike.

In my current state, once healed, I'll be able to shift gears. IF/WHEN I get ankle fusion, then an electric shifter would be something to look at, but again, that's all way too far off to seriously consider ATM.

http://www.pingelonline.com/eshifter_universal.htm

....they can change a heart but not an ankle go figure...

Yeah, but 5 out of 6 never get that new heart in time.. :rolleyes:

Actually, they DO have replacement ankles, it's called the STAR system.

l811%20a%20b.jpg

before-after-anklesurgery.png

But, since my talus was so badly damaged, the bone doc doesn't think I'm a good candidate for the surgery, he warned me it would likely fail, and he wouldn't do the replacement unless I absolutely insisted, even then, he'd make me sign a waiver stating that I absolve him of any responsibility and that I realize it's quite likely not to work, and also most likely to fail in the future.

Another reason is because I am so young, and more mobile, that artificial joints don't hold up to the type of abuse a younger patient would inflict on the replacement joint. 10 years is about the max they expect any artificial joint to last, so I'd be shopping for a new ankle at around age 55.

Fusion is at least a permanent solution, not the nicest one, but one with the least amount of future complications, assuming good healing out of the box. It won't need to be re-done at some future point.

If nothing else, I think he's a straight shooter. If there was any better alternative, he'd suggest it.

But on the bright side, I'm gaining more range of motion through my exercising the foot, trying to get my "toes to my nose".

I could barely move it when I got my cast off mid-september, and now it's remarkably flexible and gaining distance daily.

So we'll see. Time, time, time. And I've got lots of that. More than money, that's for sure!

Great to hear you're keeping things on a positive level, and I think you're lucky to have a doc who won't beat around the bush and lay it all on the table for you. A second opinion never hurts, but it sounds like it is what it is. Just keep your head up, get through rehab, and go from there.

Actually, I've already considered an electric shifter, if necessary.

But that's a long way off too, I've got to rehab, get some financial things sorted and so on before I even begin to consider rebuilding my bike.

In my current state, once healed, I'll be able to shift gears. IF/WHEN I get ankle fusion, then an electric shifter would be something to look at, but again, that's all way too far off to seriously consider ATM.

http://www.pingelonline.com/eshifter_universal.htm

The Pingle shifter is fine, but we just used some simple ones with our own switches when we were building the system that we put on Darren's bikes.

he's a buddy of mine that has lost the use of his left leg and the lower portion of his right, but he still rides.

A few of his buddies got together and pooled all our skills to make modify his bikes so he can ride.

That is where I learned to hate BMW CANBUS wiring system.

Archived