Titanium Connecting Rods, Oh My! (Update 21/1/14)

Well, I've been lurking for the past long while, some of you might have noticed my extended absence, (at least I HOPE some of you have).......

So I figure now is the best time to let loose, and sorry to Miguel in advance for having crashed the server (in anticipation of the hits this thread may generate).

Thing is, I've been plotting how to segue into my latest mod for the past three weeks......

The summit meet was a great way to put faces to names, ride some fantastic scenery, get stuck behind many a car, etc.

A lot of you guys who travel with Ipods have something to keep your mind interested on long highway trips.

For me, I don't, and I have long periods of time on an 11 day stateside trip to concoct things to do in the future.

Heading West is a great way to invigorate the mind and stimulate new and fabulous ideas. Getting near the mountains and appreciating the beauty of nature stirs the soul.

Finally, on the way home, by the time I got to Sylvan Lake, it hit me!

I think Sebastian planted the seed a few months ago when he jokingly (and maybe seriously) suggested that I should get a set of Titanium conecting rods (in preparation for a Torocharger kit).

Well, after telling him that such a job would leave me totally broke, my wiser inner half told me that he was only pulling my foot.

So the only logical thing to do was to go for it, and have a custom set of Titanium connecting rods made up!!!

Now I know everyone by now must be clamoring to get a gander at these little babies, but after what I paid, they are not for the faint of heart, so I think I'll have to direct your attention to this offsite link. There are other pics in that album if you want to stroll through them, so feel free to.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a280/veefer800canuck/Sylvan%20Lake%20accident%20pics/
Offsite link to custom connecting rods, click me!

And for those of you who have my cell phone number (from the summit meet), and want to know how they can get a set for themselves, let me just say PLEASE DO NOT PHONE asking for a set for you as they are extremely limited production and I'm not going through the necessary hoops to have another set made.

Besides that, my wife has the cell phone as it lives in our Mini-van so I wouldn't answer it anyhow.......

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Oh no, that completely sucks Rob. Glad it wasn't worse, hope the foot heals up quick.

The bike looks pretty tweaked, sorry, you had so much heart & soul invested in it. Hope it can be put back together.

Don't worry all, this isn't the end, just the beginning of part II.

Cruising canadatrader.com as we speak, there are 19 5th gen examples for sale, going to buy back my wreck and go from there........

I may be away from the board for awhile until I get back to work, which should be in a week or so. I can still operate the Gas Plant from the control room, all I have to do is be able to run a chair with roller wheels, a pen and a mouse. smile.gif

So don't sweat it if the updates are not timely, I will be back in 'da house in a week or so with all the 411 for you detail hounds.

For now, you can all revel in the slim fact that it was not my fault.

Gotta run and take my meds now........... Wheeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I repeat, please no phonecalls, keep it to this thread and PM's, but don't freak if I don't reply right away, could take me days, but I'm still here, just living life in the slow lane for awhile.

(the missus is understandably upset IYKWIM)

• Member Contributer

Mr. Rob, not you! OMG. Well, you'll have to keep us posted on performance improvements. Any weight savings? Better Gas (mileage)?

Won't ask too many questions, other than when you're all healed, are you going to mount the rods to the bike?

Take care my friend.

• Member Contributer

I see titanium rods and immediatley I hit Ron Aryers for an RC45 titanium rod price quote for you... whoa $461 x 4 but as I click your link to compare prices me jaw drops... mercy Rob wheres the rest of the story???

DANG!!! Hopefully the Ti rods are only a short term mod, as I'm sure the performance was much better w/o them installed. Perhaps lighter isn't always better, especially when they are externally mounted!!! Hope you get better quickly, andafgter reading the boldface words, I'm glad that's all that happened, as I have seen and heard worse!!!

Oh man that smarts!!

FOllow Doctor's orders and try to enjoy the rebuild... both yours and the bikes... Pity we live so far away from each other... I may very well be parting out an entire 5th gen in perfect working order in the very near future...

Aww man - that just sucks. Hope you heal up soon, and that things work out for ya.

Damn good sense of humour on ya!

I can't imagine what your wife is thinking. You mention this crash/event wasn't your fault - I'm (as everyone is) waiting to hear what happened.

Hang in there.

Oh no Rob, you did it wrong!! Not that kind!!

I wish you well brother, heal fast & soon - enjoy the meds but don't let them get the best of ya.

Who wants to start a pool to get the man a naughty nurse?? :beer:

Damn Rob, that really SUX!!!!!! :beer:

Fib/ Tib snapped? Looks just like my bros left foot after his crash.

Where did this happen, did you make it home from the Summit? :laugh:

Heal quickly my friend!

BR

Guest vfrrider

OWE :beer:

Here I am thinking like Mr RC45 and where's the RC30 con rods, but I would gladly pay for them as compared.

Heal quik, but you got all winter to redo the GL800RR again. And I hope at someone else's expense.

Larry

VFRRider

Archived