Titanium Connecting Rods, Oh My! (Update 21/1/14)

• Member Contributer

Wow. That's pretty awful that you had to wait that long. When it comes to tearing things (especially ligaments), they need to be done ASAP before they retract and can't be reattached. Good luck!

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Good luck and a speedy recovery Rob...hope you get a great physical therapist after the surgery.

My puny in comparison grade 1 A-C separation seems to have mostly healed itself.

Wow. That's pretty awful that you had to wait that long. When it comes to tearing things (especially ligaments), they need to be done ASAP before they retract and can't be reattached. Good luck!

Well if they fixed my shoulder at the same time as the ankle, I could not get out of bed, use crutches, nothing.

After I was mobile, they were giving me the "Well, MOST people don't have to get this repair done, and they get along fine with it being separated, etc..."

Yeah whatever. It don't feel right when I'm lifting stuff, or doing any overhead work, wrenching, and so on.

• Member Contributer

Best of luck Rob. Shoulder surgery is no fun. When I had mine, the surgeon did a good job, but was 'old school' and didn't put a lot of emphasis on post op physical therapy. As a result, my shoulder stiffened up quite a bit and I ended up with a lot more, and lot more painful physical therapy. I got most range of motion back, but it was tougher than it needed to be due to the delay. I should have had the re-hab plan nailed down tight before surgery. It should all be good. I think you'll be happy you had it done.

• Member Contributer

Good luck, Sir and look into using a kettlebell for your re-hab. A guy at work had the same surgery and was religious about his rehab. He's got about 90% ROM with no pain, except when the weather changes.

Good luck, Rob; I honestly and fervently hope things go well for you.

Even though I damaged my shoulder in 1999, and then suffered what I expect is permanent partial nerve/physical disability of the same shoulder due to 'medical misadventure' during open-heart surgery in 2010, I can't really appreciate the sh!t you're having to go through. Eight months of physio helped to regain about 75% or so mobility, so I can't complain (but frequently do anyway, as it hurts most days, and sometimes it gets "the shakes" or doesn't work properly, but thems the breaks - or as the surgeon said, "You get that sometimes...").

All the best, Sir.

I am somewhat embarassed to confess this, however it took me until page 2 to figure out this wasn't about the type of connecting rod I thought it was, and actually go back to click on the pics in the first post! :ohmy:

Skipping to the end, it looks like someone is still recovering. In that case, godspeed and good recovery. Remember, therapists are insane and cruel, but they are there for your own good. I promise. :tongue:

Best of luck and hope you are fully recovered by the spring.

Dead man's ligament? Doesn't that make you "FrankinRob" on a "Frankinviffer"?

Sorry, but someone had to say it....

• 2 months later...

Off to the horsetable today to get my separated AC joint hacked, roped down and stitched down with Dead Guy Ligament.

And this might not be the last go around. I'm slowly but surely developing arthritis in my metatarsal bones of the left foot, due to the ankle fusion.

Yes I wear my special-kid shoes, but it only helps so much. Might have to eventually have debridement done on the joints of the 4th metatarsal bones.

I'll ask for my foot Dr. to stop by my room after the shoulder fixing to see what he says. I'll be sometime later though, I'm ok enough for the near term.

10.3928_01477447-20110526-11-fig2.jpg

• Member Contributer

Back among the living - great news. Thanks for the best laugh of my day with that medicine ball on a bike pic in another thread. That response must have come shortly before you went under. Best of luck with your recovery.

• Member Contributer

The gift that keeps on giving (the crash), at least you seem to be in good spirits. Hope the recovery is quick, riding season is just around the corner!

Tube in throat the worst part?

Wow, sounds like you got off easy for once.

Hope it was a complete success. :beer:

• Member Contributer
Out of surgery feeling great

Tube in the throat was the worst part right now

Munching on ice chips

They did that to me - the anesthesiologist turned the back of my throat in to hamburger. I figured he must have been a plumber before going in to medicine. The surgeon looked and said "wow, that's nasty - well, at least I didn't do THAT to you". :dry: Here's to a speedy and complete recovery. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Wow V 8 C. I'd never looked at this thread because no way could I afford T con rods. So sad to realize the truth. You are one tough dude. Best of fortune to you in your recovery.

Archived