My Shinko Experiment

SpiralGray

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the final update on this thread as the Shinko 009s that I put on in July 2009 came off today. The rear was down to the wear bars in the center. The front probably had a bit of life left in it, but it was getting pretty cupped.

I put the tires on at 6477 miles. The bike now has 16286 on it, so I got 9809 miles out of the tires. My hope was to get 10000 and I probably could have done it by doing a short day-ride before swapping the tires, but with another trip coming up I didn't want to cut it close just to prove a point.

I rode them on boring, straight-as-an-arrow roads (like west from Salt Lake City) to super twisty stuff, from 100+ degree weather to 40 and pouring rain. They performed well in all conditions, I never felt like I needed to baby the bike because I couldn't trust the tires.

My total investment in 2009 when I put them on was $202.70, so I paid about $0.02 per mile over the life of the tires.

What did I replace them with? Another set of 009s. The prices have gone up a tiny bit (tires were about $6 more and mount/balance was about $10 more), so total investment this time around was $218.76. Still a whole lot better than the $350-ish that a set of Michelins would run me (with mount and balance).

I hope this thread has helped someone.

• Member Contributer

Thank you for the update, Your experiment has helped me :biggrin: I appreciate your sharing. I have only put about 1100 on the oo9's but have put 2500 on the 712's on my commuter. Great tires at a great price :fing02:

Gary

• Member Contributer

I've had no problems with my Shinko Apex models. The rear even balanced out without any weights. I know I wrote down my starting mileage somewhere. I've got to find it.

• Member Contributer

This is timely, as I'm about to start looking into replacing my tires, and price is definitely a factor. I was wary of the Shinkos a couple of years ago, when I had to replace the rubber on my R6. But now, I'll definitely consider them.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Just a quick update...

A couple of weeks ago some buddies and I did a trip through Washington and B.C. Over four-and-a-bit days we covered 1600 miles that included freeway, hairpins, sweepers, and everything in between. The pavement we encountered went from fresh, black asphalt to tar-snaked old stuff to pitted and shaled ancient stuff. Temperatures ranged (according to the bike's dash) from mid-60s to just over 100. You can read about the trip here if you want.

The tires didn't falter or slip once. They still look like new. I was able to ride at the limit of what I'm comfortable riding (see post #1 for a bit about how I ride). Some folks have reported head shake during deceleration, but I didn't notice it a bit (although, to be fair, most of those reports are after the tires have a few thousand miles on them).

Obviously I won't know for sure until the tires have a few thousand more miles on them, but at this point I'd definitely buy another set. I think they offer a great balance of price and performance for my needs.

I thought I would add this to this thread, since this started me with the 09 ravens Here is my rear tire at 10,795 miles,the front is still in great shape & no change needed yer. Since I am going on a long roadtrip in two weeks, I thought I would change it although there is plenty of life left at $108.00 shipped its a no brainer :tongue: which is good for me I have had no issues what ever with these tires.

post-8073-0-44073700-1345495855.jpg

Here is my rear tire at 10,795 miles

I just finished a trip with the 009s I put on last year. I got a little over 9300 miles out of them and the rear is toast. Flat across the center and right down to the wear bars. Most of my mileage is touring so that might have something to do with it (more weight on the rear with the bags). The front would probably last longer, but I'll likely replace them as a set.

Using Shinko 009s is no experiment; they are fantastic tires. In the last few years I have logged over 58,000 miles in all sorts of weather with 009s on my 4th gen and get 10,000 miles plus from a rear and have gotten as much as 16,000 from a front. These are great high mileage tires that perform well in most conditions. For $159 a pair delivered thay are hard to beat. I have never had a balance issue. Years ago I balanced my wheels with no tires installed and just lever on a new set of tires and go.

• Member Contributer

I had a set of 009's on my 4th Gen until I picked up a nail. I've been running a set of the Advance 005's and have about 4K miles on them. They are a much softer compound and not being a dual compound tire, the rear center is wearing out pretty fast. They won't last much longer. I may go back to the 009's. You can't beat that kind of milage at that price.

Chuck

Using Shinko 009s is no experiment...

Three+ years ago when I started the thread it was a bit of an experiment. At the time there was plenty of poo-poo'ing and teeth gnashing about how cheap tires were going to kill me, blah, blah, blah.

I find it amusing that that still goes on to this day. There's a thread in this very forum where someone was trying to decide on a tire for a mix of commuting and touring. They didn't need anything for knee-down, balls-to-the-wall riding. The author suggested that he'd heard of the 009s. Most of the replies were still along the lines of "Don't trust a budget tire" and "Get a brand name tire." I just priced out PR2s vs. the 009s and it's a $100 difference ($165 vs. $265). That's a 60% premium. Do you know how much gas I can put in the bike with $100 (these days, admittedly not a lot, but every little bit helps).

I just don't understand the "brand name bigots." On the other hand, it probably works out in our favor, because if they got really popular they'd raise the price.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the update and sharing of your experience; that they work for you.

If money was a subject, I'd probably look for a premium brand's end of line tire myself.

EU bike mag Motoplus do a lot of tire testing, they also tested budget tires.

Test performed on a CBR600RR

These guys push the bike, so the resluts may not apply to you if you do not push....

They also put in the class leader for road oriented tires to show the diffrences... I.e. in the wet, the Michelin allows lap times 13 to 21 seconds faster that the budget tires.

From 100kmh, the braking distance to stop increased 14 or 24 meters.....

Secundaite weg dry sweeping roads

nat wegdek wet road

Quick translation of the terms used:

Stuurprecisie is steering precision

bochten is turns

rechtuitstabliliteit stabilty in a straight line

oprichtmoment: bike tendency to straighten up when applying brakes in a turn

acceleratie you can guess this one eh?

grensbereik = border territory how does it feel clsoe to the edge.

remvertraging braking

remweg braking distance

rondetijd laptime

for the rest, google translate is your friend

307029ac.gif

3bc21b6d.jpg

YMMV and that is ok too! :tour:

PS Shinko: they did manage to find a Shink rear tyre no problem. But finding a Shink front tyre proved impossible. They did try the shinko rear with a front of Bridgestone and dunlop. The rear was at its limitquickly wheres the fronts are plenty to spare....

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Enjoyed my Shinko Apex's so much that I ordered another set and did a 2700 trip last week right after getting them mounted. No problems at all. Probably should have gotten the Verge's but o well. The rear hasn't flattened out that much yet.

• Member Contributer

Using Shinko 009s is no experiment...

Three+ years ago when I started the thread it was a bit of an experiment. At the time there was plenty of poo-poo'ing and teeth gnashing about how cheap tires were going to kill me, blah, blah, blah.

I find it amusing that that still goes on to this day. There's a thread in this very forum where someone was trying to decide on a tire for a mix of commuting and touring. They didn't need anything for knee-down, balls-to-the-wall riding. The author suggested that he'd heard of the 009s. Most of the replies were still along the lines of "Don't trust a budget tire" and "Get a brand name tire." I just priced out PR2s vs. the 009s and it's a $100 difference ($165 vs. $265). That's a 60% premium. Do you know how much gas I can put in the bike with $100 (these days, admittedly not a lot, but every little bit helps).

I just don't understand the "brand name bigots." On the other hand, it probably works out in our favor, because if they got really popular they'd raise the price.

i just paid $150.55 for PR2 rear (jake Wilson.com) plus $25 to fit it.

Why would you pay $165 for a lower grade tire.

• 4 weeks later...

I just changed out from the Shinko Ravens. I put 9,000 miles on the back tire before I hit the wear bars. I put about 11,000 miles on the front. The did follow grooves in the road a little, but nothing scary. I had no problems with these tires, although I did go back to Pilot Road 2's. I think I had some mental block about the front end in corners with the ravens. I am similar age/wieght riding style as you and I get 12,000 plus out of the michelins PR2. Ravens are good tires.

Archived