Just Installed Power Commander 5 On My '06!

coderighter

• Member Contributer

my 5th gen has no sensors - so need to make the holes accordingly if i go ahead with the autotune.

Yes, and with a single wide band O2 sensor for the AutoTune positioning it after all the merges will give you the best "average" A/F reading for all the cylinders. The only PCV AutoTune for multiple O2 inputs that I was aware of is for the Harley Davidson's...

Has DynoJet improved the AutoTune module to include multiple O2 sensors for Hondas?

• Member Contributer

Well if you ever get a dyno run done, you'd know that they run a thin pipe down your silencer about 2 feet. So mine is placed much deeper into the exhaust than the dyno version which live in a sniffer box. The sensor is heated so does not matter where you place it..

• Member Contributer

My O2 sensor is mounted exactly where where the bung in that black (TBR?) header is. Pay attention to the orientation that you put the bung in at, there is a recommendation on where in the pipe it goes in. I think it has to be at least 15 degrees above the lateral midline of the pipe as mounted. So for this, and other reasons, don't mount it on the lower 180 degrees of the pipe.

my 5th gen has no sensors - so need to make the holes accordingly if i go ahead with the autotune.

Yes, and with a single wide band O2 sensor for the AutoTune positioning it after all the merges will give you the best "average" A/F reading for all the cylinders. The only PCV AutoTune for multiple O2 inputs that I was aware of is for the Harley Davidson's...

Has DynoJet improved the AutoTune module to include multiple O2 sensors for Hondas?

I'd think with a little creative splicing and making sure that the right fuel injectors go to the same box, you could run a dual setup (2x PCV w 2x WB autotune) with the front and rear banks each treated as a 2 cyl engine.

Mohawk, we might have had this discussion before, but are you running a vacuum switch to shutoff WB tuning during decel?

One last thing I just remembered, if you are installing this on a 5th gen, there is enough cord to get the PCV up under the seat, but just that. I really wish they had another 6-10" of cord so I could put it back in the space under the cowl or have just a bit more slack. Mine is back about as far as I could put it, and still be comfortable with the tension of the cable. It lands almost directly behind the battery box lid; close enough that I have to pull the PCV off its velcro to open the battery box.

• Member Contributer

My O2 sensor is mounted exactly where where the bung in that black (TBR?) header is. Pay attention to the orientation that you put the bung in at, there is a recommendation on where in the pipe it goes in. I think it has to be at least 15 degrees above the lateral midline of the pipe as mounted. So for this, and other reasons, don't mount it on the lower 180 degrees of the pipe.

I'd think with a little creative splicing and making sure that the right fuel injectors go to the same box, you could run a dual setup (2x PCV w 2x WB autotune) with the front and rear banks each treated as a 2 cyl engine.

Mohawk, we might have had this discussion before, but are you running a vacuum switch to shutoff WB tuning during decel?

One last thing I just remembered, if you are installing this on a 5th gen, there is enough cord to get the PCV up under the seat, but just that. I really wish they had another 6-10" of cord so I could put it back in the space under the cowl or have just a bit more slack. Mine is back about as far as I could put it, and still be comfortable with the tension of the cable. It lands almost directly behind the battery box lid; close enough that I have to pull the PCV off its velcro to open the battery box.

With the vacuum switch install any data on the increase in MPG's ?

• Member Contributer

I don't think it affects MPG much, if at all. The PCV operates in two modes, learning (using the O2 sensor) or running whatever map + trims are stored. There are connections on the PCV that determine if the PCV is "learning". If there is continuity (switch ON) between these two connections, the PCV is learning. In learning mode, the PCV continually adjusts "trim" values that are then added to (or subtracted from) the base map. When there is no continuity between the two connection (switch OFF), the bike doesn't adjust the trim values; it just uses whatever base + trim happens to be stored at that RPM/Throttle position. The problem with autotune is that if the bike is in overrun, odd values seem to be stored in the trim.

What the vacuum switch does is turn off the "learning" mode during decel, so only adjustments to trim are made when the bike is cruising or acclerating.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I don't think it affects MPG much, if at all. The PCV operates in two modes, learning (using the O2 sensor) or running whatever map + trims are stored. There are connections on the PCV that determine if the PCV is "learning". If there is continuity (switch ON) between these two connections, the PCV is learning. In learning mode, the PCV continually adjusts "trim" values that are then added to (or subtracted from) the base map. When there is no continuity between the two connection (switch OFF), the bike doesn't adjust the trim values; it just uses whatever base + trim happens to be stored at that RPM/Throttle position. The problem with autotune is that if the bike is in overrun, odd values seem to be stored in the trim.

What the vacuum switch does is turn off the "learning" mode during decel, so only adjustments to trim are made when the bike is cruising or acclerating.

Thanks for clearing that up . I have PC5 on my 08 .