Auto Tint On A Helmet Shield

Guest Radioaktiv

Guest Radioaktiv

sorry if this has been discussed, i did try a search and perhaps missed the thread

is there any reason why automotive tint would not work on a helmet shield?

i only ask because my helmet seems to be rather rare, in combination with being a few years old...and the very few tinted shields i found for sale were $75+. unfortunately, that's just too expensive for me at this point.

i currently have a Fog City tinted insert, but i am looking for another option perhaps, as (some of you probably know) the Fog City insert scratches quite easily...along with it not giving full coverage.

thank you for any help or pointing me in the right direction on this.

• Member Contributer

There is no reason why it wouldn't work. If your gonna do it, mybe you should search for an anti fog type of tint.

Yeah man, it will not work. I've been there and tried that. The glue on the tint wont stick to plastic, and the tint will not curve right. Ask any tint shop and they'll tell you the same thing. If you want to try it though, go for it, just make sure you use an old visor, and not a good one.

I'm in almost the same boat. My helmet has been discontinued, and the visors too. So I'm stuck making my own visors for it now.

• Member Contributer

I have tried a one inch strip of home window tint (high heat reflection/mirror type) across the top section of my visor. It worked very well except it wouldn't stay completely stuck along the big radius curve of the shield. Thinner automotive style tint would probably have a better chance at that.

I been doing this to my helmets for years........

I just use auto film...... 1st , cut a strip about 3in.'s wide.... put it up against the Top Outside of the visor (leaving enough over hang to cut along the top edge.... this is to get the visor shape/line..... then take the film off and lie it on a sheet of paper, then draw along the top line of the film, now take the film off the paper and draw a inch strip on the paper using the top line you established ....*******"I'd not try to use paper to do the first steps"*******

After getting the strip cut, your goal is to apply the film under the visor..... But you want to leave the top line of the film just below the top line of the visor ( the object is not to let the water/air seal of the helmet to touch the film when you close it all the way).

I'd use window cleaner to apply****NOT SOAP****

Ehh, by new helmet... yours probably smells funny by now anyway! :laugh:

Why would I do that? I just bought it last year, and have only got about 1500K/M of riding with it.

I just use auto film...... 1st , cut a strip about 3in.'s wide.... put it up against the Top Outside of the visor (leaving enough over hang to cut along the top edge.... this is to get the visor shape/line..... then take the film off and lie it on a sheet of paper, then draw along the top line of the film, now take the film off the paper and draw a inch strip on the paper using the top line you established ....*******"I'd not try to use paper to do the first steps"*******

After getting the strip cut, your goal is to apply the film under the visor..... But you want to leave the top line of the film just below the top line of the visor ( the object is not to let the water/air seal of the helmet to touch the film when you close it all the way).

Window cleaner has solvents which eats at the glue on tint.

If your going to tint use soap, but make sure it is baby shampoo as it has no chemicals or additives.

Window cleaner has solvents which eats at the glue on tint.

If your going to tint use soap, but make sure it is baby shampoo as it has no chemicals or additives.

BTW, Window cleaners like "Windex" have been also known to turn visors foggy/milky over time.

It happened to the visor on my BMW System 2 helmet. It happened so gradually that I didn't notice it till I got a fresh visor to replace it because of a stress crack. Haven't used it since. I now only use Plexus, Pledge or Honda Polish sprays to clean all my visors.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

in combination with being a few years old

I may not have the staight dope on this, but from what I understand, helmets should be replaced every 3-4 years.... sighting material breakdown with time, thereby making said helmet useless upon impact (or close to it )... just my .02 !

:comp13:

i would love a new lid

but unfortunately, i cannot afford it at this time sad.gif

but, i have wondered...what is the 'acceptable' life span of a helmet?

mine is just over 3 years past manufacture date

quote]Window cleaner has solvents which eats at the glue on tint.

The tint sheets I use don't have glue on them in the 1st place.........And I've had the tint stay on forever.....never had a problem using window cleaner......... But if you want to use soap,please do..I find it a hassle to get a good fix......Each to their own.

in combination with being a few years old

I may not have the staight dope on this, but from what I understand, helmets should be replaced every 3-4 years.... sighting material breakdown with time, thereby making said helmet useless upon impact (or close to it )... just my .02 !

:comp13:

I use to custom fit helmets to pilots in the U.S. Navy,and U.S. Air Force.......And also put all of their stick-on designs to the outer shell,as well as visor film strips (with Window cleaner).........But in answer to the life of a helmet, it's more like 5 to 7 years....With no abuse.......I could go into a whole story about trying to get Gen. Chuck Yager,to give up his old lucky helmet that he broke the sound barrier in.........I did make him a new one and told him he can have both his old and new one and wear what he wants.....Monk

"Window cleaner has solvents which eats at the glue on tint.

The tint sheets I use don't have glue on them in the 1st place.........And I've had the tint stay on forever.....never had a problem using window cleaner......... But if you want to use soap,please do..I find it a hassle to get a good fix......Each to their own."

It must just be static tint then. Static tint is complete different, and wont hold up in my region.

We use baby shampoo though, not soap. It's pure with nothing in it to hurt the tint or the glue. You only have to use 4 drops of it per liter of warm water. It's not like there is any massive soapy build up or anything. You almost can't see and soapyness. That's only to apply tint, not to clean the visor though.

Archived